Shop flies - Swamp Rabbits

lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,101 Captain
Still working on tarpon flies for the shop, delivered these today. I wrote an article with a SBS for this series (I do them in three addtional colors, black/purple, fl. green/grizz, and grizzly brown). Here's the link to the article with pics on how to...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/fly-recipies/swamp-rabbit

This particular tarpon pattern is one of Umpqua Feather Merchants lineup so any shop can order them (and I get a tiny, tiny royalty).

[img][/img][img][/img]aee14bc7.jpg
[img][/img][img][/img]e0dc487a.jpg
[img][/img][img][/img]e572a606.jpg
[img][/img][img][/img]ae9b8da2.jpg

Only 20 more dozen to go....
Tight Lines
Bob LeMay
(954) 435-5666

Replies

• Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Really nice flies Lemay!:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Nice Flies, bad URL Bob
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,101 Captain
    Thanks for the heads up. Something about the program parameters on this site distorted what I initially posted up showing the actual address of that link. Think I have it fixed now...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Old ForumOld Forum Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Nice flies - wish they'd consolidate a few of these subforums.
    Lots of folks not very happy about that subject, me included. The bottom line for me is that the time I spend on this or any other site is limited... As a result there's whole areas I'm just not going to since this change. Wish things were different. The old system while far from perfect at least allowed you to skim each board quickly to see if there was something you needed to read....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Ditto that Bob.

I asked ODc about it too.

Pretty intro pages but a pain to navigate for newest info.

Oh and nice flies too. Thanks for sharing.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    My solution is to bookmark the sections in the forum I wish to read. I skip the magazine pages entirely when I am forum surfing. If I do chose to check the content and read an article I like it to be my choice.
    Bob, Under what conditions would you fish the Pink/tan?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Very nice flies Bob, as always. Any particular reason why you seem to prefer wire guards? Can't help but notice you use them quite a bit.

And they're still working on the forum, it should be easier to navigate once they finish.
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Great Flies, and like Michael, I am interested to see when you use the pink/tan too

I had a series of email exchanges with Blair expressing my displeasure with the new format
    Long ago (and not so far away) my early teaching on fly colors for tarpon came in two varieties. The first school of thought was that the color should correspond to the bottom where you were fishing... that meant light colored flies for sandy areas, dark colors... you get the idea. The second school of thought was that your flies should really contrast with the bottom (you guessed it, the opposite of the first school...). Now that I've confused the issue... tan colors represent shrimp but that's just a guess on my part. As always it's tough to decide whether it's the color that sells or the color that works... I do have one tournament winning guide that is pretty much color blind that I've been tying tarpon flies for over the years. He orders two colors from me and just calls them the light colored or the dark colored flies...

I've come to think that it's much more about the size of the fly, the presentation, and the timing...

For ODC, you're right I put wire weedguards on just about any fly that I can... When tying they're just one more component (although learning to finish the head on a fly with that sharp piece of wire sticking out will have you needing a bandaid or two...). I had some of my old mono weedguards (the loop kind) actually cost my fish so I was looking for something better when I figured out how to make a wire weedguard that works... and I've been using them ever since. Most of my fishing during the daytime is back inside the 'Glades where the slightest mis-cast has your hook in the bushes. With that wire weedguard you can slide it out and drop it exactly where it was needed. If only one cast in ten gets you snagged you'll gain 10% of actual fishing time once you go to good, effective weedguards - and the fish just don't notice them at all.... The wire is #5 coffee colored trolling wire (Malins), and #4 if the hooks are #2 or smaller. Here's a pic of them ready to tie in... that tiny bend is what's actually tied into position under the hook, right at the eye of the hook (tie everything except the last bit of the fly, add weedgurad, then finish any materials or head over the wire. The weedguard is bent down into position, trimmed then gets that final bend after all finishing is complete and dry...
    [img][/img][img][/img]e543bc46.jpg
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    I'd been meaning to ask about your wire guards for a while now. We have days where debris is an issue, and I'd always just gone with a bendback style because I've never been happy with the mono fork that seems to be the most popular among tyers. Yours has a cleaner look, and I would guess it's more durable too. Thanks for taking a minute to explain.