New Scotty downrigger!!!

Just ordered the Scotty 1073 downrigger that mounts on a kayak and a 3 lb weight. Gonna try slow trolling for kings n wahoo with live bait 50+ ft down. Stoked!! Anyone ever attempt this from a yak and if so how'd it go?? Thanks
A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends

Replies

• LokiLoki Posts: 141 Officer
    I always wanted to use one but I do not know how to stop the king, whoo, tuna or other game fish from wrapping around the manual retrieve downrigger line. For me it’s hard enough to stop fish hooked on my jigging rod from tangling with my flat line.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Lol true. But it cranks up really quick. So I will mount it close enough to crank up while I'm fighting the fish
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    1ft per crank
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    yep 50 ft 50 cranks..... i always been interested, but like Loki said good luck not getting it tangled...
    especially when its bonnie time, bonies like to do big circles when u get hooked up. and yes a bonie will eat a gog.............. i would never try on my O.K. but on the P.A. why not.... been looking at used ones on C.L..... let us know how it goes..... :thumbsup
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 243 Officer
    I used a cuban hand reel and a deck cleat a bunch of times with a fair bit of sucess at getting a bait down, but if you thought trolling a plug or two created drag, try a big heavy weight, 50-75' of #130 mono, and the bait! The hand reel was pretty quick at getting the line up or down, but still needed two hands... at any rate, my whole set-up including the clips cost me $15 vs. whatever scotty is charging you.
    it was cheap. online for $60 and ive had crazy success on boats slow trolling live baits so I figured id give it a try. bait looks much more natural without all that terminal tackle attached lol
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,297 Moderator
    If you get it, please post pics i am interested to see the layout.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • ZOFCHAKZOFCHAK Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I attempted to use a Cannon Mini-Troll on a yak, but it ended up being a complete disaster With down rigger rods it was very difficult to reach the end and set the release. In a boat it's not a big deal as you can pull the rod back, but that's a lot easier said than done when confined to your seat in a kayak. Also, the drag of the larg cannonball continuously pulled my kayak to the side.

What I ended up using instead are inline weight releases and 1lb cannonballs. I make the cannonballs with scrap lead, so it's pretty cost effective. Much easier to handle the rods this way, and there's less cluttering up of the deck. The 1lb cannonballs also allow you to get the lines away from the boat, and don't get in the way of your paddle like a down rigger cable.
    Its ready! too bad its gonna be too rough this weekend :banghead.. praying sunday calms down a little more. headed to biscayne bay tomorrow maybe ill drop it down a foot and drag the flats lol
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Dude u suck.. Now I wanna waste 60 bucks...
    Looks good... Just in time for the king bite....
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Yessir can't wait man! At least on the slow days can prob grab a few kings
    Pro angler is a good platform for it. Not sure about the smaller kayaks though...
    Officially tried the downrigger on Sunday... went out of Dania with only 4 live gogs put out the downrigger right past the reef and it was really easy to set the depth you want and see where it is on the fish finder. within an hour I got crushed on all 4 of my baits. 1 cutoff, 1 cut in half, 1 stole the bait, and 1 fish that i fought which screamed drag for a few minutes before cutting my #50 flouro above the wire leader (think it was a huge king). Unfortunately didnt land any but considered it a huge success considering 4 hits in an hour and ive gone full days out there without a hit on a gog
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Just curious what depths you were trying and what size weight you used? Also did you have any issues with bringing it up or leaving it down while you had a fish on?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    atfirst i set it at 40' for about 10 min without any hits then i dropped it to 55' and had success. i used a 3 lb weight which did the job no problem. #2 would probly work also. no problem bringing the cable up. its mounted close to my seat so while i was fighting the fish i just cranked it up real fast
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    atfirst i set it at 40' for about 10 min without any hits then i dropped it to 55' and had success. i used a 3 lb weight which did the job no problem. #2 would probly work also. no problem bringing the cable up. its mounted close to my seat so while i was fighting the fish i just cranked it up real fast
    It sounds great! Maybe one of these days I can add one to my yak. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
    ah so thats where the kingfish action was yesterday! I only got one bit hit and i had weighted my ballyhoo down with a 1/2 oz trolling weight, perhaps next time i will use a full oz to get it deeper. My kayak definitely doesnt have the space for the downriggger.