Looking for a rod-builder in SW florida

My brother and i want two identical rods made for accurate bx600 blue water camo reels. I also ned helP deciding on which blank to choose from. I want a shorter rod able to catch a big black grouper but also light enough to fish with for more than a couple drops. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 726 Officer
    Hi Alex, there are a number of builders in SW florida who are well qualified for that build or are you looking to build the rod yourself?
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • STRiZSTRiZ Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Calstar GF700M or MH on 7' and for 8' GF800M or H could be a nice fit.
  • Alex GAlex G Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I have asked every local tackle shop for a rod builder and they only build inshore stuff. I want a shorter rod like 6-7 ft. I would also lke is to be spiral wrapped and match the accurates design.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Sounds like your looking for a little revenge down in the tugas. There are a few stud blacks swimming around with sone new jewelry in thier lips. Good luck getting the rod built. You should post a pic when it's finished.
    Hey hows it going Dudley? Ill definetely post some pics if i could find someone to build it, so far the trails gone cold.
  • scHAkscHAk Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Alex G wrote: »
    I have asked every local tackle shop for a rod builder and they only build inshore stuff. I want a shorter rod like 6-7 ft. I would also lke is to be spiral wrapped and match the accurates design.

As Striz recommended, people tend to prefer grouper rods at a minimum of 7' with the majority I build being 8', which goes against the theory of a shorter rod = less leverage the fish has on you. I build a lot of grouper rods (not professionally) and you have the right idea about leverage, what you aren't considering is that rods bend. A slow to moderate action 8' rod will be equal in length to a moderate/fast action 6' rod as shown in my professional drawing,

rodbend-1.jpg

As the rods bend not only does their leverage become equal, but an 8' slow action rod will load (bend) more than a 6' fast action. The deeper a rod loads, more energy is stored in the rod and more pressure is put on the fish over your pulling power as the rod is trying to return to straight. In other words, if you strapped a reel on a 6' broomstick, the rod would not store any energy because it would remain straight. It would be how hard you can pull vs. how hard the fish can pull.

The obvious solution of getting a 6' slow action rod would create problems as the rod would begin to bend through the handle and create a break point where you hold the foregrip.
    I understand this and have several custom 8ft grouper rods, bub they are just too heavy. That is why i want a shorter, lighter rod. Those solid glass rods weigh a ton and im a little guy at that.
  • fieromanfieroman Posts: 230 Officer
    i know charlie block builds some custom rods, i think master bait and tackle in bonita uses him still for all of their repairs. i used to have his number but i can not seem to find it. he normally is at the fl sportsman show every year. i have one rod he redid for me and it is beautiful.