OT Direction

FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,713 Admin
As some of you, who are regular contributors here in OT know, we've been trying to figure out a way of making things a little more civil in OT. From the beginning the OT section was the most popular section of the Forum, still is. You can't fish and talk fish 24/7/365. I get that. Therefore we want a popular, active OT section for our members. But, what's happened over the years OT has taken on a vibe that's less than friendly or inviting to the outsider. My intention isn't to preach or threaten, just to give you my perspective on the direction we hope to see in OT.

We want an OT section where the Sportsman community can go to talk about whatever they want, if you can see or hear it on late night broadcast television you should be able to see it our hear it talked about in OT. We want our Sportsman community to be able to feel comfortable posting a question or statement, no matter what it is, if it could be asked or stated on late night broadcast television, and not fear retribution from others. We're a community that should be looking out for each other, not looking for the next chance to jump on someone....looking to try and belittle someone or make some feel stupid for asking a question.

There's no reason to think FS is trying to close down the fun in OT, just the Fun that comes at the expense of other members...whether they deserve it or not.

The derailing of threads, when you have legit questions asked, won't be tolerated, especially when the derailer has a history of it.

I've asked several mods, current and past, what ideas they had to help bring more civility to OT. We didn't get too far. Currently DEEP seems to understand exactly what we want and I believe he can evenly moderate the section so everyone will be treated equally, and in the end happy. No favorites, no agendas, no loyalties.

Again, I'm not trying to talk down, preach or make some kind of bold big-stick statement. I just wanted to give you my perspective on the direction of OT.

Thanks for being part of the Sportsman Community.

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    Thanks for letting us know something.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• CoxsterCoxster Posts: 3,086 Captain
    Much of what you are trying to stifle is what made, makes, and will continue to make OT what it is.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I have noticed even a small funny will not fly anymore..No one should have an opinion in OT or any other section. I have had more posts and threads deleted than any other time. I understand now we should not joke around. I will say most of my posts have humor in them in SE section and OT. If i'm gonna get zapped why post? I won't post any fishing reports with any humor or joke around. This is serious business and some grown man could get his feelings hurt. Pfft...
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    I think that's the Point coxster. It has gotten stagnant in that its the same people doing the same stuff, responding the same way day in day out and making newcomers feel unwelcome.
    Slapstick sitcom type comedy only goes so far before it becomes boring and juvenile. That's my take on it.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • LitiGATORLitiGATOR Posts: 819 Officer
    Coxster wrote: »
    Much of what you are trying to stifle is what made, makes, and will continue to make OT what it is.

This. Blair, with all due respect, I really don't think you and/or the Mods/Admin understand what the problem is. FS keeps trying to censor threads; that's a huge part of the issue. When people go fishing, hunting, hang out, etc., and engage in conversation, those conversations can lead anywhere. By actually cinching-down and trying to curtail the "derailment," you're doing the exact opposite of what should be done to fix OT. The hard-nose approach has been tried countless times in the last couple years and it does nothing but make things worse.

My opinion is keep OT very simple and LIMIT the moderation, not increase it. No cursing, and nudity. Anything else should be fair game. Keep the conversation open; stop trying to decide what topics are okay for Off Topic. If someone wants to talk about catnip, cheerios, potatoes, or light bulbs, who cares? If you really think the problem is that threads are being derailed, then I really don't know what to tell you.

To see why OT is failing, all you have to do is go back to when it was thriving. There was very minimal moderation back in the day and it worked. Do you know how many absolutely benign threads have been deleted the last couple nights? If anyone has critique of FS/OT, the thread is promptly deleted. It's like communism in here right now.

Your approach will not work, and it hasn't been working. Your proposed change will only make things worse.
    Well said Liti..
    mousey.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    I agree with most of what you posted, FSB. I don't have specifics, or know the personalities, but I've wondered recently if the blanket amnesty granted after one or two "improvements" ago might have backfired. Don't know.

