Stradic FI handles (grips)

jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Officer
Does anyone know of aftermarket replacement handles or grips for the Stradic FI series?
I have 5 Stradic FI's (4) 4000's and (1) 3000. The rubber grip on all five of the reels are coming apart.
They have seen normal use and have always been taken care of, but now they are sticky and coming apart.
When contacting my local dealer they said the entire handle must be replaced ($55 each).

With all of the complaints on the new "round" handles on the CI4 and other models and the higher price for parts I'm surprised that a third party company has not started manufacturing handles for these reels. I'm sure that others will share the same thought that having multiple options (T-handle, paddle handle, round handle, large knob, etc.) would be nice.

Shimano should start selling all versions of the handles in the local tackle shop so that customers can buy whichever handle they prefer.
Any chance this rubber coming off is covered under warranty?

Regards,
Josh B.
| Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |

Replies

• GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Officer
    I have seen aftermarket foam and alumn balls handles on sites that said they can be made to fit stradics and sustains. They were designed for stellas and goasas but supposed to work for other shimanos. But they arent any cheaper than just buying a factory handle from shimano.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The knobs can be replaced on the FI models. The only products we have seen causa damage to the Septon is some brands of sunscreen. I would switch brands if you can, or make sure your hands are clean. You can give us a call at 877-577-0600 to obtain the knobs.
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    they make some aftermarket yumeya grips but there close to a $100 and come from japan..imo you're better off buying the ones from shimano in california and keeping the sunscreen off them like Bantam said.
    this guy turned one down on a lathe.
    http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29947
    Those will not work on the newer models. The handles thread in on the Stradic FI. These look like Stradic FH, FG or Sustain FA handles to me. They are a different design.
  • mixitupmixitup Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Did you solve the problem of the Stradic FI rubber handle getting soft and falling off? I have the same problem. I was able (with great difficulty and resistance from Shimano) to replace the handle one time. They gave me no idea as to what caused it. I was very careful to not spray the rubber with WD-40, Real Magic, or Corrosion X, but the rubber is dissolving and falling off again. I use waterproof (e.g., Coppertone) spray sunscreen, and don't use much (usually only applying hours before I leave the dock).

It seems to be a design flaw on the part of Shimano. To replace the entire handle assembly (the only option), is expensive.

Has anyone come up with a way to fix this?
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    mixitup wrote: »
    Did you solve the problem of the Stradic FI rubber handle getting soft and falling off? I have the same problem. I was able (with great difficulty and resistance from Shimano) to replace the handle one time. They gave me no idea as to what caused it. I was very careful to not spray the rubber with WD-40, Real Magic, or Corrosion X, but the rubber is dissolving and falling off again. I use waterproof (e.g., Coppertone) spray sunscreen, and don't use much (usually only applying hours before I leave the dock).

It seems to be a design flaw on the part of Shimano. To replace the entire handle assembly (the only option), is expensive.

Has anyone come up with a way to fix this?

you do know that grip comes off with one flat headed screw..pretty sure you don't have to order the whole handle assembly.
    combination of the direct sunlight and sunscreen does it.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics.html

call 877-577-0600

w7dUj.png
    The sunscreen may be the cause of the problem. We cannot test every brand of sunscreen against the DuPont Septon material unfortunately.
  • joshuajoshua Posts: 206 Officer
    Im also positive that what causes the rubber to do this is certain chemicals...also WD40 is one of the worst culprits heck I don't even own a can of that junk.
    Sorry, I misspoke or used the wrong terminology. I should have said the "whole handle" instead of "handle assembly" By that I mean that just the rubber part cannot be replaced. The handle includes the rubber, and the metal parts under the rubber (excluding bearings/washers/etc.).

That part (RD8170) costs about $30 including shipping. That is almost 1/4 the price of the entire reel. That is outrageous.

You would think that Shimano would make this part available at cost and a very low price given that they used a rubber compound that dissolves when exposed to commonly used substances like sun screen or WD40. I don't buy the excuse that they can't test every sunscreen or lubricant. There are compounds that they could and could have used that are known to be highly resistant to most solvent-like substances. Shimano just screwed up.

By the way, the diagram you posted is NOT for the Stradic 4000FI. The right one is at: http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/08ST4000FI_v1_m56577569830631943.pdf
  • joshuajoshua Posts: 206 Officer
    I don't think shimano screwed up I just think that they wanted to have a nice grippy handle unlike many other reels that have very HARD handles that feel cheap. Why are fishing reels exposed to WD40??? thats like the biggest no no!!
  • AnglersMarkAnglersMark Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I've had the same problem and the same issue of having to replace the entire handle with an expensive replacement. You'd think that IF sunscreen is the culprit that Shimano would come up with a different design. I mean what are they thinking? Sunscreen is going to be on almost any boat.
    Isn't WD40 the most likely thing that a reel part or handle would be exposed to? Not that I don't know the limited value and sometimes negative effects of WD.

I really don't think that the problem with the handles dissolving is due to WD40, however. My handle is the second one, and I was careful to not expose it to WD40. I got a new handle from Shimano, after much foot dragging. Then I did not use any WD on the handle. Shimano did not mention the sunscreen issue.

Even though I use very little sunscreen, and normally apply it only before leaving for fishing -- giving little or no opportunity for anything other than trace amounts of sunscreen to get on the handle --- the handle (the second one) still started dissolving.

I called Shimano two days ago, and after much resistance, they agreed that they would send me a new handle -- but I had to send them my old one. I guess they thought that I or someone would be accumulating handles. After considering that I did not want to give up using my reel for a couple of weeks, I did my own fix.

