Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Island Prep 2012

Replies

• KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 422 Deckhand
    Compleat- Thanks for the new Bahamathon thread. I look forward to your updates throughout the season.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Being in a "mood" does have a silver lining. I go faster harder and do a better job it seems when I'm mad at something... Went at that boats bottom like a buzz saw today. Sanding, scraping, priming and painting at a blistering pace... Got all the metal parts done. Every through hull inspected and coated... Even got a coat on all the vertical surfaces of the hull (from waterline down).
    Tomorrow I roll out the rest of the bottom and do all the touch ups I can. Inside the exhaust pipes looks particularly bad this year so the wire brush is being called in off the bench... I'm thinking compound and wax crew will be starting their stuff tomorrow as well. I hope so. They use a tall scaffold to hit the higher places and I have some caulk ing that could use a redo up there. I try to do it from on deck (getting to the back side of the rub rail) but not seeing what you're doing leads to boo boos that need fixing down the line like now.

Note to self: Wear respirator cause I'm sneezing blue and black right now... Not even down to primer yet so I'll be feeling my laziness for a while still...
    Another note to self: Wear a hat with somekind of padding... I look like a cartoon with all the lumps on my head from smackin it on running gear and the bottom itself...

Additional underwater lights should arrive Monday. I have seen and heard debates on all kinds of products and for me its to each his own. I have been very happy with my A-6 Ocean Led. We also have two of their T-3 lights illuminating the tower with so far no issues. We are adding two more A-3 on the transom just to even out our "look" instead of just one center... If I can get the boss to cool down some, might do one more center shining down...

Saturday may have some rain so I'm saving the inside stuff and engine room stuff for that scenario. After inspecting and doing a quick clean of the strainers the other day I decided to really ramp it up and do right while out of the water... Over heating something is not OK.
  • TNTTNT Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Hey Paul......Enjoying the read as always. Cant wait to see what you came up with regarding the circle hook stuff. Trying to figure out our plans here, buts it's a little different now that we have a 9 week old little girl. Trying to figure out how I can fish while the wife takes care of the baby. Most wives would be happy just hanging out at the pool at the hotel, but as you know, not my wife, Tammi. She would rather be on the boat catching the bills and would go stir crazy sitting at the pool while I was out fishing.
    By late May/ early June the baby will be a little more smoothed out... You'll figure it out... :)

