Skip to main content
Home Boating

Upgrade to 2011

jjchompjjchomp Posts: 35 Deckhand
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I have a 2010 189 and am thinking about upgrading to the 2011. Let me put it this way if the 2011 was available I would have bought one without thinking. I have ridden the 2011 and it's a beast. I really love my boat except for the dark hull. It looks great when detailed but takes a lot to keep it that way. I fish mostly in choko. I don't think the 2011 would keep me out of any spots that I go to now. And I know I would be able get offshore on those rougher days.

Just not sure if it's worth it to upgrade. Talk me into/out of the 2011.

John

Replies

• MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Just make sure you don't order another dark hull ;-)
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 459 Deckhand
    I have an 08 189 and I'm very much considering upgrading to the 2011 next year. The only issue i have with the upgrade is I wont' be able to keep it in a garage. Otherwise, the 2011 is awesome and worth it if you can swing it!

And dark hulls are a ton of up keep. I have a ice blue which is very little upkeep. Always looks clean.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    Personally do not see a reason for the 2011. I would take my 189 anywhere you would take that 2011 in a heartbeat and the forward live well just isn’t THAT cool to warrant a whole new boat. Maybe if the 2011 had something to set it apart like a console big enough for flush mount MFD, more vertical rod holders, fish box, etc I could see it. But for me… its just an 189 with a bigger motor that you can’t store in the garage. I thought long and hard about it because I did know about it and could have waited to get one… didn’t see the point.

BTW – I have a flag blue hull and love it. Yeah it shows scratches but so what, I can wax it in 30 min and looks sick on the water. Would I get another dark boat… sure would. To me nothing looks better than a dark blue sporty which I have every intention on making my retirement home.

ravaganza.jpg
    i think the baitwell is considerably larger in back too eh?
    My Youtube Channel

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    The 2011 was around when I ordered my boat. The 2011 and mine were at the last Miami boat show together. I didn't feel it was worth the extra money. Its faster but speed means nothing to me.Its the same exact boat but stretched a little bit longer and not wider.The main reason Frank stretched his first one was for a tourney angler that wanted a larger motor.Interest sparked and Frank built a plug.Dark hull sides are more work for sure.You could change the hull side color with a good marine paint or gel cote it. There will be a 15k to 20k difference between the two boats once you sell yours and buy the new 2011. That buys allot of custom boat details.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    i think the baitwell is considerably larger in back too eh?

Either way you make some great points.. the 189 can go anywhere the 2011 can go.. bottom line.

I just hope they come out with a 175 SHO someday :)

The same size Merc on the 2011 as the SHO just blows the SHO away at a great savings in cash.
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    The 2011 is 4inches wider and 2 inches taller than the 189. It has a monsterous livewell.Can be run with unlimited HP.Runs great with a jackplate, has a pad. Same draft as 189, and rides better hands down.If i had a place to store one...i would have one.
    Ya I think the well is 60 gallons. THats a reason for me as I'm a big live bait guy.
    My Youtube Channel

All of the Egret models are great. Buy the one that fits YOUR budget and best suits YOUR fishing.
    JBLocal wrote: »
    The 2011 is 4inches wider and 2 inches taller than the 189. It has a monsterous livewell.Can be run with unlimited HP.Runs great with a jackplate, has a pad. Same draft as 189, and rides better hands down.If i had a place to store one...i would have one.

2 inches wider? come on man. Frank just made it longer. I have talked to him many times about this.If it was 2 inches wider that would make no sense.
    Please re read.....4 inches wider...not 2...and 2 inches taller outside gunnel heighth....why wouldnt it make any sense???????Its a much bigger boat,was designed to carry more HP on the back wich equates to more weight....which equates to widening the boat, more water displacement to be able to float the bigger motors/added weight..... The 2011 is totaly different boat with its own dedicated mold.Really thats the ony thing that would make sense to do.Ive been on, ran, and fished a few...believe me, what im saying is correct.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 953 Officer
    The advertised specs indicate a 3" wider beam for the 2011 compared to the 189 - not 4". But I can see how it would create confusion among some owners. I also spoke with Frank about it and had the clear impression based on that conversation it was just extended to be longer at the stern with a different cap design. Perhaps that was just the first prototype that was made. However, they are not advertising a 4" wider difference. It would be interesting to see a a few technical CAD drawings showing the actual height and width difference including the actual hull and cap based on the current molds.
    There are a few 20s in the keys. Im sure if you call Frank he will put you in touch with them to see, and sea trial one for yourself.Also im sure he will tell you what the correct measurements are, and when you do get a chance to see one in person you should bring a tape measure to verify your questions.Also, ive seen typos on just about every website i have ever been on.Your best bet would be to call him. All your questions would be answered.Once again.....the whole boat is different as far as riding surface and deck layout. Cockpit is the same dimensions. Im not sure about the console, but that is a mute point because he will build pretty much whatever type of consle that you would like to have.I think the rod lockers are the same except for the depth , but im not sure.Other than what i mentioned....its a completely different mold, molds etc....deck, cap, hull etc...

