Home Off Topic

Birth of Stickman

GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,904 Admin
Anyone remember the origin? For those that don't, back in the day we held a competition for a Forum logo. We had submittals from professional designers, artists and members. JayG submitted a comical stick figure and became the overwhelming favorite. Didnt think much about it at the time until the first FS Bash at Pine Key held in 2001. We arrived for the festivities and watching people roll in when Docked Wages rolled up with a soap drawing on the rear glass of his vehicle "Keys Bash or Bust! that included a recreation of Jay's Stickman. That's when we decided we needed to get Stickman made intio an appliqué.

JayG agreed that we do that and all proceeds would go to charity. Over the years thousands of Stickmen were sold, believe it or not, around the globe and in almost every state.:hail
The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz

Replies

• The really funny part was that Eric kept deleting posts praising it as the best logo as well as the voting for Stickman in the thread in General. He kept taking them down and we kept putting them back up. He got really mad. It was pretty funny.

He wanted something more "serious" and thought that we weren't. He selected the "sailfish in the monitor" logo which made it onto the Keys Bash 2002 T-shirts.

Stickman was the unofficial logo of the Forum since that time, much to Eric's continued chagrin until a few years ago when it was commandeered, much to Jay's chagrin, to be used on official FS T- shirts.

Never a dull moment or drama less event, 'round hea. :grin
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    The nigerian is classic. I remember the story.
    Jay, shoulda copy righted it. Haha
  • Where the heck is he now? Hope he didn't fall off his bike:backpeddling
    I need to get a white one for my new vehicle.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,922 Admiral
    The really funny part was that Eric kept deleting posts praising it as the best logo as well as the voting for Stickman in the thread in General. He kept taking them down and we kept putting them back up. He got really mad. It was pretty funny.

He wanted something more "serious" and thought that we weren't. He selected the "sailfish in the monitor" logo which made it onto the Keys Bash 2002 T-shirts.

Stickman was the unofficial logo of the Forum since that time, much to Eric's continued chagrin until a few years ago when it was commandeered, much to Jay's chagrin, to be used on official FS T- shirts.

Never a dull moment or drama less event, 'round hea. :grin

Whatever we did or didnt do was supposed to be confidential...says a lot for your honor and respect for your peers.

You're definitely much to my continued chagrin.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Where the heck is he now? Hope he didn't fall off his bike:backpeddling

A white Nigerian or a stickman???
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Funny thing is I have a black stickman on it, ya just can't see it because of the tint.
    That Captain McGillicuty thread was hilarious.

It wasn't Jay who did it.

Some of it here:
    http://www.orangemane.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-13879.html
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Whatever we did or didnt do was supposed to be confidential...says a lot for your honor and respect for your peers.

he doesn't consider you a peer. :)
    I have one on each truck and need another for the caddy. I don't like bumper or windows stickers at all but I put the stickman on.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • The Stickman thing was before we even had moderators. The Jay thing was after I resigned. It's still very funny.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,124 Captain
    Where the heck is he now? Hope he didn't fall off his bike:backpeddling

Jay has been on hiatus before. Last time he was gone well over a year.
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,904 Admin
    Cane Pole wrote: »

Come on Eric. Gary hasn't stated anything that was well known. I thought we should have embraced Stickman long before we did.

The Stickman thing was before we even had moderators. The Jay thing was after I resigned. It's still very funny.

Was it 2001, or 2002? I thought the former. I thought it was the same year we had mods.

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Probably 2002. I bought the boat in September 2001 and joined soon after that. And I remember the start of it all, so it was either very late 2001 or 2002.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Funny thing is I have a black stickman on it, ya just can't see it because of the tint.
    That Captain McGillicuty thread was hilarious.

It wasn't Jay who did it.

Some of it here:
    http://www.orangemane.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-13879.html

It was Tom, NSB Photog who did the Captain Chester McGillicuddy post

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    Who named him Stickman?
    Mark O. wrote: »
    Who named him Stickman?

I think that's how he started out. Everyone referred to him as Stickman. Don't think Jay did at the start.

• CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

• spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Stickman is one of the few elements of the forum that has never let let us down :beer
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
    He selected the "sailfish in the monitor" logo which made it onto the Keys Bash 2002 T-shirts.

Gary...I'm smart enough, and respectful enough, to know not to pick an argument with you, but I really don't think that's a sailfish :grin
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
    I need a new stickman!!!!

I've got a few left. If you want to send me a self addressed, stamped envelope I'll send you one as long as you promise to donate $5 to a charity. PM me for my address.

• wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    I remember the start of it, but I wasn't a member yet if I recall. I joined late 2001 and I think it happened before I joined.
    That thread by NSB was one of the best all time.
    spinfreak wrote: »
    Gary...I'm smart enough, and respectful enough, to know not to pick an argument with you, but I really don't think that's a sailfish :grin

:rotflmao

Stickman is one of the few elements of the forum that has never let let us down :beer

You're too generous.:rolleyes

Griz wrote: »
    I've got a few left. If you want to send me a self addressed, stamped envelope I'll send you one as long as you promise to donate $5 to a charity. PM me for my address.

I need 2 in white if you have them.
    Any specific charity? I know Jay usually picked one at a given time when he felt like sending the monies in.
    If not, I will donate to American Cancer Society or find something for abused children.
    You're too generous.:rolleyes

Hey now...I said a few...didn't say everything else let us down. And I'm still here, so not everything has been bad :grin
    wizfisher wrote: »
    I need 2 in white if you have them.
    Any specific charity? I know Jay usually picked one at a given time when he felt like sending the monies in.
    If not, I will donate to American Cancer Society or find something for abused children.

You can send the money to Jay as far as I'm concerned since I know it will go to a worthy charity.

Hey now...I said a few...didn't say everything else let us down. And I'm still here, so not everything has been bad :grin

I know. We've all weathered a lot in the last two years. If nothing else, seeing the old familiar faces makes it worth the heat.

:beer
    You can send the money to Jay as far as I'm concerned since I know it will go to a worthy charity.
    If you've got his address, I will send it to him. I know he always donated the money. I think I sent him money a couple of times already, lol
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    It was Tom, NSB Photog who did the Captain Chester McGillicuddy post

Without a doubt THE FUNNIEST thread FS has ever seen.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM