Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

My year in review

OnTheMarkOnTheMark Posts: 9 Greenhorn
I have followed the forum for some time now, but have never posted. It looks like some of you "regulars" have had excellent seasons, congrats to you all. I am from jacksonville and it seems many of you are from the southern part of the state. My season started out during bow seasons, the first weekend was a little slow, but then it picked up. One afternoon during the week I left class (law school) a little early a ran to a management area just south of town in time to climb a big pine over a heavily used trail. Around 515 i heard a deer get out of a bed and brush by some palmettoes. About 5 minutes later i saw a deer's horns come through a spot of sunlight. I got up, turned and knocked my release, the deer came straight to me, it was a decent 6 point and as i drew back some pine bark broke off the tree and when it hit the ground the deer pinpointed me, when i let it fly he was about 14 yards and believe it or not, i shot right over him, i thought it was my fault, but felt like the deer dropped much more than normal, "jumping the string", disgusted i called my buddy I was hunting with and told him. I got another arrow and settled back in, 5 minutes later down the same trail i see another deer, it was a bigger buck coming down the same trail. When he got to the same exact spot, 14 yards, I stopped him, put the top pin on him, drop it down just a "scosh", and let it rip. It was a good hit and 40 yards away he piled up. A nice North Florida 8 pt with a broken tine.

I was looking for a picture, but they are all on my phone and will try to download one later.

Bow season yielded another small cull deer that had one horn growing down beside his face, a messed up 5 point from a small family owned farm.

After exams I spent several days catching up on my time in the woods and with my family the first week of December. We have a lease in SW Georgia. A friend of mine accomanied me and he was fortunate enough to take two nice 8 pts. I saw a really nice deer one afternoon and as I was preparing to shoot him I realized something was wrong with his rack, he had broken his rack at the base of his G2 from fighting. While he was a trophy quality deer, I didnt see the sense in shooting him with a abroken rack. Luckily, trail cam pictures show he survived the season. On the last morning there I got down out of my stand and was heading to pick up my buddy, who I had put in a stand i thought he might see a coyote out of. The terrain allowed me to see his stand from several hundred yards away. As I drove up about 200 yards away, I see him sitting in the stand and he isnt getting down. I waited he sat there. In my binoculars I made sure he was ok, then i see him barely waving his hand at me. Not sure what he was doing I walked down the edge of the field to him. At the base of his stand he told me he could see a really nice buck down the ridge of this cotton field. He said it was a 10 pt. In short, he had seen the deer come across the field following a doe and bedded down across the field from the stand between the the cotton field and a weed field just in the edge of the weeds. Instead of stalking the deer, I climbed up in the stand with my friend. Two grown men in a ladder and a half stand is a little tight, but we managed. We could see the deers antlers sticking up in the weeds. Over the course of three hours we saw two small bucks come in and fight, but the big buck wasnt leaving the doe. He stood up a couple times, but did not offer a clear shot. Keith and I practiced how I was going to get a good rest. We decided that Keith would leen forward and lay his arms across the rest on the stand, I would lay the gun over his shoulder, when I was ready to shoot he would hold his breathe unitl i shot. Finally, three hours into watching a set of antlers sticking up out of weeds, the doe got up. The buck followed suit. At 170 yards he turned broadside. We got into position, I told Keith I was gonna shoot, he held his breathe, plugged his closest ear to my gun, and I dropped the hammer. The deer stumbled about 20 yards and fell. We got down and went to recover what turned out to be a nice 142" 10 pt.

This was the last deer I harvested during the 2011-12 season and what an incredible hunt it was. Hopefully I figured out how to attach the photo properly. I'm ready for a short break and will be back in the woods soon preparing for turkey season.

Replies