Home Off Topic

Electric Service upgrade

Larry33843Larry33843 Posts: 67 Greenhorn
Was wondering what the approximate cost to upgrade residential electric service from 100 amps to 200 amps. Home was built in the mid fifties and there wasn't much electric power consumed those days. We've not had any problems such as breakers tripping but do notice lights dimming slightly if compressor comes on. I suppose that a licensed electrician has to perform this task, and they charge different prices in different areas, but what has it cost some of you, including the new breaker box and main ? Thanks,
Been on FS Forum for over ten years, just 'cause you start it over three times and call me a Junior don't make it so.

Replies

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    I would call my electrician and ask him, but he is in jail awaiting trial for beating his wife to death and throwing her down a well.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,964 Captain
    GA Fin wrote: »
    I would call my electrician and ask him, but he is in jail awaiting trial for beating his wife to death and throwing her down a well.

Shocking!
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    $1000 min, up to 4k depending
  • proline251proline251 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    About $1250 to $1500 to a licensed electrician. About half that for a "side job".
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Larry33843 wrote: »
    Was wondering what the approximate cost to upgrade residential electric service from 100 amps to 200 amps. Home was built in the mid fifties and there wasn't much electric power consumed those days. We've not had any problems such as breakers tripping but do notice lights dimming slightly if compressor comes on. I suppose that a licensed electrician has to perform this task, and they charge different prices in different areas, but what has it cost some of you, including the new breaker box and main ? Thanks,

If "lights dimming" is something new(?) and you are not adding any new loads to this service -- you probably don't need a 200 amp service. Lights dimming when your compressor comes "on" is caused by "voltage drop" and it is not good for everything in your house. Loose electrical connections can cause this, especially in a house and installation that is 50+ years old. This many times occurs in the service drop on the power company's side of the meter?? If so(?) the problem belongs to the power company, not your service equipment. Many times people have their service changed and still have the "dimming" problem, only to find out the power company had a loose connection on the tramsformer feeding their house. One hundred amp service will supply an average house. A "real" electrician will determine your total load, and measure the voltage at the service when the compressor starts --- there are a number of connections that can cause this -- in your meter can -- your panel --- inside your main breaker - your overhead service connections????
  • BigRob305BigRob305 Posts: 302 Deckhand
    If "lights dimming" is something new(?) and you are not adding any new loads to this service -- you probably don't need a 200 amp service. Lights dimming when your compressor comes "on" is caused by "voltage drop" and it is not good for everything in your house. Loose electrical connections can cause this, especially in a house and installation that is 50+ years old. This many times occurs in the service drop on the power company's side of the meter?? If so(?) the problem belongs to the power company, not your service equipment. Many times people have their service changed and still have the "dimming" problem, only to find out the power company had a loose connection on the tramsformer feeding their house. One hundred amp service will supply an average house. A "real" electrician will determine your total load, and measure the voltage at the service when the compressor starts --- there are a number of connections that can cause this -- in your meter can -- your panel --- inside your main breaker - your overhead service connections????
    He is on the money with that advice. bad connections will reek havoc in an electrical system.
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Local fisherman and member Don is a lisc electrician.
    Hus number is(321) 228-1495
    I wont use anyone else. He just ran new service to my MIL's place and has dine alit of other work for me. Good man, fair and honest.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,919 Admiral
    Definitely have the power company come out and inspect first to see if the issue is outside the house.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events