But this is troublesome:
    FS Blair wrote: »
    Currently DEEP seems to understand exactly what we want and I believe he can evenly moderate the section so everyone will be treated equally, and in the end happy. No favorites, no agendas, no loyalties.
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    LitiGATOR wrote: »
    This.

If anyone has critique of FS/OT, the thread is promptly deleted. It's like communism in here right now.

Your approach will not work, and it hasn't been working. Your proposed change will only make things worse.

If I was a business owner and I had a public forum I would toss everyone out that complained in Public. IF someone wants to complain their are other avenues for them to take and let their voices be heard.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,062 Captain
    OT isn't entertaining or funny for a long time. Moderators aren't killing it, it's just getting boring. Now it's just post after post of random dumb stuff . Maybe open the doors and let anything go. It can't hurt
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    I disagree. I've been in this board for years and years. I quit posting as much for one reason only. It was boring to read the same **** from the same people everyday.trad, ha is ****, spin is big, tater knows all. Etc wtc etc.
    How many days and how many time do you think anyone wants to read that same junk day in day out. Seriously. It's BORING! It's not funny. It's not cute. It's boring. That's wh I don't post much anymore.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Blair can you have a sub section of OT? In that section you can label it with a warning. "enter at your own risk" No nudity, cursing, or threatening behavior, but anything else is fair game.
  • LitiGATORLitiGATOR Posts: 819 Officer
    Maybe open the doors and let anything go. It can't hurt

Yup. No cursing, no nudity. Anything else is fair game.
  • forfinsforfins Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    This. Blair, with all due respect, I really don't think you and/or the Mods/Admin understand what the problem is. FS keeps trying to censor threads; that's a huge part of the issue. When people go fishing, hunting, hang out, etc., and engage in conversation, those conversations can lead anywhere. By actually cinching-down and trying to curtail the "derailment," you're doing the exact opposite of what should be done to fix OT. The hard-nose approach has been tried countless times in the last couple years and it does nothing but make things worse.

My opinion is keep OT very simple and LIMIT the moderation, not increase it. No cursing, and nudity. Anything else should be fair game. Keep the conversation open; stop trying to decide what topics are okay for Off Topic. If someone wants to talk about catnip, cheerios, potatoes, or light bulbs, who cares? If you really think the problem is that threads are being derailed, then I really don't know what to tell you.

To see why OT is failing, all you have to do is go back to when it was thriving. There was very minimal moderation back in the day and it worked. Do you know how many absolutely benign threads have been deleted the last couple nights? If anyone has critique of FS/OT, the thread is promptly deleted. It's like communism in here right now.

Nailed it.
  • knotty boysknotty boys Posts: 1,898 Captain
    I used to love the threads that started out as one thing, and after ten pages it went through 30-40 different topics. Who cares if it stays on topic...conversations with friends never stay on topic, it goes from one thing to another.

Giving D E E P rule of OT is like giving your brother reigns to this place again....neither have a friggin clue what makes this place tick. If anyone had the right idea how to properly moderate this place, it was Rich. People know he is fair in how he deals with people, he doesnt play favorites, and will let you know you are pushing the limits and pull you back in line. He does it in a way that people like..and if you explain why you are heading down a certain direction, he steps back and tries to see it from your point of view. These one sided mods that used to be picked on in high school, now to flex their powers every chance they get, should not be in charge of your biggest asset.
    Some people are like a slinky, not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    This is NOT directed at you hookline, I am only responding to the words that you typed!!!!

hooknline wrote: »
    I think that's the Point coxster. It has gotten stagnant in that its the same people doing the same stuff, responding the same way day in day out and making newcomers feel unwelcome.
    Slapstick sitcom type comedy only goes so far before it becomes boring and juvenile. That's my take on it.

The "(see air quotes) minless drivel, cutting up, ragging in each other, simple humor, and real questions and answers" was exactly what drew me to this forum. I was never a member here until june/july of last year and I feel that I was "included " from the very first time that I jumped into the fray. Sure there are some hurt feelings/personal things on here from time to time but whenever you get this many people together in one place some are not going to like some others but it will settle out.

