Hydraulic Steering Acting Up Again

tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
My seastar helm has a cloud 'clunk/click" noise when changing directions, it also sometimes requires a bit of effort to get the motor to move (quick jerks); I had this issue before, somewhat, where bleeding the system repaired it, but now it seems to be acting a little different; from what I've read the check valve likely has dirt/corrosion in/around it- no leaks at all, just a nice clunk when changing direction- mostly worried about it jamming and then not responding at some point on the water.

Has anyone disassembled one to clean the check valve? Should I take the whole pump off to do the cleaning, or can I safely clean it inside the console? Is a system purge necessary before cleaning the valve, or is it easy to get to?

I've never done the repair before, just trying to do it quickly and easily as possible.
sigsmallx.jpg
Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,381 Officer
    I'm getting ready to do mine also. I looked on THT and found a step by step post of how to disassemble, repair/clean and reassemble. Has pictures also. Kinda in a hurry this morning or I'd post the link. There are spring loaded parts, so the correct method of repair/cleaning is to remove the helm.
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to do mine also. I looked on THT and found a step by step post of how to disassemble, repair/clean and reassemble. Has pictures also. Kinda in a hurry this morning or I'd post the link. There are spring loaded parts, so the correct method of repair/cleaning is to remove the helm.

Thanks- I'll search for that post;

Looks like that means I'm purging the system again.

*fyi, I found this guide, that seems to have some great advice and some pics of the assembly.
    http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=107084&page=2
    sigsmallx.jpg
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
    Looks like the same pics I saw. But, they never said how they cleaned the valve. I guessing a brass brush or brass wheel on a Drammel tool.
    The problem; if I turned the steering wheel very slowly, especially if the air temperature was below 50 degrees, the wheel would turn but the motor would not. If I turned the steering wheel fast, then the steering would engage and motor would turn. So, I figured that the valve in my helm was sticking.

After reading the post and seeing the pictures, I yanked the helm off the busted the bottom wide open. Sure enough the little valve was sticking. I cleaned up all parts with a rotary tool and brass wheel. Then stretched the spring and reassembled. Bleed the system and Wham-mo works perfect.
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    The problem; if I turned the steering wheel very slowly, especially if the air temperature was below 50 degrees, the wheel would turn but the motor would not. If I turned the steering wheel fast, then the steering would engage and motor would turn. So, I figured that the valve in my helm was sticking.

After reading the post and seeing the pictures, I yanked the helm off the busted the bottom wide open. Sure enough the little valve was sticking. I cleaned up all parts with a rotary tool and brass wheel. Then stretched the spring and reassembled. Bleed the system and Wham-mo works perfect.

I finally resolved it and did the same thing yesterday; only now I think I over-stretched the spring and it's making a buzzing sound as the wheel turns, sounds like the bearing is bouncing against the spring... I'll run it for a while and it will probably calm itself down over time. I can make minor adjustments now and the 'clicking / wheel jerking' is gone.

I used a wire brush to clean the valve.

... on second thought, I think I'll just rip it off again and compress the spring and see if I can get it right- I'd rather not find out that I didn't get the o-ring back in on-the-water.
    sigsmallx.jpg