Gags in Tampa Bay

So I'm no expert but I thought that gags were not really biting in the bay this time of year. In the past several years gag just didn't bite in this kind of summer weather. Yet yesterday I was out fishing at the Bahia Beach reef and at about 7am we started catching gags (not keepers) on frozen greenbacks.

Anyone else catching gags in the bay?

Carlos

Replies

• CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    You can catch (mostly) undersized Grouper in the shipping cuts and around Skyway year round. Keepers come in good in cold weather months.
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • slingnbaitslingnbait Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Yes you can catch them year round and no the keepers are always there. Just more sluggish this time of year. The keepers are in the bay year round also. Just have to know how to fish for them.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,972 Captain
    I have caught keepers year round trolling buck tail jigs. They are there. Too bad the state closed them now too.....ehhh...rat bastas....
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Reel IrieReel Irie Posts: 81 Deckhand
    there are plenty offshore also 40-70ft

I never caught them like I have this year so shallow
    cape-horn-boats-L20889.gif
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,981 Moderator
    I've caught keeper gags 27-35" year around on rock piles in the 35-40' range offshore.
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Officer
    there are no grouper in the bay. please go offshore.

k

ty
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    I have always considered "shallow" to be 8-12' when considering "shallow water Grouper fishing" like the days when I routinely fished off Bayport and Hernando Beach while living in Spring Hill. Now that's shallow, though to the North near Homosassa there are springs and deep holes in the 2-5' range, but to me, like an "urban legend" though Glen Pla did a show years ago fishing for big Gags in these "cracks". Deep water to me was always 30-40', and for years never ventured beyond that 40' mark.
    There's small grouper everywhere on the rock piles in the bay, but key word being small. Great for the kids when the bite slows.
  • CaptTommyZCaptTommyZ Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    slingnbait wrote: »
    Yes you can catch them year round and no the keepers are always there. Just more sluggish this time of year. The keepers are in the bay year round also. Just have to know how to fish for them.

This.
    Capt. Tommy Z.
    http://www.dreamcatchercharters.com/
    Key West, FL
  • bearohsbearohs Posts: 166 Officer
    or you can do what i did and hire one of the pros in this category. I personally will say that was probably the best money spent. Learning how to fish inshore for gags is way different for me. I grew up diggin on the bottom with lead.