I don't get to fish/hunt as much as I used to, I am in the middle of LIFE happening, but I still like to converse and/or interat with people that generally share the same loves and hobbies that I do. No there is not alot of fishing or Hunting discussed in Off Topic but is that not what it is here for?

We are Doctors, Lawyers,IT guys, Cops, CONSTRUCTION WORKERS, retired, unemployed, students, etc that come to ONE place and shoot the ****. This is a great place to kill a couple/few hours of great entertainment.

Why does it all have to be so serious?
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    I used to love the threads that started out as one thing, and after ten pages it went through 30-40 different topics. Who cares if it stays on topic...conversations with friends never stay on topic, it goes from one thing to another.

Giving D E E P rule of OT is like giving your brother reigns to this place again....neither have a friggin clue what makes this place tick. If anyone had the right idea how to properly moderate this place, it was Rich. People know he is fair in how he deals with people, he doesnt play favorites, and will let you know you are pushing the limits and pull you back in line. He does it in a way that people like..and if you explain why you are heading down a certain direction, he steps back and tries to see it from your point of view. These one sided mods that used to be picked on in high school, now to flex their powers every chance they get, should not be in charge of your biggest asset.
    I liked the good times.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• PhescadorPhescador Posts: 3,816 Officer
    This post was by FS Staff for reasons yet unknown.
    Ewe Inn Joy Mice Elf.
    TTop, I never said there was a problem with the fun. The way I see it, the same people post the same stupid ****. We all know who they are. That's the boring part
    Now add in over moderation, killing the funny, and the fact that times are tuff and people are stressed, well it all equals what we have here.
    The fix as I see it, bring back an equal minded mod( we know who), some members( we know who) quit posting the same stupid **** day in day out, and I think we'll be on the right track.
    But the way this is headed and has been headed for the last year at least is obviously not working.

Henson I was member 1600 something on the original original board. I just quit posting

Yeah no one should ever photoshop me for a laugh..That or make silly emoticons that make fun of me..--->:drink

Aww my poor thin skin will get hurt. GMAFB!

If i didn't take it as much as i dish it those threads would not have played out.. People in general are to sensitive these days..

As long as you are not messing with family ..Game on!
    mousey.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    This reminds me a lot of a certain RV related forum and the equivalent off topic area, it grew and grew in popularity over a short period of time and then heavy handed moderation began and over the course of a few weeks all of the posting stopped along with the associated traffic. The users of the board were all very respectful to each other and nothing even approaching PG-13 was ever posted but there was an agenda at play in the moderation efforts and a lack of explanation of why actions were taken. When I stopped by to see if anything had improved I saw that the active thread reminds one of a ghost town. Users even went out of their way to make their own posts disappear. That spells lost revenue and for no good reason at all.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Yar!!
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,062 Captain
    No cursing
    **** that! It's a simple fix. Banned members instantly come back, so why even bother????? It's just dumb science. I don't think I've ever been warned about anything. Maybe Gary did but he's just old and nuts. Deep has always been straight laced and it's not going to change. Mixing Jesus and chatroom moderation will never work. Get a moderator with thick skin, eliminate MAJOR problems, and be done with it. Why anyone would want to be a moderator is beyond me
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    Nope. I'm just offering my viewpoint. I promise you I'm not the only one tired of the same repetative retort of some of this elite group. What are you a trad? Get it? Kinda lame seeing that all the time isn't it? Toogle it whil spin eats a whole cow and mitch argues with pup. Get it yet? Same story different day.

• TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,819 Captain
    Bravo! Bravo!

Blair, I wholeheartedly applaud you in your bid to drive the final nail into the coffin of the Off Topic board and get Florida Sportsman back to a fishing-only board! It's about time you killed OT, it's been on life support for years now.

Oh wait, that's not what you want to do?

Then how about listening to what people want? You aren't on the entire forum, much less Off Topic, often enough to know what your own readership wants without asking them or listening to them. You aren't in tune with what they are asking for. If you want to drive more people away, then continue to push directives down from the top with absolutely no deference to what your own readership is asking for.

