Pasco County Backwater..

Went out today with a good friend to a favorite backwater area that we had left alone for a while. It's an area that's really only accessible by kayak or canoe, so being the two of us, we took the canoe..Anyway, about 15 minutes after paddling we were both surprised about the lack of movement or action on the water, no mullet, no reds tailing, no nothing... The current was moving well (tide was going out) and the moon was rising. About 10 minutes after that we approached a spot where a saw a huge swirl on top of the water I cast my sixwave topwater lure and within seconds it was in the air, (not much) but enough to see it was a nice snook. I kept working it and again it got slammed, but this time on top and game was on. Fought this extremely strong fish for a few minutes and it broke my 20lb fluro leader.. My buddy Chris casted in the same spot, within seconds he had a nice snook, ( It was so quick I thought I was getting my lure back and relieving a snook from a lure from it's mouth). We ventured to the flats to find just an **** load of fish crashing the surface and causing quite a wake non-stop. It was an eventful day, not for the amount of fish that we caught, but the action from reds tailing, mullet going absolutely nuts and the couple of snook that were caught and safely released. Also I should mention the amount of wildlife that we saw, it was just excellent.
Snook that were caught were not that big, but we did see quite a few others dash around below the mangroves. When you are in a spot that constantly has about a 4 foot ledge in front of the groves, you can't go wrong..

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg
Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
http://www.sixwavelures.com
100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads

Replies

• LeftCoastAnglerLeftCoastAngler Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    nice snuk.
    i'll betcha bad bugs too! :)

~LCA.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    Nice !! Bugs..A couple of thermacells will work if there's no wind.
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    To be honest we really didn't get eaten much at all. Couple of horse flies here and there but that was about it..
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,215 Officer
    Nice fish I too am surprised you didn't get ate up by the bugs
    The fish gods watched over you lol

Tommyt
  • FishCaptMikeFishCaptMike Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Wish there were more areas like that around us...nice snookies
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Capt. Mike Wilson
    www.FishCaptMike.com
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    Thanks Mike,

It's an area that's unspoiled and no matter when you go out, it's always going to be a blast even if you don't catch anything, but that's a rarity. We went out for an hour two, caught a couple of reds and got a few nice shots of reds tailing.. I was Surprised of the lack of snook today though, we did see a few scuttle under us but we didn't hook up. See attachment for the nice tail shot.. I had to reduce the file size in order to upload it, hope it's still good:)