Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fastest deep diving plug

nbseafrognbseafrog Senior MemberFt Lauderdale, FLPosts: 521 Officer
I normally drag stretch 30's and have enjoyed good success using them to catch kings and groupers near shore. I want to drag some deep diving plugs further offshore for dolphin & wahoo. But the Stretch 30's don't track well much faster than 5-6mph. What's the fastest deep diving plug you troll with? How fast and what have you caught using them? Color preference?

Thanks! Nick
Catch 'em up!

Nick

Replies

• snookyjsnookyj Senior Member MiamiPosts: 1,687 Officer
    Yozuri Bonita is a great lure, not so much a plug, but will get the job done and Braid makes a lure called the marauder that i absolutely love. I have recently bought some lures from Ballyhood that i can drag fast as well but there a lil pricey. The yozuri and braid lures work well on grouper too!!!
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Senior Member Ft Lauderdale, FLPosts: 521 Officer
    Thanks Snooky. I'm looking for something that will dive 20-30ft without using a planer or trolling weight. Is that what the Ballyhood lure is? I've heard the Rapalla deep divers track better at higher speeds but how fast is faster? What about Bomber's version? Anyone have experience with the lipped plugs other than the Manns Stretch series? If so, how fast can you run it (I know, depending on the current and direction)? thanks!
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Senior Member Lighthouse PointPosts: 455 Deckhand
    The big Rapala magnums will track ok at up to 7 knots. Need a pretty strong rod.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point