Home Fly Fishing

Saltwater 6wt

California RedneckCalifornia Redneck Posts: 71 Greenhorn
I am looking for a saltwater 6wt, max budget is $300 or less.

Currently fish a St Croix Imperial (old model) 8wt, 90% of my time is spent on the flts around Panama City, St Joe Bay and the intercoastal waterway. The rest of my time is spent between the sandars off the beach.

Main target for the 6wt will be trout, reds, and hybrids in the ICW.

Size 1-2 baitfish patterns and 2-4 shrimp and crabs, nothing big or heavy.

The opportunity to compare rods side by side may not be an option, Panama City had one fly shop that went out of business.

Thoughts on TFO vs St Croix SW6 models?

Thanks...dave

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,373 Captain
    At 300$ you're best option would probably be a BVK, but I would never suggest anyone purchase any rod without casting it first. St. Croix does fantastic things with their SCV-SCIV graphite, but their price point offerings aren't very impressive. Redington makes a couple nice rods within your budget, as does Echo, Colton, and Beulah.
  • MUSKEGON MANMUSKEGON MAN Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I've been using a Cabelas Stowaway 6 wt rod with either a 6 or 7 wt line for at least 9 years. I mostly saltwater fish in St. Joe Bay, when I get down from Michigan. Even used it in Mexico for bonefish. Never had a problem reaching or landing fish up to 10#. I think the price is around $100, so you can use it for a backup rod in an emergency.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    X2 on the BVK. Super light weight rod with great fish fighting action, under $250 price point. Cast it with the reel and line you will be fishing with then compare it to the others with same reel and line to make an informed choice.
  • seapieseapie Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Check out Cabela's L-Tech rods. A local guide/friend introduced me to one and I've been using it for beach snook for three years now. Cabela offers them from 4 to 8 wts. for $230.
  • Harkers Island TailfisherHarkers Island Tailfisher Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Hard to beat the TFO BVK in that price range, or higher really, but do cast it and see what you think about it. I think ODC posted something I agreed with before the site went down and came back up ---- if TFO were to go to a slightly nicer grade of cork, the BVK would be about as nice a rod as anyone could want, the grip might be the only downside to the best flyrod under $300 out there today.

Good Fishing!!!
    Ain't much that's never been done, but there's a ton of stuff that should never be done again!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    Check out some of the rods from Ross Worldwide.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Pea_HunterPea_Hunter Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I am throwing the BVK 6 and love it. You should cast anything you can before you buy it if possible. I've handed mine out for a few months now and everybody says the same thing......fast and very light. Good luck with your choice...
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    Check out Yellowstone Anglers 2011 5 wgt. shootout here http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp
    There are lots of good rods for the price point your looking for read, digest, go cast and then decide. The differences between the 5 and 6 will be negligible as far as ratings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • BillABillA Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    What feels good is very personal. I tried the TFO Axiom, TiCr, TiCrx, and BVK in 6, 8, and 10.....and chose the Axiom in 6 and 10, and the BVK in 8. Go figure. Too bad about the cork, though.