How might I fix this? Bow Eye(pic included)

Nat1976Nat1976 Posts: 497 Officer
A picture is worth a thousand words, not this one. You cant really see but there is a bit of a cavity around the eyebolt, causing the bolt to turn in place and wobble a litle from side to side. Previous owners have tried to plug it up with some type of putty, I tried Marine Tex. I had great success with Marine Tex on other gouges underneath the boat, but as winched the boat back on to the trailer the Marine Tex around the eye bolt cracked. Is this why the last owner used putty? Because it's flexible? Once again I'm looking for an easy fix on this too. I dont want water to intrude thru cavity around the bolt but im not really concernd about how it looks. Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks...

Replies

• jj lynnjj lynn Posts: 632 Officer
    You need to have a better backing plate on the inside before you fix the fiberglass/Gelcoat on the outside.
    When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
    by letting the American Government
    take care of him;
    better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,643 Admiral
    Yea, that thing should not move or else it will do the same thing again. The backing plate and the material between the eye and the plate needs to be solid.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Nat1976Nat1976 Posts: 497 Officer
    Thanks for the reply!! Im sure thats why the Marine Tex broke off, too much play around the eye. Now I'm not sure that I have a traditional backing plate that you all might be thinking of. Maybe there is some plate backed up onto hidden wood inside the foam. The bow eye is this long eye bolt that goes all the way thru the front of bow to the inside, on top of the bow rise? On the other end there is another eye bolt, I tie the bow line and anchor line to it. That eye bolt does immediately back up to a washer, maybe I can do the same with the bow eye. Maybe I just need to really crank down on the eye bolts, tighten them. After a second look and feel, there is NO side to side play or wiggleing, the bow eye just rotates around
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,643 Admiral
    Just trying to pack putty or caulk around the eye will not do much, you need to remove it and reseat it and make sure there is plenty of backing to prevent it from moving. there is a lot of force applied to that thing when you are winching the boat up.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    If the "I" bolt is turning you don't have it tight enough. If you have run out of threads on the inside then you will need to put some sort of spacers (SS fender washers) on the shank and then tighten it down. Once you have the "I" bolt tight you can make your repairs and it should be fine.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
    Thanks for all your help, I think it got it fixed. It's a bit of a rig, super tighten down bolt and 5200, but it seems to work. I had a momentary lapse of reason, and now I got 3m5200 Fast Cure EVERYWHERE and used it to seal all screw holes in the deck laminate. 3M says you can sand it, but even after a couple days it's not looking very 'sandable'. Has anyone ever sanded 5200 with good results??
  • airheadairhead Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Can you get to the back of that eyebolt?

Undo the nut(s) and back it out. See if there is any rotten wood or core material around there. Repair as needed.

Lager backing plate, then a trim piece in the front:
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=37197&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50802&subdeptNum=50814&classNum=50816
  • airheadairhead Posts: 55 Deckhand
    double post
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,849 Captain
    Nat1976 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a rig, super tighten down bolt and 5200, but it seems to work.

Why do people even come and ask for professional adivse on a forum, when they already know they are going to "rig" it.
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    I would get in there with a small bit and grind out any of the damaged/rotted glass inside and outside. Mix up epoxy and some filler and patch it in the areas, after it dries you can shape/sand and drill it. Finish off with paint or gelcoat
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
    Sorry MACD, and anyone that might have found offence in me 'rigging' my boat, after asking for help. I didn't know that I would only be getting professional advise. I wanted ideas, but maybe in the end I was hoping someone would co-sign what I did. Dont worry I wont use the forum in such a sacrilegious manner anymore
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Ask any questions any time,that what the forum is for, some times it can be a rough on feelings.Treat it like water off a ducks back..they all mean well..
    larrywitt
    You're right and I'm sure they do mean well. Thanks Larrywitt, thanks all
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,849 Captain
    Nat1976 wrote: »
    Sorry MACD, and anyone that might have found offence in me 'rigging' my boat, after asking for help. I didn't know that I would only be getting professional advise. I wanted ideas, but maybe in the end I was hoping someone would co-sign what I did. Dont worry I wont use the forum in such a sacrilegious manner anymore

Listen, I understand our human nature is for quick,easy and cheap fixes......but that doesn't make it right.......

Sorry for my rudeness....... hewes18 provided some good information.
    No prob, sorry for my sarcasm, its was probably more rude
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    hewes18 wrote: »
    I would get in there with a small bit and grind out any of the damaged/rotted glass inside and outside. Mix up epoxy and some filler and patch it in the areas, after it dries you can shape/sand and drill it. Finish off with paint or gelcoat

Couldn't say it any better myself... Do it right or don't do it at all... It appears that you have a Boston Whaler and it would be worth a couple of hours of sweat equity to make it right... It looks like a steamy pile of black cow dung at the moment from repeated "quick fixes", but fiberglass is always repairable, even that mess!