old senators an braid

i was told by a few people that the old senators cant use braid is this true? i have a 1/0 that i shark fish once in a while and i want to spool it with 30lb braid but i dont want to do it if its not good for the reel. i was told the spool can pop apart or some thing under pressure. any one know about this. i also have a 6/0 and a 9/0 i wanna spool with braid.
ted.gif
ted.gif

Replies

• wrightacklewrightackle Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Some very old senators have spools that were not one piece chrome over brass. The sides were pressed onto the spindle. These spools would fail with mono. I know you said 1/0 in your post but I am guessing you meant to say 10/0. A 1/0 is a tiny reel. If that is what you are using for small sharks I would not worry about using braid. Since braid doesn't have the stretch of mono it will exert far less pressue on the sides of the spool. Just make sure the braid is anchored on the spool by going around the spool spindle twice and making sure that the spool post is holding tne knot. Otherwise the entire mass of braid will just spin on the spool under pressure.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,107 Captain
    Braid won't hurt any of the old senators a bit... The trouble you'll have will come from another direction. The tolerances between spool and frame on those reels is much more generous than current reels on the market and braid is very well known for it's small diameter.... Any backlash will have you in "reel trouble" since line is very likely to get in under the spool (and you'll be needing a screwdriver to get things sorted out...). If you're careful you can use braid on those reels but the slightest mistake in reel handling will have you talking to yourself (at least that's what I do when one of my bright ideas gets me up a creek...). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Some very old senators have spools that were not one piece chrome over brass. The sides were pressed onto the spindle. These spools would fail with mono. I know you said 1/0 in your post but I am guessing you meant to say 10/0. A 1/0 is a tiny reel. If that is what you are using for small sharks I would not worry about using braid. Since braid doesn't have the stretch of mono it will exert far less pressue on the sides of the spool. Just make sure the braid is anchored on the spool by going around the spool spindle twice and making sure that the spool post is holding tne knot. Otherwise the entire mass of braid will just spin on the spool under pressure.

no i ment to say 1/0. im trying to build up the senator collection and this is the only 1/0 i have seen in decent shape. id like to get a 10/0 tho.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif