Home Off Topic

Plastic radiator repair

2»

Replies

• hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Good to know madpoodle. Thx
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
    Plastic has no business in the cooling system. Such cheap crap they make now
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    My plastic welding gun. You can get a cheaper one that hooks to an air compressor.
    WP_000702.jpg
    You can get a few sticks of different plastics too but I think the plastic is a nylon like marine marelon.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    Epoxy doesn't stick to the kind of plastic used for the mixing cups...so if radiators are made of a similar plastic, the epoxy would pop right off.

I'd look to see if there was a TSB or maybe a recall. If if happened to you maybe it happened to enough other people that there was a recall ?? The plastic manifolds on Crown Vics tended to crack...Ford replaced them with metal ones under a recall
    Tater the plastic welder is probably my next step mainly because the engine bay is a nightmare on these trucks. It would be a serious pain to replace the radiator
    Thanks everyone for the ideas
    Tatoe, is that an electric heating welder?

I know they have UV and other types as well
    hebegb wrote: »
    Tatoe, is that an electric heating welder?

I know they have UV and other types as well
    Yes. It's an electric heater with a fan. Ultrasonic is the other common kind that as well as microwave. I have one of the ones with the heater that hooks to the air compressor too but I use this one in my garage shop without a compressor.
    It's hand for all sorts of crap. The problem is you still need additional plastic because the air blows the plastic away leaving a bigger gap.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    On my truck it was not as bad as it looks. 06 F350, bout an hour and a half....
    Water rat

• rceggrcegg Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Pull the radiator out and have someone replace both tanks.or you can replace them yourself. It is not hard to do
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    I dont think its the heat thats going to affect your 5200 its constant pressure.
    Pulled a 16 ft steel livestock trailer with a steer an 4 butcher pigs today. 1.5 hrs each way to the butcher and didnt lose a drip. Appears to be holding but well have to see for how long
  • Ramblin' ReckRamblin' Reck Posts: 2,701 Officer
    Made it three blocks to a local radiator shop. They could help. They did a pressure test to determine the exact problem. Now get this. They took the van behind closed doors. Now, when you take a 40 psi radiator, and pump it up to 900 psi, something is going to give! I was patient. But I knew. Two hours later, they finished the estimate. I was triple teamed. The mechanic, the smooth talking, computer aided salesman, and the grizzled ol' manager, certainly a retiree from the 103rd Infantry. All were professionally trained, skilled, chilled salesmen. Four leaks. The plastic radiator (he had me a deal at $395, normally $535). The water pump. Some heater valve. One hose had oil residue from the antifreeze leak which would certainly cause drastic implosion. And if I didn't do it now, I would have to replace the heater coils before next winter. $1329.

I had a four hour drive back to my business. They could guarantee no schedule. Perhaps four hours to complete. No promise. Yet, they would charge more than nine hours for labor. According to the computerized book schedule. My simple mind could not compute. Over $600 for labor! The fight ensued. I walked two blocks to a curb store. Bought three gallons of drinking water @ $1.29 each. Revisited the shop. They had reconsidered. Got the total down to $1,188.49 (I have the paperwork). Grabbed the key. Found an auto parts store on Liberty. Bought a bottle of Bar's "Stop Leak" for $3.67. It worked. I recommend it. Highly.

Sayin... :driver
    AuthorHouse.com

Walk.gif
    That's some good stuff ain't it.
    Good lord reck......90 psi
    hebegb wrote: »
    Good lord reck......90 psi
    I want to see their air compressor that does 900.
    Not from up close!

I hate like he'll when I gotta screw with steam lines above 400 psi
    Or diesel injection pumps. Or HPDI pumps. 700-15,000PSI.
    Pssssssssssssssst
    Leaks from them won't hurt quite as bad as 450 degree steam either!
    It'll cut your arm off. But I'd rather have a fuel pressure cut than burning steam.
    cnc%2Bwater%2Bcutting.jpg
  • Ramblin' ReckRamblin' Reck Posts: 2,701 Officer
    I could be wrong. It could have been 9,000 psi. I just know, when they closed that door on my van, they were gonna' make that sob leak. But, they were messin' with the main man. I saw 'em coming. I could have bought their store, or a new van at that time. I just couldn't stand to be skint! They knew they had lost the deal when they saw the three gallons of water. It shut their arz up, too. I heard a muffler mechanic in the background say "country boy".

That's prolly all I should say 'bout that. I need to protect my identity.

Sayin... :driver
    AuthorHouse.com

Walk.gif
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    CaptTater wrote: »
    It'll cut your arm off. But I'd rather have a fuel pressure cut than burning steam.
    cnc%2Bwater%2Bcutting.jpg

Toss up. Diesel fuel from a HP injector in your skin/blood not good....
    Water rat

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    CaptTater wrote: »
    I want to see their air compressor that does 900.

Or one scuba tank.
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    http://www.plast-aid.com/

If this don't hold, nothing will.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj