Tiger Holo wrap colors

I am a bit confused on which of the three colors of threads used on a holo wrap determine the overall color. Is it true that the third top thread creates the dominant color? If the bottom threads are supposed to be contrasting colors, then what is the color that you see when the wrap is done? What do you guys think the best colors to use are and what are some colors to avoid. I am thinking of doing a blue or green colored wrap.

Replies

• reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    You get the movement & contrast with the bottom wrap and the color with the top thread.
    Remember to use 2 contrasting colors for your base wrap (ie, black & white), burnish and give it a couple of coats of finish. Then wrap your top thread with a pull out thread in the opposite direction & burnish it again before removing the pull out.

So if you want a blue wrap, I would use black & white on the bottom with blue as the top thread. The same goes if you want a green wrap.

The neat thing with this wrap is experimenting with colors, tensions, and burnishing techniques. You'll never duplicate one and they're generally all pretty cool looking.
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    With the white should I use NCP white? I only have nylon white right now. Can I use CP before the finish?
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    Do metallics have any effect?
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    If you only have regular white nylon, then you'll need to use CP or it'll turn transparent and you'll see the blank not the thread. Give it a couple of coats and let it dry before you apply your finish.

I use metallics a lot on my base wraps. Metallic black & silver makes for a great contrast and adds some shine to the wrap.
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Exactly what matt said. I often use metallic silver and black nylon underneath, and color of preference on top.

If you want an interesting blue with a hint of both green and yellow, wrap black/yellow on the bottom.

For a more subtle tiger, your contrast ration will be lower: example, light gray/black will still make a tiger, but a very very subtle one. Honestly the only way to figure out what its gonna look like is to do a test wrap.