The thinnest part of the handle that dissolves first is the part over the spindle where the handle screws into the crank. So, I took the handle off, and I happened to have some good shrink tubing that fits over the spindle. That covered the split rubber over the spindle and should last a long time. The first handle dissolved all over before I realized it was happening, so now being careful I expect to get a long time out of the handle. I also gave it a few coats of ArmorAll to rid the handle of most of its stickiness on the thicker part that had not yet dissolved completely away.

I would have hoped that Shimano would have offered to send me and others an replacement handle without having to jump through the hoops of mailing our handle back and losing the use of the reel until a new handle.
    We simply cannot test every brand of sunscreen on the market against the Septon material that we use. In the past there used to be issues with Bullfrog. There was something in there that affected the clear coat on the reel finish, and we also saw issues with the Septon. Fast forward a few more years and there are several more brands.
  • sightin4redssightin4reds Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    joshua wrote: »
    Im also positive that what causes the rubber to do this is certain chemicals...also WD40 is one of the worst culprits heck I don't even own a can of that junk.
    x2!!!
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,074 Admiral
    Quit with the whole sunscreen crap and WD40 crap. I have multiple Stradics and ALL of them have the same problem. Add to it the fact that I fish exclusively freshwater with them, never clean my reels, never use WD40, and yes, get this -- never use sunscreen. Guess what? Same problem. It's a design flaw. Come on, admit it. You guys nail it on every other design aspect but you missed the boat on that material. And it has nothing to do with anything other than sunlight exposure, air, and/or fish slime - because that's the only three items my reels ever come into contact with. Come on Bantam. Admit it and we won't hold it against you :)
  • Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 271 Officer
    I have the same issue and use zero sunscreen. It's either Pro Cure or corrosion x in my case. I tried to use epoxy with no luck. I wish they would send me a replacement. I called and they acted like they never heard of the issue and asked that I send my reel back for investigation. I wish they would send me a handle or knob.
    This is not some cover up, and no we do not just send out knobs at no charge. DuPont makes the Septon material. Florida seems to be the only state that has this problem, well most of the complaints come from Florida. The issues never came up in field testing and we cannot duplicate the problems. We have sent the damaged knobs to the factory and they are not able to determine why it happens. The best guess was some sort of chemical broke down the Septon, or the combination of UV and chemicals.

So either there is something in the water or the air in your state, or there are some chemicals that we are not thinking of that are causing the problem. This is the same material we used on the Stella. This is the same material we have been using on several reel models over the years. This is why I am confused as to why all of a sudden there is a problem. It isn't as wide spread as you all think. We sell thousands of reels in this territory and have minimal complaints. This is why I feel there is something else causing the break down.
    Maybe it's the chewing tobacco residue on my fingers from when I pinch me a lipper and then keep on fishin :)

Seriously though. It has to be something with the sunlight or humidity *if* the problem is isolated to FL. I am not using sunscreen, or any other chemicals, cleaners, lubricants or de-greasers. The only thing that comes into contact with my reels is sun, air, fresh water out of a lake, tobacco residue, and fish slime from my bass catchin. I spoke with the guys at Bitter's Bait and Tackle today, and they are also aware of the problem on the Stradic handles.

As a final note, the handle on the Sahara looks like the handles on the old Stradic. Are they interchangeable?
    Well I would be careful of the water considering there have been a couple of "zombie" attacks in Florida now...maybe the bass slime? I bass fish here in CA and do not have the problem. As I stated we have sent samples of the damaged handles to Japan and they cannot duplicate the problem in their testing. There may have been changes for the new models. I have not been told of any, but that doesn't mean they didn't make any changes to the composition.

I'm not sure if the handles will interchange. I have only played with a sample reel and not the final product. Sometimes there are small changes for final production.
  • crlwmscrlwms Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Watch out for bug repellent with DEET in it. It dissolves fly line coating, sunglass ear protectors, etc. Anything that feels a big sofft and cushy (rubber-like) seems to dissolve over a short time. I'd be willing to bet it is not sunscreen causing the damage.
  • squalodon68squalodon68 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    The same thing is happening to my Stradic 4000FI. I wish the handle knob was made out of the same stuff as on my old Spheros reels. I've never had a problem with them.
    The Spheros knobs were rubber. This is a material called Septon.
  • CarolinaJimCarolinaJim Posts: 101 Officer
    Gulp juice eats the septon up.
    I have not heard that before. I need to pass that along to our QC team.
    Gulp juice eats the septon up.

Finally we have something that is a possibility since I do use Gulp! occasionally!
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    I found that freezing the handle stops the stickyness, at least for me, I also know some bug sprays make them sticky
  • topnotchtomtopnotchtom Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    It is the sunscreen that does it. I take mine and take all the rubber off then dip them into the plastic stuff you dip tool handles in. Works great!
  • Bull RedBull Red Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    This whole blaming the Gulp juice, sunscreen, WD-40, soap, lubricants, or anything else that is dissolving/tearing up the handle grip is baloney. What are dissolving/tearing up the septon handles are cause by sun exposure and the aging of the rubber in handle. I don't use sunscreen, WD-40, soap, lubricants and Gulp lures, but my handles are getting sticky and dissolving/breaking apart. The rubbers these handle are made from rubber that will overtime age and loose its property. Adding the exposure of the sun on the rubber accelerating the aging process of the rubber. Shimano needs to stop blaming and start addressing the inferior rubber that they used in these handles.
    It is not rubber. The material is called Septon and it is made by DuPont. Certain chemicals do affect the material. The problem has been mostly isolated to Florida and other humid places. It could be a combination of several things that is causing this to happen. That is why we went to EVA on some of the new reel models.