Catching baits on a castnet - Key Largo area

Greatings folks!

Well, I really need some advise on catching baits with a castnet in Key Largo are (including pilchards, ballyhoos, etc).

I have two small castnets (5 feet long) with two different mesh sizes, but I would like to buy a bigger one (8 to 10 feet).

My questions are:

1) What would be the best castnets to buy for most of the baits? (mesh, size, brand).

2) Where are the best spots and methods (depite of ballyhoos, of course) to catch baits in Key Largo area using a castnet?

Any advise is appreciated!

Cheers,

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,554 Moderator
    IMHO, best size would be a 8 to 10' - 3/8" mesh (Square measure) with 1.5 pounds of weight per foot of net. A Bait Buster, Cracker, or Betts make decent nets. Black Pearl, Calusa and Tim Wade make better but more expensive nets.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    in largo sound: go thru the adams cut waterway,either head right to the mooring buoys at the south end, or head to the northwest corner where a small creek begins. both spots are pre-daylight,once the sun's up it's over for pilchards. chum lightly, plenty of daylight pinfish at the mooring buoys. good luck
  • Mig888Mig888 Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    IMHO, best size would be a 8 to 10' - 3/8" mesh (Square measure) with 1.5 pounds of weight per foot of net. A Bait Buster, Cracker, or Betts make decent nets. Black Pearl, Calusa and Tim Wade make better but more expensive nets.

I have a 10', 3/8" made by Wade and a 10", 1/2 inch made by Wade. Both are great, but I prefer the 3/8th
  • maironbrmaironbr Posts: 75 Deckhand
    kbkeys wrote: »
    in largo sound: go thru the adams cut waterway,either head right to the mooring buoys at the south end, or head to the northwest corner where a small creek begins. both spots are pre-daylight,once the sun's up it's over for pilchards. chum lightly, plenty of daylight pinfish at the mooring buoys. good luck

Ok. I will be located on the Atlantic side, heading the ocean. Do you think I have changes catching pilchards on next to the house canal, or I will really have to go all the way to largo sound to catch baits and come back?

Thank you!!
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    kbkeys wrote: »

KBKEYS,,,
    I'm new to Crosskeys Waterways so I'll be trying these out real soon. THANKS!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]