Stradic FI handles (grips)

Replies

• AbyssAbyss Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Race wrote: »
    So, that apparently means the Stradic FJ will have this problem, too? As well as any other model with Septon handles?
    Not necessarily. I don't use them as often but I also own a Stradic 8000 FI and Saragosta 18K that look like they use the same material yet they are holding up fine. I only use them offshore where I don't use Gulp or bug spray so that could tell you something.
    bantam1 wrote: »
    RD11287
    RD13673 x2
    RD16132
    RD16166
    RD16167

I added descriptions to the part numbers Bantam1 provided as well as price / availability that I was quoted from the customer support line @ (877) 577-0600 below:

Sorry to drag this out but here's the big question - Are the knobs on the Stradic STCI4+3000 and Stradic STCI4+4000 interchangable? Since the Handles on the Stradic 3000FI and Stradic 5000FI are identical (I know they are because I own 4 of them), then this should mean that either handle (from the STCI4+3000 or STCI4+4000) should work on either the Stradic 3000 or the Stradic 5000FI - Please confirm.

If so, the next obvious question is - aside from size, what's the difference between the two knobs? Reason being, since the handle on the Stradic CI4+4000 (RD16166) cost half as much, and I like larger handles (and I'm cheap), then I'm inclined to put that one on all 4 of my reels as long as it's not a totally awkward combination.

Parts listed below will fit the handle of a Stradic 3000FI which is the same handle as a Stradic 5000FI.

RD11287 - Handle Knob for STCI4+3000FA $13.57
    RD13673 x2 - O-Ring (Same PN for both reels) .52c
    RD16132 - Handle Knob Seal for STCI4+3000FA $4.94

RD16166 - Handle Knob for STCCI4+4000FA $6.91 (back ordered until Mid Oct)

RD13673 x2 - O-Ring (Same PN for both reels) .52c
    RD16167 - Handle Knob Seal for STCI4+4000 $7.43
  • RaceRace Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Abyss wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I don't use them as often but I also own a Stradic 8000 FI and Saragosta 18K that look like they use the same material yet they are holding up fine. I only use them offshore where I don't use Gulp or bug spray so that could tell you something.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The FJ does not use Septon for the handle material. The issues we have seen are random. The one common thing I have heard with most of the issues is Gulp products, but I cannot say that is the confirmed reason.
    bantam1 wrote: »
    The knobs and end caps are all that you should need. Use the knob for the 3000FA size for the 3000FI. For your 5000 you will need the 4000FA knob and end plate. I'm having trouble accessing my schematics at this moment. Give me a little time and I will post the exact part numbers that you will need.
    In case my earlier question wasn't clear... Since the Stradic 3000FI and the Stradic 5000FI both use the exact same handle, does this mean that either of those two knobs will work?

If so, aside from physical size and shape, is there any other major difference between the two knobs?
    Wow, nearly 4 years and 7 pages and I thought we finally had a solution to the gummy handle knobs on the Stradic 3000 and 5000 FI's but apparently not. I got concerned when I didn't get a response from Bantam1 on this thread or via PM, he has been very helpful in the past so I went ahead and ordered the replacement parts anyway. Well, the handle knob and seals for the Stradic 3000 FA came in today and they DO NOT WORK. The knob and seal for the Stradic 4000FA is on back order until Feb so I'll hold a sliver of hope but based on what I see it isn't going to work either.

The shaft length and diameter of the FA knobs appears to be same as the FI but lower bearing doesn't fit inside at all and the upper (outer) bearing does fit inside but it is not nearly thick enough to hold the new knob in place without some sort of bushing. I'll take a closer look at the schematic but if I need to order the new FA bearings it's going to be cost prohibitive.

Hate to think someone will find this thread some day and read through 7 pages of this BS only to find a dead end but with Bantam1 no longer participating in this forum I'm not very hopeful.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    Abyss wrote: »
    Wow, nearly 4 years and 7 pages and I thought we finally had a solution to the gummy handle knobs on the Stradic 3000 and 5000 FI's but apparently not. I got concerned when I didn't get a response from Bantam1 on this thread or via PM, he has been very helpful in the past so I went ahead and ordered the replacement parts anyway. Well, the handle knob and seals for the Stradic 3000 FA came in today and they DO NOT WORK. The knob and seal for the Stradic 4000FA is on back order until Feb so I'll hold a sliver of hope but based on what I see it isn't going to work either.

The shaft length and diameter of the FA knobs appears to be same as the FI but lower bearing doesn't fit inside at all and the upper (outer) bearing does fit inside but it is not nearly thick enough to hold the new knob in place without some sort of bushing. I'll take a closer look at the schematic but if I need to order the new FA bearings it's going to be cost prohibitive.

