Elbow tackle questions and looking for recommendations

First off let me say I'm not a novice or new to offshore fishing, I have been fishing the Big Bend area and MG's for some odd years now, have been 100 miles out and have caught a list of different reef species.

I'm planning on trying the Elbow acouple times this year in the 175 to 250ft. mark, after reading reports and seeing pics like the recent Warsaw pic in the Florida Sport Fishing mag, is starting to make me rethink my bottum fishing rig and set-up.

My usual set-up is a Shimano Tekota 700 on a 50# class rod spooled with 60# ande with 80 to 100# leader. I have other bottum combo's but this is my favorite along with acouple heavy jigging combo's. I also have a TLD 30A II speed spooled with 80# braid on a 50# class rod and 2 TLD LRSA 50 II speeds spooled with 80# mono on 80 to 100# class bent butt rods with roller guides.

I'm not a fan of electric reels cause it just doesn't seem sporting to me but I'm sure after acouple of times of reeling up 250ft. I would be wishing I had one, for now I stick with what I have.

I was thinking of using the 30A and 50's since they have the II speed gears, so I guess my question is should I beef up to these combo's and also beef up my leader and hook, and instead of tieing my knots should I go to crimps with heavy leader.
Thanks for your recommendations.
Art

Replies

• GulfWarriorGulfWarrior Posts: 141 Officer
    May I ask is there a space consideration on the boat? If not, I would take a 30-40# set-up, 50-60# set-up and an 80-100# set-up as a minimum for the 'bow. Also consider taking a Medium/heavy spinning set-up in case any Mahi or Cobia make a showing.

If there is a space consideration, I'd go with the 30A. It will give you the option of high gear speed for smaller fish and you can drop down to Grandma for anything big that takes the bait.

With regards to hooks and leader, I like 8/0 Owner 2x Gorillas for out there on 80-100 Fluro. Crimping? Well you can or you can tie, a 100% knot is as strong as a crimp after all it's the line that's going to break at 100# not the knot or crimp. big issue out there is going to be the current. If you are going at full moon phase, be prepared to drop some serious lead. If you can afford it (leads gotten so **** expensive now)... use a break-away set-up with a rubber band.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    That depth is deep but not too deep. Regular set-ups will work for the most part. For the larger fish I would suggest getting a 6/0 spooled with 100 main line. You will start seeing the Saws in depths of 300 but more in 400-600 ft depths, so if the Elbow is your target area I would not spend too much effort rigging for them.
    The Elbow is the best and worst place to fish IMO. You can be a hero or a zero depending on the time of year you are out there. There are big Carbo's and Cubera's out there on those big peaks but the spear-fisherman out there usually keep them in check.
    If you are going to go out there and have the boat and means to, go during the full moon phase and anchor overnight on one of the larger peaks out there. This time of year there will be Muttons, Yellow-tails, Ars and some monster Mangos on those during the moon. Chum the heck out of them and don't be afraid to fish smaller rigs with little or no lead back in the chumslick.
    When the sun come up, concentrate your efforts east of the Elbow about 10 miles or so right on the 84 line west to an 84"08 to find your Scamp and your Red Grouper.

Rigs- Never crimp as it has no advantage. There is no need to go any heavier on your leader than 125 which you can tie with little problems.
    Hooks- Don't match your hooks to the fish you are after, match them to the baits you are using. (i.e.- Larger live baits 9/0-10/0 circles)

Hope this helps you out, good luck out there and be careful...
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    Wow, great info you provided, thanks Fin.
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    wow, steve, that post reminds me of what this forum used to be like. wise old vets sharing info. thanks.

i wouldn't change a thing that steve said.
  • Rod FatherRod Father Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Thank you, really appreciate the info.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,405 Officer
    [time of year there will be Muttons, Yellow-tails, Ars and some monster Mangos on those during the moon. Chum the heck out of them and don't be afraid to fish smaller rigs with little or no lead back in the chumslick.
    When the sun come up, concentrate your efforts east of the Elbow about 10 miles or so right on the 84 line west to an 84"08 to find your Scamp and your Red Grouper.
    /QUOTE]
    Man that sounds fun.. That would be a great trip!
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    crossbones wrote: »
    wow, steve, that post reminds me of what this forum used to be like. wise old vets sharing info. thanks.
    Wise Old vet??????
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • electricblueelectricblue Posts: 71 Deckhand
    crossbones wrote: »

i wouldn't change a thing that steve said.

X2.
  • TwentyFourSevenTwentyFourSeven Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Everything Steve said was good. **** can the circle hooks.
    SANY0201-1.jpg
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    Wise Old vet??????

LOL, I was thinkin' the same thing, Dang, he just aged Capt. Steve 20 years.
  • bearohsbearohs Posts: 166 Officer
    never had the chance to fish that far out. but one can only say you can never have too much bait right?
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    bearohs wrote: »
    never had the chance to fish that far out. but one can only say you can never have too much bait right?

Always better too much than not enough.

Steve gave some good info and I'll add something regarding your equipment. Make sure your first aid kit is stocked, safety gear is in good order and you have some redundancy in your electronics. Buddy boat if you can and file a float plan. You're a pretty good poke out there and there's no Jiffy Lube, Etec dealer or Walgreen's if you need something.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln