Boynton Boys Report 1/28/12

CamDawgCamDawg Posts: 14 Greenhorn
On Saturday, Hooked and I ventured out for our weekly excursion out of south Delray. The seas were calm and the wind was negligible. It was a slow process getting ready for myself because I’m still getting used to the NEW KAYAK I GOT! It’s an older (double hatch) wilderness systems tarpon, 16ft. blue. It is practically brand spankin’ new!!! All seals good, no sun damage, and the bottom was as smooth as a baby’s hind-quarters, caution sticker still stuck on it!! What a crazy deal!!! So I tried it last week for the first time and I expected something tragic to happen but when I got back to shore and looked in the hatch…not A drop!!! Flawless!!!
I started doing the offshore thing for the first time in late July of 11’, in that 11.5ft yellow banana RTM Tango that you all saw in the posts with our fish. In my opinion, it barely cut it, not an offshore yak at all, it was more of a lake/river yak but I caught fish none-the-less. But man, that thing was slow slow slow and was all over the place with every paddle stroke, and if it was at all windy, my RTM Tango doubled as a sail. It was ill-suited for the purpose but I managed and made it work for me and remember, that little boat is what I caught that 220+ pound ocean sunfish on vertical jig in 300ft of water that towed me from Delray to Boca!!! Don’t believe me? Check the video on youtube.. type in rcsnow123 you’ll find it and you will see me and that little yellow rtm like old man and the sea. Lol! But my new Tarpon, it is so fast!!!! Love the boat so far, and am look very much forward to tricking it out with add-ons. Sweet.
So I recently purchased the Okuma Cedros 65 and the Garmin Echo 100, I installed the fishfinder externally late the night before, basically with a hinge on the back of the boat so the transducer just skims in my draft. And if I run into trouble or am landing, I installed a series of rings and 2 clip positions with a line through them. I just pull the cord and the transducer flips up and onto the back of the boat out of harms way. Now that I know this will work. I’ll just reinstall it and fabricate the brackets, and positioning rod out of aluminum and use a stainless hinge and install 2 magnets, one on the boat and one on the hinge to keep the mount from moving around when traveling at speed. The transducer cable will several inches from the magnet and the transducer is almost a foot away, I don’t think the magnetism will affect the signal performance at that distance. What do you all think? Other than it moving slightly when traveling fast, I was very pleased, I have owned and operated several garmin gps’s in the past and I found the interfaces and menus very easy to set and modify on the fly. I was able to mark in 350ft of water and for an $80 unit it did the trick and then some! The Cedros was very nice, and smooth, great drag. However, I found there to be quite a bit of resistance speed cranking using the new powerpro slick 8 I put on it. Something about that stuff when it’s new is it has this gel/wax coating on it, that is very obvious to the touch and I don’t think my guides liked it very much. Anyone else feel like the slick8 line was sticky/tacky when you tried the line for the first time new? Other than that, I like how quiet the line is, it’s nice when it doesn’t sound like you are cutting down a tree when you retrieve the line, but hell if this waxy coating is still causing a problem in a couple weeks, back to old powerpro I go!.
Ok, enough, back to the report, the water was calm, the wind was calm and at our backs slightly as we made our way to deep water. Marked fish in about 80ft and dropped our jigs, “Hooked” (not be tangiential but “Hooked”? Really? You’re my boy, blue but it sure is hard coming up with alternatives to that word!!! Just saying, good name, but sounds **** when I write “hooked hooked into a nice fish”) ..and I digress, both me and hooked LATCHED onto fish, (see what I mean!?) our excitement dwindled as we drug up a big sea robin and a huge inshore lizard fish. Nasty fish but cool to observe.
As we approached the ledge I wasn’t marking any fish. Hooked caught a small bonito and I caught a big blue runner. As I made my next drop in about 240ft nailed me about 50ft off the bottom. It hit the tormentor chubby mini in green mack. color. I pulled up a real nice almaco jack, not bad for a donkey. We then drifted to 320ft hoping for a better bite, nothing. We traveled back south and west to hit the area of the ledge we caught the jack on. Fish on! Hooked caught a wee-baby tuna. It gave me hope for the day. He caught it **** near on the surface too! For about the next 2 hours we tried here, tried there, nothing, then back at the ledge in 250 hooked caught a real nice rainbow runner (I think, I’m biologist but I did very little work with saltwater fish) but that’s my best guess. Blue back, yellow lateral stripe, looked like Carangid morphologically but never encountered one, this was a first. Nice fish though!!! We literally stayed on the water all day in hopes of something decent, but nothing to really speak of. We went in to about 50-80ft. hitting the patch reef we could find and murdered every jack known to man!!! But all under 10lbs, still fun though. I could look down and watch them attack it, so cool.
All in all a pretty awful day of fishing but I guess it beats work right!? I guess, figuratively speaking, you could say we didn’t catch jack, but in reality we caught plenty of them!!! Better luck next time….

