Sailfish "El Numero Quattro" (#4)

Well, where do I begin. How about, no one was up for Pompano and the second I walked out the door I saw lightning...solo trip and lightning. Well a few months ago I had a BAD run-in with a hammerhead and will only go solo on nice days when there are fellow boaters in the sea. Today was not that day. I saw the storm was pushing east and wouldn't be a problem. But, I knew Rob was heading out of Dania. But, no bait in Dania.

Ran to the bait shop here in Pompano, picked up some live bait and hauled **** to Dania. Didn't get there till around 640 launched round 7...way late launch. After some work finally met up with Rob and Chad round 300' of water. They had a spanish and a bonnie by then. Third drop down, hook up with a nice 12# Almaco that said a big FU to me as I reached for him and went down yonder.

We moved north in a hurry was past the inlet in no time and decided to head in some to shoot south. Made it to 150' round the marker bouy and tossed in a livie to troll back. Rob saw some slashing, I opened the bail and let some line out. (BTW 50#Flouro, 4/0 hook) Got a tug, felt like a stinkin remora, tug, hook set, and JUMP!!! I don't care if I catch 100 more of these creatures...It's still awesome.

Was nice to meet ya Chad and great to fish with ya again Rob, thanks for the shots and video brother! As for Craig...I HATE YOU!!! (Not really) But, if it weren't for you this fish would be on the grill! You don't need a HMS Permit to bring a sail back to land, as long as you're in FL water and it's of size. Unfortunately for me, I found out when I got home, But, I'm sure the fish is happy...till next time! Here's a few shots, felt good to finally get out again...:fishing

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Congrats.. but I must say this.

If that was you out there today, Sunday, I was headed out as a boater this morning .. and there was an orange kayak, padling N.. in around 150-200' between the dania pier and the inlet, the seas were not nice today, and not a lot of light from the horizon as the storm line was blocking.
    This kayak was barely visible in the slop and rollers, we basically picked up on the paddle blades and we are always searching the horizon for any activity in the water or sky.. some-one perhaps not fishing, could easily overlook that kayak not paying attention.

Be safe out there and if I was paddling, fishing from kayak, I'd fly a flag of some sort. Sure its not required, but caution is better than an accident statistic.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    If you can't see a fat dude in blaze orange, in an orange kayak, get off the Fn ocean is my .02 to you sir.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    :grin... Awesome job that is one BIG sail bro congrats....
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Very nice! thats a massive fish; 7ft?
  • paddlepaddle Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Very cool. Nice to see someone had a good day. I fought north winds all morning and went home around 1.
  • Dj Dan DecibelDj Dan Decibel Posts: 142 Officer
    awesome man!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    one hell of a fish Joel, congrats.. I would have loved to join you at pompano today, but of course they had to call me off of work at 10 in the morning, not last night :banghead.. but life goes on, once again great fish!
    1970 23 Seabird
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Nice sail- I'm sure he's happy you didn't learn the regulations til later. Don't begrudge Krash, he's one of us paddlers who happens to have a motorboat too. I also agree that once the swells are 4 feet and up you can't see a kayak until you are almost on top of it. Weight does not influence visibility, height does.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    I disagree a pumpkin sitting on a orange banana is more visible than a kayaker with a flag... My 2 cents...:dance...
    ....Thanks Pumpkin...Well I've heard from plenty of "Captains" not boaters, that it's soley the Capt's responsibility to pay attention to whats in front of him. A radar will pick up a kayak and let them know it's there. If they don't have one...their problem. This thread isn't about visibility anyhow, it's about a nice sail on a shi++y day. And all those guys with flags, it's less than a square foot and barely above their heads...if you cant see a 14' bright **** kayak and a big dude in blaze orange once again...keep your boat at the dock, if you hit a kayak...it's your own negligence that's responsible.
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Nicely done! Thats a really good sized fish!
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Guy's, I been on the ocean for probably more year's than most of you guys are old, not trying to start any crap just stating facts. You, or who-ever it was, were not easy to spot and we are not the type that just sets sail on a path, we are always paying close attention to the surroundings and searching the surface, sky, and horizon and it took several seconds, and 3 sets of eyes, to realize that was a kayak in the swells bobbing up and down.

As most know I am a kayaker, as well as boater and diver, so safety is always a thought. I have been nearly run down more than once in a white 22' Open fisherman with a giant T-top flying a 24" Dive flay on a 10' pole above the T-top and bright yellow & red brownies dive pump floating 50' away with another 24" dive flag attached. Right is right, and yes a captain is responsible for his/her actions, but injured and/or dead are another story.

