Home Off Topic

Huey & Louie - Before & After

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    The two smallest one are only two weeks old. Umbilical cords aren't even gone yet.

How much to "career change" them?!?! :(
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
    GT Fish wrote: »
    Never name a animal you are going to eat..

why not?
  • Hamburger would be a good name for a cow, way better then satchel is for a dog.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    call him Bourguignon
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    We got one named booger because hes a pia. Hes the one going in so we'll be eating booger soon
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    GT Fish wrote: »
    Never name a animal you are going to eat..

This^^^. I am going next week to pick out a cow for my family. Guy in Ft Myers has 9 of them he has been raising on grass and grain. First time I've done this but looking forward to it.

Rich, any suggestions on how I should request them butchered? He says I can request the thickness if each steak, how much hamburger, etc.
    Well im not ttt. But buttons, you can choose thickness of steaks. Leanness of burger, wether or not you want some roast burgered. And then you can choose tri tips, porterhouse or t bone. Or a good standing rib roast.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    One day I will get a cow or two (or few) to raise to provide meat for us. If we had the room, I would have a couple now.

I'm thinking of off the wall names already. They would have food names from other animals. Sure would get some funny looks when talking about them to people. Drumstick, pork chop, etc.

We have 2 chickens here for eggs and their names are Ashley and Hamburger. Hamburger was originally Amber but our 4 (then 3) year old called them Ashley and Hamburger. We thought it was funny so we kept it.
    Weve had tbone, sirloin, patty, booger.
    Mama cows are bessie, char, stripe, crazy eyes, and shanikwa. Shanikwa is a black white faced cow that is always a bit stand offish.
    Pugs gave been named hambone, porkchop and vlbacon but now we just call em pig
    Calves are named oreo, scully, copper, hershey and evie.
    hooknline wrote: »
    Well im not ttt. But buttons, you can choose thickness of steaks. Leanness of burger, wether or not you want some roast burgered. And then you can choose tri tips, porterhouse or t bone. Or a good standing rib roast.

Thank you. What do you recommend for thickness of ribeyes, porterhouses, etc? 2"?
    Our last steer we did 2" steaks. While great there was a problem. Thats awful thick, and because of that there werent as many steaks. Well go for 1.5" this time and get more steaks. Maybe even 1"
    And for most people i would recc just getting the normal cuts and 1"
    Booger just as we put him in the pen 80 days ago
    Hes 23 months Old and out of a first calver. So hes a bit smaller. Never saw any grain until finishing so all growth is on grass and range cubes only. Natural raised ( almost organic but not quite)
    photo-18.jpg
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    I just put part of "Sick'em Sam" on the grill. BTW 1.5" is about perfect for steak thickness.
    Pics of sic em sam plz
    hooknline wrote: »
    Pics of sic em sam plz
    I'll see if I can find any, He was supposed to be a FFA/Fair project but he did not have the personality for it so I fattened him up for about a year and then off to the butcher. If I remember correctly he was about 1100lbs hanging weight.
    1100 hanging? That would put him at 2000 on the hoof.
    Either way i still like to see pics of other peoples cows. Ive got a 4 minth old heifer thats pushing 400lbs already. Shes a dandy and im not sure if i want to retain her or auction her. Ive got 5 others goin to auction as it is.
    I guess I should have said 1100lbs dead weight...oops:grin I think we put about 650-700lbs in the freezer.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin

Rich, any suggestions on how I should request them butchered? He says I can request the thickness if each steak, how much hamburger, etc.

Well, in reference to thickness of your steaks, that's all really personal preference and what's interesting is that all butchers have their own personal preference so it is important to be specific as to exactly what you'd like. My personal preference is a good 1 1/2" for my T-bones, Porterhouse, Chuck Steaks and Ribeyes. I'll have the Sirloins done 1" thick. My butcher says 1 1/2" is a roast. He likes his own steaks thin. I don't.

Now the Chuck Roasts I'll do a full 2".

The other thing to keep in mind is that it's a whole lot easier for him to do as much burger as he can so it's important to tell him all the different cuts you'd like. If you don't specifically ask for Briskets, they'll end up as burger. Same with Flank Steaks and Skirt Steaks. I love both so I let him know I want all my Flanks And Skirts. Same with the Chuck. I want all my Chuck as roasts.

I love the natural flavor of a London Broil so I'll ask for those.

If you want a couple Sirloin Roasts, let him know. Some people want all steaks.

Another thing to give some thought to is whether you want the T-bones and Porterhouse or would you rather have whole tenderloins? Also decide if you'd like one or two Rib Roasts or all cut into steaks?

Make sure you specify the mix on the fat for your burger. 80/20, 75/25 etc. I like mine juicy.

Liver, heart, tongue, brains. If you don't want them he'll sell them. Lungs go to the gator hunters.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    Cory, Huey weighed 1600 on the hoof and 980 hanging. Louie was just under 1500 on the hoof
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    Thats pretty big for butcher. Whats their frame score? They look long and tall. Larger frame almost continental size
    Who are you using for butcher now TTT?
    Cory I take them to get their hair cut right at about 18 months and I'm still using Braddocks up in Seville.

They were not 18 months yet in the very first pictures. I think they were only 12 months there
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,904 Admin
    What's the difference between Flank Steak and London Broil? I always thought they were the same.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
    Griz wrote: »
    What's the difference between Flank Steak and London Broil? I always thought they were the same.

Actually that's really what a London Broil is, flank steak. The thicker cuts of Flank are broiled and cut cross grain.

I'll take the 1" Flanks and butterfly them and make a Bracole for my spaghetti sauce
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    what? no tripe or liver?
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    Great info TTT !!! This is what the forum is all about!
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    what does but butcher do with the entrails and such?
    Rendering plants :puke