Now if I could just get this schedule thing smoothed out I'd be feeling a whole lot less wound up and could get back on track focused.
    Today was more roll and cut and touch up... Bottom drinking quite a bit more paint than usual... I think cause its warmer than I usually roll in. Our yard bottom trip is always this time of year when its cool but this year warmer than other years for the same week at least the last couple days... Zincs on and tape off... Still a touch more touch up but most of the way there.
    Name is off the transom and waiting on compound and wax crew. The threatening skies this morn I think had them pull the plug on their end. Same with the underwater light man.
    Were still having scheduling issues along with some other stuff going on. The last two years I have spent way too much time sitting and waiting for people that don't show. As much as I love the islands that sitting is a waste of time and money. Business is business and pays the bills. Boss has to do what he has to do to kep em paid and that means fishing has to sometimes take a back seat... Pointless to send us over early if he can't get there til later in the season so we're trying to see when its practical to go.
    At any rate I keep pushing to get the boat ready for whenever that date may be...
    I was gonna go on strike til we figure out a schedule and what our season plan is. That lasted til about 8:30 when I couldn't stand not doing stuff any longer. So I went to work anyway... :) Cloudy morn allowed me to get on some interior projects and tightening up on storage... Disassembled all my strainers and did them properly. Grass growth in the lines had the flows restricted pretty heavy...
    My owner years back fell in love with "mezanine" type seating in the pit. We're not set up for that but we did the next best thing. Built cushions to go across the back over the freezer, tackle center and engine room access. We opted to go velcro for attachment and today was time to replace that. Quick tip: Let goo gone do the work on getting the old glue off. In order to work let it set for several minutes before scraping it off. The longer it sets (without starting to dry) the better...
    While that was under way... I changed the filters on the water maker. Another quickie was to remove the probe that tests the salinity of finished product and clean it. Otherwise it gives a false read of the water quality being produced. On way out of engine room changed a fuel burn sensor that is coding overload when we are running where we should be. Shot some primer and paint up our exhaust pipes and then decided a half day of going on strike might not be such a bad thing... :)
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Hey Paul,
    I haven't checked in here in a while; great to see you back at it.
    I'm sure your thread will bring more people back to FS. Hope you get your schedule sorted out. What's up with Dragonbait?
    How do you mean??? Ray seems just fine to me... Not a lot of fishing that side yet... On the one thread hes a bit grumpy about the hard work we all pit in writing getting poofed lasy year during the site melt down...
    I guess I expected him to chime in here to give you a hard time about something...yea, I am just thrilled about the old stuff lost in space and being called a junior member...
    Oh thats all a game... Few people on the water I have as much respect for as him... We play the live bait / dead bait or termite chow vs tupperware boat games for fun. Never a "mean" dig in any of it tho. Ray is the best kind of people.
    Today I have a little stuff i want to do to the boat. Then i'm gonna branch off and go to the range. Gonna run a few rounds at some paper to make sure they go bang like they should and that they go where I send em. Another thing that will get done there relates to this thread. We tote a hand gun (.45) and rifle (.223) to the islands. They are both semi automatics and something that semis have in common is being sensitive to ammo quality for cycling purposes.
    When Iget done shooting. I clean the guns in full take down mode so they are all the way right. Next sounds silly but I will cycle all the rounds i plan on carrying to the islands. Some of the ammo I have has been aboard before. I inspect each round to make salt air hasn't dulled the cases or made them an issue to chamber. I also have some new ammo from that big big chain store that in the past has resulted in a normally good brand not being up to snuff. In particular the .45 from the "white box" has in the past hung up bad so I want to make sure I have no question marks in any round. A hang up or misfire at the wrong time is not a good thing.
    I have toted a piece or two for decades. Never "had" to call on it, thank goodness but like the life raft i feel better having it there on that outside possibility. Weapons over there are to be locked away and most importantly declared on entry. I know some that don't do the paperwork properly and I can not in any way condone that. It takes just a few extra seconds to declare the weapons and ammo stocks. Do it! I hear the food at Fox Hill sucks!
    This is why I take the time to chamber all my rounds that I will bring. I knew there were questionables in my pile of bullets but had been shuffled around in different trays at the range. These ones are the bad ones... They are so tight in the chamber that sometimes it doesn't close or if it does they will only extract if I either fire them or take the whole gun apart which I do not like doing when its "loaded" .
    01023.JPG
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 11,243 AG
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    Hey Paul,
    I haven't checked in here in a while; great to see you back at it.
    I'm sure your thread will bring more people back to FS. Hope you get your schedule sorted out. What's up with Dragonbait?

still around, just not as much,just dont like all the clicking to get around .......... can we have a few more sub sections maybe 1 for rum drinking and one for live baiting v trolling
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Compleat wrote: »
    Gary
    I run notebooks on top of note books... I keep them for mechanical, electrical, electronics, cosmetics, detailed fishing inshore, detailed fishing offshore, tackle notes, rig notes, what spreads in what conditions at what rpm work best, even books on the food we carry what goes quickest and what barely gets used at all. For now, I'm going to just outline stuff as I go and kind of bounce around...

Thanks....... I figured that you HAD to have it all organized. Just today, I ran across my "What works well in Grand Cay" notes from my first trip there two years ago.