If you want it to thrive and largely police itself, then get DEEP out of here and put Rich in charge of Off Topic.

I've made countless friends on this forum, and not just folks I talk to online---but people I actually fish and hunt with. Many of those friends were made via Off Topic when we realize that, if we can carry on in a duck blind or on the flats the same way we do in OT, then it doesn't really matter if the ducks fly or the snook bite because we'll be laughing all morning anyways. If I hadn't made so many good friends on here then I wouldn't feel like it was worth sticking around to be a thorn in the side of the people who are strangling it.

You, Ken, whoever, has been strangling this place for years and it's sad to see it happen. Most of us have gone to spin-off forums to enjoy banter that won't last 5 minutes here, most of which is PG-13. News Flash----those clicks and page views on the other forum are in the neighborhood of 200,000 page views a month and as many as 20,000 posts per month, and that's just on ONE other forum. Those could [/U]be here instead.

You'll have no excuse if you ignore your readers this time. You're firmly set foot into Off Topic and stated your goals; most of the members----even the ones who agree with you regarding what OT should be---don't believe DEEP is going to help at all. Ken won't be on the hook for making an informed yet still-terrible decision this time.

Off Topic is by far the most perused and popular Forum on here. Drive more people away from it and I'm going to start believing that the thinning magazine isn't just a function of the economy.
    Do the new moderators get paid? You couldn't pay me to be an ace hole ..Well more of one..
    mousey.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,819 Captain
    Almost forgot:

tumblr_lw3xe9waz21qzrlhgo1_250.gif

Hi Blair!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,723 Captain
    FS Blair wrote: »
    I've asked several mods, current and past, what ideas they had to help bring more civility to OT. We didn't get too far. Currently DEEP seems to understand exactly what we want and I believe he can evenly moderate the section so everyone will be treated equally, and in the end happy. No favorites, no agendas, no loyalties.

Blair, I'm certain you have better things to do than monitor off-topic which is why I'm certain you don't have a clue what's going on here. Somebody is leading you astray for reasons I don't understand. D E E P has more "favorites", "agendas" and "loyalties" than you can count. If someone doesn't agree with his faith, they're censored. If he doesn't agree with their sense of humor, they're censored. If he just doesn't like you, you're censored.

Need an example. Go look at the thread where he called me out in the thread title (a "rule" that others have been censured for).
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?37989-In-reply-to-intrepid377
    He and Griz gutted it of all the humorous gifs, refused to answer simple questions, and then locked the thread after redirecting me to another locked thread that also doesn't answer my question. Heck a guy got a "lifetime" ban for posting gifs largely because your buddies here just don't like him. Can you explain or justify that?

Stop listening to the 10 people that share your opinion and tell you what you want to hear and start listening to the 100 people that don't kiss your butt.

NOTE: Anyone want to bet that the paragon of equal moderation deletes this thread before Blair sees it?
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    My .02;
    do away with post counts, or at least member status. I believe it only promotes worthless posts to gain a certain level or status.
    encourage the ignore option. It doesnt really bother me when someone post a worthless reply, and yes Im guilty of it. If a member is effecting someone else so much that they feel like something needs to be done, this is a good option, even when said member is posting within the rules. I see plenty of members replying to a thread as a derail attempt or just to see themselves type. If it bothered me that much (which it doesnt) I would have no remorse or thought about putting them on my ignore list.
    Another option would be to have some silly disclaimer before entering OT that say something about the views and opinions here do not reflect FS yadayada.
    As many have said here, I think it will be the members that depict which way OT will turn out, not the mods.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    go back in the archives to what brought me here and it was the topic show yourself. it was funny, a little riskie (sp), it went sideways but it was fun. we had mine and others hypothetical questions which were whacky but funny. then heavy moderation came in and it got harder and harder to make funny threads. I made a lot of friends here and had a great times here, but sadly it seems to be dying.
    169304.GIF