Do you really think he would just use the same mold ?? I personally know he wouldnt, and have seen all the different molds for the boat.Also, when Egret builds a hull mold, they dont use 2x4s for the frame to hold the mold (like other manufactures do.....you know them). It is a tubular steel frame that is very time comsuming and expensive to produce.Your typical 2x4 POS frame can only pop about 40 boats before you have to worry about hulls warping and such....where the way Egret does it....it can pop over 400 boats easy.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    Chris for the record I'm not saying that they are literally the same boat… I know there are people out there that think that.

What I’m saying that that for me the 20 as more or less the same features as the 18 just supersized. More size, more HP, more livewell, more speed. I duh know, maybe my thinking is off… maybe I expect the 20 to be something its not… a bay boat… just personally if I was going to pay storage on a boat I would want to have more unique or “big boat” features to set it apart from the 18. For me… live well, pads, unlimited HP wasn’t enough for me to pay storage on the boat and my 18 does everything that 20 will do in NE FL.
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    If I were still guiding full time, I would prefer the 2011 because of the increased fishing room and the forward livewell but the 189 does everything I need it to. The extra speed would be pretty fun though.
  • whit037whit037 Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I went from an 189 to a 2011 and I can tell you the 2011 is noticeably bigger once behind the wheel. From a glance, you would think there isn't much difference in size, ride, etc but I promise you that isn't true. Not to take anything away from the 189, but upgrading to the 2011 was worth every penny. Rides better, drafts the same or better than the 189, more room and storage, faster, better fuel economy, and I like having a fishbox/live well up front to be able to throw fish in w/out leaving the trolling motor. If garage storage isn't an issue then get the 2011!
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 953 Officer
    Does the 2011 really draft the same as the 18 at rest and run as shallow with the larger motor? No BS....
    I hear lots of crazy claims about draft on different boats including Egrets but often they are based on totally atypical assumptions like a 90 hp engine on an 18 or when two people are at the bow etc.
    If there is a 200 lb guy at the bow and one at the stern will this boat float in an honest 12" with the bigger engine and a decent tank of gas? How shallow can it run on plane?
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    2 inches wider? come on man. Frank just made it longer. I have talked to him many times about this.If it was 2 inches wider that would make no sense.

Okay so here is a pic of the 2011 & 189 side by side at the Miami boat show last year.If you think it's not bigger then i don't know what else to say the picture speaks for itself!
    Two totally different boats and they ride completely different i know i drove the 2011 worth the upgrade!
    Just look at the mass of the hull difference!

181718_189578967739684_100000627452580_509855_4649745_n.jpg
    The first 2011 was a stretched 189. Based on the specs I would say a new plug was made for the rest of them. Frank is a phone call away if you need clarification.

From the Egret website:

2011 Specifications
    LOA: 20'11"
    Beam: 7'8"
    Draft: 11"
    Fuel: 66 gallons
    Fiberglass weight: 1225 lbs
    Kevlar weight: 1100 lbs

18'9 Specifications
    LOA: 18'9"
    Beam: 7'5"
    Draft: 10-11"
    Fuel: 56 gallons
    Fiberglass weight: 950 lbs
    Kevlar weight: 825 lbs

167 Specifications
    LOA: 16'7"
    Beam: 7'3"
    Draft: 9"
    Fuel: 41 gallons
    Fiberglass weight: 800 lbs
    Kevlar weight: 700 lbs
  • jjchompjjchomp Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I have run both. The 2011 was russell's and the way he runs it I will never do. We headed out of haulover on an outgoing tide with an incoming 10-15knt wind. I kind of babied it running 25mph and the boat was fine. Gave the wheel to Russ and all of a sudden the boat is running flatter and we are doing 35-40mph. Frank says it's due to the pad the 2011 has. I don't know if my 189 will do this but not with me at the wheel. I know it sounds like I need someone to talk me out of it but I just got mine dialed in and really don't want to go through the issues again (etec).
    Keep your boat than. Sounds like your happy with what you got.I am very happy with my 18. The 2011 is a beast compared to the 189, the 2011 is more like a small bayboat that drafts shallow for its size and capabilities.As far as dialing it in....thats pretty easy.
    I agree keep it if you like it.
    I take my boat offshore frequently here in lauderdale/miami and my 18 rides better the faster you go.... that said of course I would love to have the 21. You can't go wrong with either! The 21's seem to be popping up pretty steadily in the keys.. and those guys bonefish almost daily.
    My Youtube Channel

• buttapollock1010buttapollock1010 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    If you are worried about setting up the boat. I'm sure some of your fellow Egret buddies will help you out! I would def talk to some of the 2011 owners and set it up similar to what works for them. Props are easy to test and should be setup based on your individual needs. Best of luck, i'm sure the 2011 is a beast similar to the very popular MA 21!