"Goo Gone"!! A GREAT product! :hail
    Today I did my secret trick on the bottom that everone knows about... My school of ballyhoos got a little added something in the paint that reportedly catches and reflects light a little better... Think it might "brighten" em up a bit but not sure about anti fouling properties... I did a test of it on the 31 over the last few weeks and didn't seem to grow grass any more than the bare glass did.
    For those that don't have a clue what I'm talking about I paint a school of ballyhoos on the bottom. Pics are in the camera and sorry but I left it back on the boat but will get the shots up when I can. The idea being that we break up the monotony of a flat blue bottom if nothing else... I am a firm believer that they help...
    While I did that we started our mega polish and wax thing. Yeah it looks nice and thats why the boss man likes it done... I however like it for the practicality of it. That real nice finish repells dirt and water a whole lot better than bare gelcoat. Much easier to clean and in the islands where water is expensive it makes a huge difference in how much we use. Even though we make much of what we use that still runs up the elctric bill. Out of the tap its about a half buck per gallon which adds up on a machine that the boss man wants to sparkle 24/7...
    Properly done this job lasts usually til September on the top side and makes just about the full year on the hull sides. Using orpine with wax helps stretch the length of time it lasts. One of the few places I go to top dollar cleaner.
    still around, just not as much,just dont like all the clicking to get around .......... can we have a few more sub sections maybe 1 for rum drinking and one for live baiting v trolling
    Yea, I remember the debate on the subject of live baiting. I'd say you and Paul ought to have AIS transponders so we can watch you and Compleat do a live baiting/trolling death dance around each other.
    By the way, we holed up at the yard a couple times; the captains lounge & pool are fantastic. How's Savannah doing & when are you heading over to Chub?
    There is no debate... At Chub if its behind me its dead... :)

At any rate... Today was a whole lot of more shine... I wasn't feeling so good. Twisted something in my abdomen from all the weird angles under the boat or under the hatches recently. So, I didn't push my luck. Instead it was a good time to store my excess cleaners and painting supplies over at our store room. While there it was a golden oportunity to sort through all my stuff to see what I have forgot to put on the big boat.
    Next it was time to do new wind ons on the 4 x Tiagra 50w, 2 x penn 70, and 2 x tiagra 80w that will join us. For the most part we use 30 and 30w outfits for the combo or dead baits. The heavies get brought in when dragging the big lures. We do have a set of 130 sticks but they'll get another season of sleep.
    Got home to find the email box full of good stuff from the owner. Schedule thing easing up some and back looking like the mid departure date of around March 1 might be a go. That way we catch that moon. Most places I go, I really don't give a hoot about the moon but at Chub thirty odd years of notes clearly says the rise of it has been better than the fall or the bottom. Not saying that we havn't caught fish every day of the moon phases through the years but that rise or top is better for the most part.
    As the boat is gonna be crowded with waxers, sign men, light installers, canvas guys, etc over the next couple days I may head back to the store room and start prepping our tender "kit". Anchor, dock lines, pfds, signal kit, whistle, flashlights, clamp on running light, mini tackle box with inshore goodies, mini drink cooler to go in bigger cooler.... This year we are leaving the inflatable at the room. We are going with a hard one. My mate spears and fishes a lot and between hooks, spines, spears and other sharp stuff he poked like five holes in the puff up last year. He sometimes goes past dark and chums for snapper species. Though targeting tails or cubera, sharks don't read the game plan and an investigational nibble on the raft could make a night go real bad real quick.
    Night time again... Its at this stage of a yard trip that I start to resent night. I can't keep moving forward to that finish line... Boat is shiny bottom looks sharp. I can taste it but still a lot to finish up before she gets splashed...
    Wheels as I mentioned before are out getting done right. Computer readout confirms what I already knew. The last guy(s) to work on em did a really amateurish junk job. Like somebody started em and somebody stepped in who has never worked on a prop before finished...I know I have had in the past when done right some 28 knot cruise dream wheels. This set was 24.5 knots and the one was so bad with cavitation I couldn't even stay at that cruise in a chop. I hope this guy gets em like that real good set up I had...
    paul call me, i.e. info
    Had to happen... all things come together like a well oiled machine. Buffing near done. Name back on. Underwater light man in place and wheels show up. Smooth as butter til i read the wheel spec sheet... :(
    They went the wrong way with my pitch... I had explained it to them very clearly that last year my guy had taken out some pitch cause the engines were struggling. I had given up over two knots and was cavitating. Cavitation part was simple... Vikings require #5 cup or more. The guys last year took out almost all of it. They had also taken out over a half inch of pitch.
    We had the engine turbos and coolers done so now we have happy engines. Please put the pitch back in... Well they went the other way and took even more out... Uggg... Somehow in translation they thought I wanted more rpm and that the engines were getting tired... Nope... Other way guys... Want my rpm down and speed back. Prop shop very accomodating and putting pitch back in at no additional charge. Just sucks having to do extra work cause somebody didn't communicate clearly... Oh well.
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    Yea, I remember the debate on the subject of live baiting. I'd say you and Paul ought to have AIS transponders so we can watch you and Compleat do a live baiting/trolling death dance around each other.
    By the way, we holed up at the yard a couple times; the captains lounge & pool are fantastic. How's Savannah doing & when are you heading over to Chub?

