Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gig boat alert

Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...

Replies

• MulletMullet Posts: 2,396 Moderator
    Won't get shallow enough. I know.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Mullet wrote: »
    I don't know about that particular model but my 88 Tracker TX17 would float in about 8 inches of water. We used to push it up into the cover on the shoreline while duck hunting in TX. I'd trim the motor out of the water and when it stopped moving I'd get out into water just over my ankles. That was with two men, a big lab, and about 5 or 6 dozen decoys.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Mullet wrote: »

Yeah that's definitely the boat you want your competition to be in.
    Rhettley wrote: »
    I don't know about that particular model but my 88 Tracker TX17 would float in about 8 inches of water. We used to push it up into the cover on the shoreline while duck hunting in TX. I'd trim the motor out of the water and when it stopped moving I'd get out into water just over my ankles. That was with two men, a big lab, and about 5 or 6 dozen decoys.

Sounds like I need to sell my boat and buy a '88 Tracker TX17. Did the ladies in the knitting club believe you too? ;)
    I'm not prone to exaggeration on here. I'll stick to my story.

Granted we were sitting in the middle of the boat. Katie the lab was probably hanging her toenails off the bow or stern but I doubt you could perch Billy and Brian up hanging over the bow and get it to float like that though...
    I'm not prone to exaggeration on here. I'll stick to my story.

Granted we were sitting in the middle of the boat. Katie the lab was probably hanging her toenails off the bow or stern but I doubt you could perch Billy and Brian up hanging over the bow and get it to float like that though...

I was just poking at ya. Big difference in a boats draft while duck hunting vs flounder gigging.

I'm always surprised when we hit bottom giggin, cause the water looks so deep.
  • KnuckleheadKnucklehead Posts: 1,418 Officer
    bbb wrote: »
    Yeah that's definitely the boat you want your competition to be in.

Sounds like I need to sell my boat and buy a '88 Tracker TX17. Did the ladies in the knitting club believe you too? ;)
    Dude, i cannot believe you'd slander Rhett so badly, it's the Garden Club!:mad
    Don-Knotts-don-knotts-22921303-197-200.jpg
  • grouper sandwichgrouper sandwich Posts: 532 Officer
    I'd have trouble staying in that one!:banghead
    corksling-2.jpg
    I'd have trouble staying in that one!:banghead

You have trouble staying in the ones with railings, Master Crabber.
    I don't know about that particular model but my 88 Tracker TX17 would float in about 8 inches of water.

Not with 2 men, railing, 1000 watts of lighting and a trolling motor on the from deck it don't.
    I believe I basically said that Billy. Never said anything about railing or 1000 watt lighting on my boat. I've floated in water shallower than the trolling motor blade would work in.

I was just pointing out these boats will float in a lot shallower water than most give them credit for. If you want a specialty gig boat, a wider hull would be definitely be preferable though. The boat in the original post would be a good lake, river, or flats all around fishing boat but I'd pass on it for one without all that home built railing.
    I believe I basically said that Billy. Never said anything about railing or 1000 watt lighting on my boat. I've floated in water shallower than the trolling motor blade would work in.

I was just pointing out these boats will float in a lot shallower water than most give them credit for. If you want a specialty gig boat, a wider hull would be definitely be preferable though. The boat in the original post would be a good lake, river, or flats all around fishing boat but I'd pass on it for one without all that home built railing.

Title was "GIG boat alert". Gig boats as a rule have railing and lighting. The boat in the link is not a very good hull for a gig boat.