Trailering a boat over the Skyway Bridge

We are headed down to the keys for our annual pilgrimage. every year I take the long way around, I4 to i75. But this year I have a new Tundra and new trailer and I am considering taking the short route over the Skyway. The boat will probably weigh 8000 pounds loaded with all of our toys.

Anybody here ever make that haul or have advice for me?

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,712 AG
    I've made that haul many times in one of two Tahoes, but never with a load that big. My advice would be to get up some speed before you hit the incline.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Ya build up as much speed as possible and kick it down as quick as you can - I go that way all the time but its not 8000lbs, so what if your slow at the top LOL
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 816 Officer
    I have a travel trailer that weighs in at 8,575 loaded and I haul it up the skyway with an F250 deisel with no real issues.
  • HawaiianMateHawaiianMate Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I think you will be fine. Just make sure your transmission cooler is running good. Guys do it all the time. The 5.7 is rated to pull 10k.
  • unclevernameunclevername Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I have the 5.7 engine. Not as worried about the getting up the bridge as I am the getting down. The trailer has breaks but 8000 lbs pushing a relatively light pick up truck is worrisome. But I guess the breaks will temper that effect.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    I thought those new tundras had a really high tow rating? 8k shouldnt be crap for them
  • unclevernameunclevername Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Yeah it is rated for 10,000. But controlling the load over the Skyway is more of a concern. I think I am going to try it. If you read about a guy who killed his family by pulling this 26' CC over the skyway loaded to the max with fishing and dive gear....That was me :)
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,106 Captain
    I have done it with an expedition towing my boat many times. No issues. Always makes you think a little about that little pin holding your hitch in place but never had a problem. My boat loaded with fuel etc is probably close to 5,000-5,500 pounds (3600 hull, 575 motor, roughly 1000 in fuel + supplies etc...).
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • BiohazzardBiohazzard Posts: 221 Officer
    Done it quite a few times with my previous boat(small) and truck with no issues. Gonna try the taking the pathfinder over the skyway for the first time this Friday with the wifes new Ford Flex(6 banger) on our way to Marathon. WIsh me luck.
  • wiperwiper Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I tow a 14000 pound 36 over it almost every week. The past couple weeks they had some cones out and I almost bit it when an 18 wheeler came blowing by me a foot inside my lane, not a big deal without the cones but a puckering situation with them. My F250 has engine braking, if you have the same I'd put it into tow/haul mode to activate and set the gain on your electric brake controller a little higher than normal. On the other hand, they say it's better to be safe than sorry.
    [HTML]www.tenoroc.us[/HTML]
    [HTML]www.ultimatearms.us[/HTML]
  • proline251proline251 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Its no big deal. Just take it easy if you are worried about it. Downshift on the top if you are worried about picking up too much speed on the way down. don't ride your breaks the whole way down. Biggest load I have driven over it was the proline being pulled by my fathers old 86 26' Ford motor home on the way to and from the keys.