I do agree also that is a nice sail and open my original post with Congrats, all we could muster up yesterday was Bonita's.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Great Sail !
  • stflastfla Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Hey Salty, big Congrats on that sail too! I'm new to this game & can't wait to catch something bigger than 5lbs! If you don't mind repeating it, what was your run in with the hammerhead? Thanks & congrats again!

-Steve
  • kreidelkreidel Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Saltysack wrote: »
    if you hit a kayak...it's your own negligence that's responsible.

That's fine I have insurance.

Nice Sailfish BTW.
  • Mad YakerMad Yaker Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Congrats Salty! Nice fish and pics!:fishing
    kreidel wrote: »
    That's fine I have insurance.

Nice Sailfish BTW.

Very nice, My wife and kids will appreciate that. As for the Hammerhead run-in, long story short. Nobody showed up for the trip. I went outta boca inlet solo, paddling out in 70' with no lines in the water. When a 10' HH came and did 2 vicious circles (I'm used to them circling but this was diffent) and went down. Next thing I'm being lifted into the air, roughly 1.5' outta my seat and thankfully was able to land on my kayak when I came down. After my heart finally calmed down I continued on, but, nearly sold my shi+ after that trip. Took me a while to get back out on a solo trip.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Awesome catch bro.
    Do you have a heavier rod/reel setup for this kinda stuff? i see you said 40# mono?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • stflastfla Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I think I woulda needed new shorts after that! Not meaning to hijack your thread, but how often do you see sharks out there?

-Steve
    Jcan- Penn 850ssm, 7' slammer rod, 50# braid and flouro, 4/0 hook. That's my same rod/reel for jiggin...for now

Stfl- its like Bloody Mary, you talk about the taxman- you see the taxman.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    NICE fish Joel! That's a beast!!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    Yeah wtg Joel. Seeing that fish jumpin was a sight to see. Even tho there was not much biting I was glad to have that experience of even seeing a sailfish in person. That thing was huge. Will have to get you to come up north with rob one day so we can run the ledge. Was nice meeting you as well Joel!! Tight lines my friend!!
    well everytime "Joel" talks about the tax man..... poof there it is...... never fails.....
    everytime he mentions it on the water I wanna throw a fish at him.... the thing is they are not little, there not passive species he likes to summon tigers, and hammerheads the size of his kayak...
    You know how I roll brother...12' hammerhead, 14' tiger, 10' hammerhead all just by bringing it up lol...
  • LokiLoki Posts: 141 Officer
    Awesome sail buddy. BTW, stay out of Bear Cut and the finger channels --Taxman convention going on right now.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Loki wrote: »
    Awesome sail buddy. BTW, stay out of Bear Cut and the finger channels --Taxman convention going on right now.

I know where im going fishing tommorrow... Thanks!
  • mangohunter11mangohunter11 Posts: 442 Officer
    Nice sail bud!

@ loki lets not talk about those blasted fish! I hate them! I got sharked 5 freaking times this year! twice in one day! Watching a 300 plus pound bullshark coming at you full tilt with no regards and your dead sticking in the water with a big fish at the end of your line looking for cover under you yak! Not my idea of fun! OOh btw bullsharks jump out of the water like great whites! I'm sure Tred Barta will jump in and testify...
  • NELBAGNELBAG Posts: 251 Officer
    Saltysack wrote: »
    ....Thanks Pumpkin...Well I've heard from plenty of "Captains" not boaters, that it's soley the Capt's responsibility to pay attention to whats in front of him. A radar will pick up a kayak and let them know it's there. If they don't have one...their problem. This thread isn't about visibility anyhow, it's about a nice sail on a shi++y day. And all those guys with flags, it's less than a square foot and barely above their heads...if you cant see a 14' bright **** kayak and a big dude in blaze orange once again...keep your boat at the dock, if you hit a kayak...it's your own negligence that's responsible.

Yeah it may be thier negligence but you will be the one who's life is in danger. Thier are many people who dont now what they are doing driving a boat. Good Luck this year Team Nauti Dogs see you in March.
  • ifishifish Posts: 132 Deckhand
    nice fish. i need to start going offshore....
    Catch ya there Nelli...ifish no better time to start than now...offshore tourney 3-3-12