Tight Lines!,
CamDawg

Replies

• SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Way to go fellas. Those yellow jacks are delicious! So that cedros was nice huh? I've been debating buying one of those for the last week, thinking of pulling the trigger this week sometime. They have some sick drag ratings! Good job again.
    Wow, just read your post, replied on the pics. Yep, that's a yellow jack, delicious white fluffy meat. Very seldom to catch on hook and line for some reason. I found a wreck in pompano that I pulled up 5 of in one day...was unbelievable. Congrats one the new yak and reel. As for line I prefer stren sonic braid...stuff is awesome, knots are solid...no waxy residue.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice day on the ledge.:thumbsup
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    Nice report!! Nice to see hooked hooked up with a nice one...Nice AJ for you as well. Tight lines fellas
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    That report was all jacked up! ... ha ha ... Just wantet to ask are you gonna break the next report down by chapters? I mean holy moly son that was like reading a novel! I guess what you lack in fish you make up for by being verbose! naw... I'm just teasing. All we caught off the inlet was jacks too.

salty- I've been using a credos for about 6 months now. great reel, no problems, cheap, silky smooth drag. It puts the hurt on anything that tries to run.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    nice work fellas......
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • CamDawgCamDawg Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks! Yeah, with a second look it definitely looks like a yellow, the large jacks with the amberjack body form are hard to tell apart sometimes. So far so good with the Cedros, affordable, light, strong, I say fire away man. oh and major congrats on the sail!! Awesome fish!!
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Nice fish boys....Drove me nuts with all this reading though :willynilly
    oarknot wrote: »
    That report was all jacked up! ... ha ha ... Just wantet to ask are you gonna break the next report down by chapters? I mean holy moly son that was like reading a novel! I guess what you lack in fish you make up for by being verbose! naw... I'm just teasing. All we caught off the inlet was jacks too.

salty- I've been using a credos for about 6 months now. great reel, no problems, cheap, silky smooth drag. It puts the hurt on anything that tries to run.

Awww...Your wittiness is so cute, but that's what makes you cool..Oar, Knot!!!! haha just kidding bro...Maybe one of these days we can actually go fishing together, miss ya being out there man!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    lol ^^^ thats good ****
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 138 Deckhand
    I ran into you guys out on the reef and then again as we beached. I was the guy in the orange OK. Thanks for patiently answering my newbie offshore questions. Great report and hope to see you out there again soon.
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    yakhunter wrote: »
    I ran into you guys out on the reef and then again as we beached. I was the guy in the orange OK. Thanks for patiently answering my newbie offshore questions. Great report and hope to see you out there again soon.

Always willing to help out another yaker, we were a little soar that day. Your welcome to join us anytime if you want to venture out a little deeper. Ounce again sorry to hear about your last kayak.
  • mangohunter11mangohunter11 Posts: 442 Officer
    I've been looking at the cedros for some time. Don't get off shore much so I've been holding back. The reel looks complete Joel he drag system is inpressive. But make sure you clean it and keep up with it. I have heard a 50 to 50 ration of good and bad. To me me the reel looks soild wish I could open it up and take a gander at the gears... Speed jigg does a number on reels... Give us a follow up I intrested in seeing how it does after its been beat up some more.
    Yeah, Alex...I pulled the trigger on that setup yesterday! After all Camdawg gave me orders to "Fire"... :-)
    Saltysack wrote: »
    Yeah, Alex...I pulled the trigger on that setup yesterday! After all Camdawg gave me orders to "Fire"... :-)
    Congrats man!! Don't know what type of reel you were fishing before but I was fishing a less than desirable penn fierce.. more like Penn Wet Blanket! I can think of numerous occasions palming the spool!!! No drag control it was all or nothing and they were both neighbors. On that descent jack I thought I loosened the drag, bout' ended up in the water!! The handle is a bit strange, it completely changes the way I retrieve, not sure if thats good or bad but I tell the muscles are not used to it yet, the cedros is more like "window cleaning" and the fierce was more like "arsenio hall". For what I spent I'm happy. Let's reevaluate this in 6 months tho.