Tarpon Springs Offshore 6/24

I fish offshore a fair amount around Saint Pete but haven't really fished Tarpon Springs before. However, I had an invite to head out up there yesterday and couldn't pass it up. There were 4 of us and while the others know their way around a boat, I am the only one who fishes on a regular basis. I showed up at the docks at 6:30 with bait, tackle, and 0 knowledge of the area (or where we should fish) and off we headed in a 31 Scarab. We ran through isolated storms on the way out and throttled back at 120ft. We tolled/searched for bottom for hours with nothing to show. We eventually found some productive looking bottom and dropped. I hooked up and about 5 ft off the bottom it was inhaled by something big. The Goliath won...
Then a buddy hooked up and brought in a small aj. The entire ocean floor followed him up. We had 40 lb AJ's cruising around and 2 dozen XL Mangos and Lanes right under the boat. Some chunks of bait thrown in kept them there long enough to catch several before they attracted the attention of an oversized cuda. He had snapper for lunch...

When everything disappeared into the depths, I droped down a butterfly jig and found a few more AJ's to play with, which have since turned into fish spread (kidding, all swam away to fight again...).

The storms were building at this point so we headed in and made on stop on a semi-published spot in 75ft where we were rewarded with a limited on small but legal red grouper.

We were also lucky enough to pick up some good sized endangered gags which were all released.
I was a little disappointed that we didn't find any red snapper but the cooler was pleasantly crowded by the end of trip and it was an overall a good trip. I know the pics aren't great but they're better than nothing right...

Replies