Hate to think someone will find this thread some day and read through 7 pages of this BS only to find a dead end but with Bantam1 no longer participating in this forum I'm not very hopeful.

bantam got transferred. he was supposed to appoint another person ,but never did , I think it's this guy.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/member.php?65790-FishShimano

these grips fit shimano..you might want to contact them for more info.

http://www.jiggingworld.com/shimano-1/?sort=priceasc
    johnD wrote: »
    bantam got transferred. he was supposed to appoint another person ,but never did , I think it's this guy.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/member.php?65790-FishShimano

these grips fit shimano..you might want to contact them for more info.

http://www.jiggingworld.com/shimano-1/?sort=priceasc

Thanks for the info on Jiggingworld, is that Kilsong's shop? I just called them and the guy I spoke with wasn't sure if their power knobs would fit the Stradic FI but he said they can adapt them to fit almost anything and they'll do the labor no charge. He said just buy the knob and pay for the round trip shipping and they'll make it work.

Could be a good option if the I can't get the FJ knobs to work... after the holidays I think I'll send them one of the handles and and report back here.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    yes , that Kilsong's site. FJ will have the same problem. they changed the material on the **** , idk if it's any better I haven't had enough time in on mine to tell.
    My mistake, I meant to say FA... The replacement knob I just received for the 3000 FA is a foam grip.
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Solved the freaking problem.

I was always confuse about the type A and type B handle until one day I decided to open up the handle on my Stellas, Stradic, and Spheros.

Stella FB 4000: Type B handle shaft about 32mm long

Stella FD 4000: Type A handle shaft (about 27 mm long) but needs a 4x5x3 mm aluminum sleeve to turn it into a Stella FE and FI handle. That sleeve comes standard with Yumeya type A foam grip. You can substitute the standard 4x7x2.5 mm type A bearing and add some copper shim if you can't source that aluminum sleeve. If anybody knows where to get this sleeve, please let me know:

Aluminum%20Sleeve_zpscduxhafa.jpg

Stella FE and FI 4000: Type A handle, knobs will interchange if the FE knob is discontinued. Not sure if the FE knob is Septon so might as well get the FI knob.

Spheros SW and all 5000 and larger Shimano use type B handle.
    Shimano Stradic FI 2500-5000: Type B handle but with slotted nut instead of a screw to secure the knob.

So you guessed it, Spheros SW 6000 knob which comes with a 5x9x3 bushing on one side anda 4x9x4 bushing on the other side fits perfectly. You no longer have to drill out the handle shaft and use aftermarket parts. Also any aftermarket type B handle from Jigging World will also fit. Just don't forget the 5x9x3 mm and 4x9x4 mm bearing and a few copper shims that is next to the bearing.

Now I need to find a paddle type type B handle since a big old knob on a 3000 size Stradic is a bit awkward.

20160616_174014_zpsoasmoe8a.jpg
    aquaholik wrote: »
    Solved the freaking problem.

I was always confuse about the type A and type B handle until one day I decided to open up the handle on my Stellas, Stradic, and Spheros.

Stella FB 4000: Type B handle shaft about 32mm long

Stella FD 4000: Type A handle shaft (about 27 mm long) but needs a 4x5x3 mm aluminum sleeve to turn it into a Stella FE and FI handle. That sleeve comes standard with Yumeya type A foam grip. You can substitute the standard 4x7x2.5 mm type A bearing and add some copper shim if you can't source that aluminum sleeve. If anybody knows where to get this sleeve, please let me know:

Aluminum%20Sleeve_zpscduxhafa.jpg

Stella FE and FI 4000: Type A handle, knobs will interchange if the FE knob is discontinued. Not sure if the FE knob is Septon so might as well get the FI knob.

Spheros SW and all 5000 and larger Shimano use type B handle.
    Shimano Stradic FI 2500-5000: Type B handle but with slotted nut instead of a screw to secure the knob.

So you guessed it, Spheros SW 6000 knob which comes with a 5x9x3 bushing on one side anda 4x9x4 bushing on the other side fits perfectly. You no longer have to drill out the handle shaft and use aftermarket parts. Also any aftermarket type B handle from Jigging World will also fit. Just don't forget the 5x9x3 mm and 4x9x4 mm bearing and a few copper shims that is next to the bearing.

Now I need to find a paddle type type B handle since a big old knob on a 3000 size Stradic is a bit awkward.

20160616_174014_zpsoasmoe8a.jpg

Must be one of the longest running thread on FS.com...
    I have two static 5000FI's and two 3000FI's so I'd like to try putting the Spheros SW 6000 knobs on the 5000FI's while I wait for a better solution for the 3000FI's.
    To be clear - to do this will I need to purchase new bearings and if so what part number from what reel?
    Just search ebay for those bearing size I listed. You don't really need the copper shim and can reuse the one from the old FI.

The Spheros SW only comes with bushing in the reel handle so you can't get the part number from there. If you want bearings from shimano them look at the Stella SW or Twinpower SW in the 6000 size.

