Home Off Topic

Always on the Weekends

AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
It seems that whenever something bad happens, it's always on the weekends. Kids, dogs, adults. So, the weekend just started and in this case, it was not a "hold my beer and watch this" issue.

The dogs were playing and doing some wrestling I guess. Next thing I heard, a big yelp, the kind when you know something is wrong. I went to check and my older guy was in pain and wouldn't walk on his left front leg. He was whinning, clearly in pain, and not happy.

I thought he broke his leg the way he was acting. I checked from his paw up and found out the deal was in the shoulder. He dislocated it.

I got it back in. I heard and felt the pop when it went back in. I massaged it a bit, he got up and walked like nothing happened. Gave him some dog asprin and the night is over for him.

Anyone ever had a dog dislocate a joint before?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985

Replies

• Mud RangerMud Ranger Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Wow, hope the old boy feels better!
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Pete, I had a black lab named Tubby that popped his shoulder out a few times. Took him to the vet the first time. Saved the money and popped it back in myself the next. Best friend and dog I ever had.

:dog:Rockon
  • 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,124 Captain
    I wouldn't even know how to do that, I'd be so afraid I would hurt the dog worse by trying. Good job.
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    9-Lives wrote: »
    I wouldn't even know how to do that, I'd be so afraid I would hurt the dog worse by trying. Good job.

That was my first thought. How in the world did you happen to know how to pop a dogs shoulder back into it's socket? Hope the ol' feller is feeling better this morning.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Good job --- man's best friend for sure !!
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    How in the world did you happen to know how to pop a dogs shoulder back into it's socket?

The shoulder does not have a socket. It is held together by muscle. Think about quartering a deer up and you will have a clear picture.
    I would assume the shoulder blade "pops" out of the "muscle pocket" so to speak.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 985 Officer
    Good for you. My old girl popped her's out a few years back trying to chase a frisbee. It still bothers her now and then but usually an aspirin gets her going again.
    Acceptance of any type of behavior effectively reinforces that behavior.
    Original member number 3640 - September 2001.
    NRA Endowment Member

obamasales.png
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Well, that makes sense GA.

I actually fixed it by accident really. I was checking his leg. Started at the paw and worked my way up. When I got to the shoulder, I had put pressure on with the palm of my hand and then started to move the whole leg with my other hand. That's when I heard and felt the pop.

He's been fine ever since.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Something very similar happened to my neighbor. She was walking her 2 dogs, one stepped over his leash and got it wrapped around his leg. He see's a squirrel and takes off. The leash tightened and pulled his leg right out of the socket. Starts yelping and rolling on the ground. Neighbor doesnt realize what has happened and tries to comfort the dog and it bites her on the arm. Another neighbor who is a retired vet heard the commotion and was able to pop the leg back in. The dog eventually need surgery. Scary stuff dealing with an injured and frieghtened animal.