Home General Paddle Craft

Rigging live bait for drifting????????

I met drichard1986 sunday afternoon at Dania peir (nice pro angler btw) and briefly talked about drift fishing with live bait. I usually go artificial, but now I'm planning on giving the livies a try...

How are you guys setting up your lines, hooks, and sinkers??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
- Helio Gracie

Links:
YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,209 Admiral
    What type of bait and what are you fishing for? Toothy critters in the mix?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    conchydong wrote: »
    What type of bait and what are you fishing for? Toothy critters in the mix?

Sorry, I guess that would help...

I'm talking about Pilchard or Goggle Eye. I would love some Kings, so definitely toothy critters in the mix. I would be fishing them in deep water so I am trying to figure out a good setup for drifting with depth.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    I'll start from the hook.... 4/0 circle hook tied to 10'-16' inch #5 wire tied to 40lb-50lb fluorocarbon leader tied to your main line which should be about 20lb-30lb test mono depending on the size of your reel. If your trying to traget dolphin or tuna the wire is not necessary but be prepared to get cut off every now and then by a king.
    I'll start from the hook.... 4/0 circle hook tied to 10'-16' inch #5 wire tied to 40lb-50lb fluorocarbon leader tied to your main line which should be about 20lb-30lb test mono depending on the size of your reel. If your trying to traget dolphin or tuna the wire is not necessary but be prepared to get cut off every now and then by a king.
    Thanks!! Are you free lining or using a weight to get it deeper. I think you might have a downrigger from something I read in the past. My concern is using a weight and getting the bait tangled around the line while drifting. I'm trying to find out a good way to set up my line so I can minimize problems.
    Also, do you ever use a stinger hook?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    I free line and use my downrigger to get the bait deep. But before I had a downrigger I would use a small weight no more the 3oz. You can use a trolling weight about 5-6ft away from the bait. The trolling weight has a swivel on each end of the weight to prevent tangles. Stinger rigs are great for targeting kings but I usally dont use them. I'm 50/50 about using it.
    Thanks fort the tips!! I think this will get me started.

I hit west marine and picked up a few of those exact sinkers. I'll probably try it all out this weekend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
  • EricD1980EricD1980 Posts: 181 Officer
    Lead is expensive but when i was younger we would tie on all the lead on our deep rigs with some thin copper rigging wire that way when the fish makes a big run the lead would just fall off. Was very useful on big lead while sword fishing. Anyhow i will still tie lead on this way often while trolling so that when i am fighting the fish the lead will fall off and i dont have the resistance of the lead up high on the line. Man i got to get out fishing soon, been to long.... between pulling my back late last month, the wedding coming up in 10 days, and joining the longfins and getting back into freedive hunting i havent been deep in a month in a half
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Hey man. Nice meeting you the other day. I agree with what everyone said. I would use a 1 oz weight to drift. You will get the depth u want. And the size of your hook should depend on the size of your bait. Average pilchard maybe 3/0 bigger gog probly 5/0. You don't want your hook to not let the bait swim freely
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
    Hey man. Nice meeting you the other day. I agree with what everyone said. I would use a 1 oz weight to drift. You will get the depth u want. And the size of your hook should depend on the size of your bait. Average pilchard maybe 3/0 bigger gog probly 5/0. You don't want your hook to not let the bait swim freely
    Appreciate all the advice. Hopefully I'll be putting it through the works this weekend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Helio Gracie

Links: