Home Shimano

Recurring Issues with EXPENSIVE Shimano equipment

FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
If you recall I posted last year around May about the handle knobs on Trinidad A's getting discolored, and Terez rods that had rust bleeding thru the serving thread around the guide feet.
Well the recommended cleaner for the knobs has had minimal effect and the discolring is getting worse with each use. I exchanged both Terez rods for rusting guides on 7/2011 and I just noticed the guides on these rods are rusting as well. Ive also noticed another issue with the rods which are pearl white... they are discoloring. I noticed this when I exchanged them, that the old rods looked dingy yellowish next to the new ones, now the ones I got in exchange are turning color too. In talking with some tackleshops they say they have been seeing and hearing about these issues from other customers as well, so I know I am not alone. Can Shimano help me here with a permanent solution to these problems?
"FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

Replies

• EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    On inshore stuff when Stradic's were the have to have reel - the bearings would go out and all I heard was how great the customer service was. The Okuma Epixor's had just come out so I tried one and even I couldn't tear it up - I don't really do much to my stuff other than use it- I don't want know anything about CS - and still have no idea if Okumas is worth a crap, no clue how long they have been out now.
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    You can send the rods in for warranty replacement.

Shimano
    attn Rod Warranty
    1 Holland
    Irvine, CA 92618

The reels can be sent in as well for knob replacements, or you can give us a call to obtain replacement knobs. 877-577-0600

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Repair_Services.html
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Thanks for the response. Talked to the dealer where I bought the rods and they will exchange them. I'm wondering if shimano has diagnosed the problems and corrected them, ie; "permanent solution", if not the next set of rods and or reel handles will inevitabley develop the same problems again, and the cycle continues??
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    In re the discoloration you are seeing on your white reel handles, I have seen suntan lotion do that to white objects.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    There was a change to the epoxy used to seal the thread wraps to prevent discoloration. The white knobs will not change. You will need to be diligent with making sure they are cleaned after a day on the water.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Thanks for the info Bantam.... Ill make it a point to take xtracare to clean the handles and see how it goes
    Idlewild- I dont use suntan lotion