First catch on the new yak 12-30

PlightPlight Posts: 27 Greenhorn
So I finally got a chance to get out there today for the first time on my new yak. The conditions were perfect and it was a beautiful day. We couldn't get out until about 10:30am, paddled out of FTL for 20min got to 90ft and found ourselves in the middle of weeds.

We decided to drift with the weeds and sure enough, after about 10min we saw action all around us. The water was popping and splashing everywhere and I could see schools of fish swimming by me. I cast out my trusty rapala and BAM! I got a fish on. Very exciting and a blast to reel in. As I bring it on the boat I realize I'm not sure what it is... My first guess was a cero mackerel, but now that I got home and looked at pictures online I think I'm wrong. Can any of you guys tell me what it is?

Either way, I put him back in as a goodwill gesture to the ocean for my first catch ever on a kayak (and because I thought whatever it was, it was probably too small anyway :)). We continued to drift and about 30min later my other rod was bending, I had a dead sardine soaking on the bottom. As I reeled this in I knew it was small, but what a treat of a fish... a small red grouper (may have been a yellowfin grouper, I'm not sure) It had bright red circle spots all over it's body, beautiful fish, but too small, only about 14in. so it was released.

Soon we realized we had drifted about a mile north and had to paddle back. Boy let me tell ya, paddling against the wind and current sucks. It took me what seemed like an eternity to get back to my launch spot. All I kept thinking about was a motor, a sail or a Hobie with peddles. Any one of those things would've been very helpful lol. Btw, on the way in my buddy got a small grouper (released) and a keeper mangrove snapper.

Here's a pic of the mystery fish (if it doesn't show up let me know, this is the first time I'm trying this) till next time...

Fall2011218.jpg

Replies

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Rainbow runner???
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Nice first trip! Paddling can be a pain in the ***, especially against current.. I know the feeling VERY well lol... I try to think of it was a good workout.. I looked through the Florida fish ID list, and first thought it was a banded rudderfish, but i think pottymouth is right about the rainbow runner
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    Rainbow runner was my first thought too. Congrats on the first catch. Drifting too far is a lesson we've all learned the hard way - it particularly sucks when you're trying to pass Port Everglades on an outgoing tide with a N tide and S wind. Glad you made it back.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Just came here to say that it's definitely a rainbow runner. Weird that with all that action, a rainbow runner is what you got! Normally around here they are smaller but they can get very big, especially in the Caribbean. Probably close to three feet long
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Oh wow i've never caught one of those before, but my old man says they're fine tablefare. But yeah, rainbow runners ger bigger than that, good on ya for releasing the first catch. Poseidon would nod in approval.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    If you happen to drift too far and have trouble. Try getting close to the shoreline. Lesser current there and the swells help you move along. It is also a good way to get a decent cobia. Nice job on letting your first go. You will be rewarded down the line.
  • Flat LinerFlat Liner Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Congrats, on a nice first trip!
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Looks like you had a great day. Next time make a drift trip. Meet 5 to 10 miles to the north. Put all the kayaks on one car and drive south to the put in spot. Paddle out and drift to the north and come in at the spot where you have the other car. I do most of my offshore trips that way. More time to fish and less time that you have to paddle.