Bennett Trim Tab question

ReelyblessReelybless Posts: 6 Greenhorn
I'm rewiring the boat console and would like to use a new switch panel that has the Carling V-series contura rocker switches to control my tabs. These momentary switches are rated for 20 amps...will there be any problems created by using these switches in place of the original Bennett Lockout Rocker Switch?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Reelybless,

As long as they are double pole / double throw switches (20 amp is good) and you wire them the same way as the original switch they will work. The one thing the lockout switches do is prevent the fuse from blowing if you push one tab down at the same time you push the other one up. The new switches will of course not do this, but as long as you remember not to do that it will not be a problem.

Personally I like the Trim Tab switches to be a different type than the rest so I can identify them by feel and not have to look down to identify them to operate them on the fly.

Here is the wiring for the switches so you can see where they are jumped with brass straps, you can do the same thing with wire jumpers on your new switches.

Tom
    Bennett Marine

rs.jpg
  • ReelyblessReelybless Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Tom,

Thanks for the lightning fast response! I did think about the issue with actuating the switches in different directions and blowing a fuse; I will use a circuit breaker. Good point about the different switch for the Trim Tab switch, but I'm limited on space, so forced to use these switches. Your comment did make me aware of the orientation issue, so I'll mount them in the port position to hopefully help me.

So if I'm reading this correctly, I need to build jumpers on/or between the switches to do the following:

Red - Actuates the Port valve...need to jumper the port switch so that valve opens in either extend or retract.

Green - Actuates the Starboard valve...need to jumper the starboard switch so that valve opens in either extend or retract.

Blue - Pump pressure - need to jumper between port and starboard switch so the pump builds pressure whenever the "Bow Down" (Port or Starboard) switches are applied.

Yellow - Pump retract - need to jumper between port and starboard switch so the pump relieves pressure whenever the "Bow Up" (Port or Starboard) switches are applied.

Thanks so much for your expertise!

Reelybess
    Reelybess,

Yes you wrote what you have to do perfectly! I think you know that you also need to jump all the terminals for the power feed across the middle.

I am glad I could help. Let me know how it goes.

Tom
    Bennett Marine
  • ReelyblessReelybless Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Tabman,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back with you, but family things and working prevented me from working on the console and rewiring the boat. I was finally able to finish and took the boat out yesterday (Sunday). Your advice was spot-on and the tabs worked great! Again, thanks for your help...you're a definite asset to the forum!

Reelybless
    Reelybless,

Thanks for the kind words. I am delighted we could help. Happy to hear you are out on the boat again!

Tom
    Bennett Marine