Edit: for best fit, use a 5x9x3 mm bearing on one side and a 4x9x2.5 mm bearing to go on the threaded spindle. It will give the slotted brass bolt more room to grab. The original bearings near the threaded spindle is 4x7x2.5 mm but you need a 4x9x2.5 mm to fit the egg knob.

I tried the egg knob from the Stella SW 5000 and the 4x9x4mm from the Stella SW 5000 barely leaves any room for the brass bolt to catch so that is why you will need the 4x9x2.5 mm to install an aftermarket type B handle like the Votex knob from Jiggingworld.
  • SaltFlyTyerSaltFlyTyer Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Ok folks. I have been dealing with these handles for some time now. I have come up with a couple different solutions so far.

First is to coat a new handle with rod epoxy. It works and will last a long time assuming the handle is new. If it is old and tacky it will still work but eventually the rubber underneath the epoxy falls apart. Cons to this is not many people have the ability to spin a handle coated with epoxy for 24 hours.

Second which I just completed and don't have a long term review. I purchased 2 new handles and coated them with plastidip. Very easy to do. Hopefully it will last. Time will tell.

Kris.
  • SaltFlyTyerSaltFlyTyer Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Ok folks the plastidip works awesome. I removed all of the old sticky rubber. Placed a little bit of tape over the bearing and screw and dipped it twice. It's not sticky, and it works awesome. I fished Monday and no issues.

Fix em up. $5

Kris.
  • topnotchtomtopnotchtom Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I have found a way to fix this problem....Peel off the rubber then dip the handle in liquid rubber...like u dip tools in. Let it dry and do this 2 more times. It will last a long time maybe as long as the reel.
    Great solution with the rubber dip.

I finally found a smaller knob that works with it without having to drill out the shaft and put in a new one:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/655710-no-cure-for-stradic-fi-handle/

Short version: You need the Gomexus Knob and ask for the Stradic FI version so that he can include the 5x8x2.5 mm bearing and the 4x8x3 mm bearing. You will need and additional four 5x8x2.5 mm bearings to fill in the 1cm gap between the step down inside the knob and the outer 4x8x3 mm bearing. PM me if you need further help and want to go this route.

20170522_131417_zps20d4bbhb.jpg

20170520_115048_zpsvuc1ua7t.jpg
  • Rcf2b23Rcf2b23 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Ok so I just drilled out the handle for my Stradic FI 5000. What power handle fits without having any issues
    aquaholik wrote: »
    Great solution with the rubber dip.

I finally found a smaller knob that works with it without having to drill out the shaft and put in a new one:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/655710-no-cure-for-stradic-fi-handle/

Short version: You need the Gomexus Knob and ask for the Stradic FI version so that he can include the 5x8x2.5 mm bearing and the 4x8x3 mm bearing. You will need and additional four 5x8x2.5 mm bearings to fill in the 1cm gap between the step down inside the knob and the outer 4x8x3 mm bearing. PM me if you need further help and want to go this route.

20170522_131417_zps20d4bbhb.jpg

20170520_115048_zpsvuc1ua7t.jpg

How do I direct message you?
    No need to drill it out!

But if you already did, you can go with any type A handle.
    I'm looking at other reviews and it says type b
    The shaft you drilled out is a type B. You could have bought a type B knob and fit it directly. The knob in your link is a type A but they supply the type A length shaft to go with it. Hopefully you didn't enlarge the existing hole and just drilled out the shaft only. Put the new shaft on with the supplied accessories and then put the knob on. He gives you bearings in that kit also.
    The Stradic 5000 Knob is riveted. So I cut the shaft of the existing knob, drilled out the rivet. Now I have the handle with just the regular hole in it where the knob goes.I tried to take just the knob off by itself and there were no screws or way to get it off without drilling it out. If I buy just the type A knob, the shaft should just fit in the handle hole and screw in from the inside right?
    Or the type B
    Type A is fine since it's the only one that comes with a shaft. What model is your Stradic?
    5000 Fi
    ST-5000FI_WW_1.gif
  • SmythleySmythley Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Aquaholik, I ordered the knob and bearings you recommended, but I can't for the life of me figure out the order in which everything goes on! I tried the other website where the details were listed, but it seems to be down. Thanks for any help you could give me
    See the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5S4FUs3Hw&feature=youtu.be

Which size Stradic are you upgrading? 3000-4000 or 2500? Did he include a long 6x8x10 mm bushing in your kit? If not, he can send you one free of charge.

The 2500 installs a little differently since it's a shorter type A. PM me if you have any question.

Below is the sequence for the 3000-4000 Stradic Fi and Sustain FE 3000-4000 and Stella FB 4000:

Stradic%203000%20FI%20installation%20sequence_zpscq4olra5.jpg