been to chub twice this year headed back in 10 days.......glad you liked the yard, i like keeping the boat there ;)
    Sorry about being late with the hoo shots... Been busy...
    The first shot is our template for vertical surfaces like the keel or sides...
    00122.JPG

This next shot us the template we use on the horizontal surfaces (Flat bottom). The reason for two templates is from under looking up it wouldn't be natural to see side silouhettes. You would just see curved "things". We do some facing one way and a couple facing the other which looks more real than all going one direction.
    00225.JPG

From a distance you can see the light they gather and reflect...
    00322.JPG
    As mentioned we redid the name due to old one being tore up from bills and other abuses... New one here glowin and all that other stuff you see.... Thats SHINE! :)
    00423.JPG
    Been a while since I was too sick to work. Gave it my best shot tho...Got a little fever, chills, and whole body feels like the boat fell off the blocks on me. Oh well, nothing a little couch time and soup cant fix.
    Rain slowed us down on some stuff but plodding right along. Underwater lights going on and props should be back with proper pitch before days end. Wax crew couldn't finish but not much left to do there... Havn't heard from canvas man which right now is fine. I really don't want new ez2cy to deal with yard grit on its first day of being back on.
    After launching I plan to test run wheels and my guess is they should be perfect with the new numbers i gave them...
    Stuff her back in her slip and get to cleanin and getting ready for boss who decided he's not quite done with local season. Might get him to use 31 so we don't mess with "perfect" 43... Adding ten hours to my oil doesn't seem like much but each minute counts on these long runs... Kinda an irritation considering I mothballed the local gear and now have to dig it back out and wipe out all the storage lubes and corrosion blocks I put on to preserve for months of disuse. Hey though... All part of being a boat driver... :)
    hey paul that is a mighty fancy label ............................for a clorox jug :)

hope you get well soon
    Splinter free environment... :)
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,648 Captain
    compleat, who flies from south florida to Chub? What private charters? Thanks
    we use sun air for 1or 2 seats, and http://www.goldaviation.com/ for charters
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,648 Captain
    we use sun air for 1or 2 seats, and http://www.goldaviation.com/ for charters

thanks ray.
    Havn't heard of sun air... Gotta look em up. We used gulfstream out of the back side of Ft. Lauderdale for seat flights, Island air from the same base for charters and a few different ones from Nassau...
    Wheels back and pitched right, wax about done. Had to change up on the underwater lights over to another brand/ model. The ones we wanted were shipped in wrong color and none available in correct one. Would take several extra days yo get so we put another brand at least for now.
    Guess i'm ready to splash. Flu still had a grip so I'll delay a splash til tomorrow... Still plenty of time to get it all good before owner arrives mid /late week...