Show off your custom smoking or BBQ grill,

2»

Replies

• AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    CT, that's pretty cool, the broaster.

We're alike in that I am an Egg guy and also run the DigiQII on it. I see you also did the same thing I did and put solid wood slates on the egg. Make things much easier.

Last week, we had a foot of snow on the ground and overnight low around 5°. Guests coming over the next day. So, got the Egg to 240°, threw a 9lb butt in at 8pm. Went to bed that night and no need to check anyting. Work up in the morning and it was still in the plateau. Done by noon, cooler for an hour and pulled pork for all. Plus, only cost me $3 in charcoal.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,897 Admiral
    Mark O. wrote: »
    ...the guy smoked a big piece of meat under a large heavy cardboard box...

That ain't right!
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    OK, I guess I will join in.

I don't need no stinkin BGE. :willynilly

ECB.jpg

Old 30+ year old ECB

Smoker006.jpg

GOSM Charcoal to Propane conversion

Ribsfallapart0077.jpg

VenisonShoulder052.jpg

Porkbutt028.jpg

Pulled0023.jpg

Turkey_9626.jpg

Fatty004.jpg

PrimeBone017.jpg

TriTipSliced0034.jpg

Chuckie0018.jpg

Beefies2hr0007.jpg

LBCarved0015.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    **** Flash, those look awesome.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Flash has this "stuff" down to a science !! And i agree with you flash "you don't need no Big Green Egg". But all the egg does is provide you with an OUTDOOR oven -- And the green egg is very limited to the amount of smoke it can produce. Any smoker that can maintain a set temperature and provide the product with three or four hours of smoke will run circles around the egg. And it was Abelman's pictures that lured my into buying an egg.. I even asked myself "maybe his "stuff" looks this good because he's cooking it a mile high in the sky" !! And it was Flash that convinced me to switch from long overnight pork butt cooks to the short method of wrapping it in foil, thereby cooking it in four to five hours vs 22 hours!! Myron Mixon does his this way. The ceramic wall of the egg is both an insulator as well as temperature maintainer and holds the cooking temperature steady throughout the cook. Again, Flash coached me into lowering my starting cooking temperature to extend the length of smoke producing time that the meat is exposed to. I was getting one hour, because my starting temperature was 375 degrees. Now i get two+ hours by starting at 250 to 275 degrees. I always used my temperature controlling BBQ Guru until i went to the double wrap method. Now i only use my "food probe" to monitor the interior butt temperature. So i could have saved a couple of hundred bucks by buying a remote temperature probe for $25.00.. I have gotten a lot of useful information on the "Kitchen" section of this forum. Today i will be cooking a ham -- just to get the bone -- for tomorrow's "Hoppin John" recipe provided by another outstanding forum member "HOSSMOSS".......
  • slipknotslipknot Posts: 372 Officer
    Not a smoker, but a grill. Everything is adjustable, and swings 360deg.
    It doesnt get any more custom than this. A guy I know in Georgia builds these when his welding buisness is slow. Everything is heavy duty, thick material.
    Nice setup and i'm sure can do some serious grilling -- load the pit up with some lump coal --- WOW!
  • slipknotslipknot Posts: 372 Officer
    Or Peacan Wood..
  • fishonfishon Posts: 953 Officer
    This would have been a good thread, with out the typical, jak **** that have nothing to
    contribute. I did find the smoking meats site good info, thanks to the people that had something worth saying.
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    IMG_1187.jpg
    I wouldn't call **** your typical Jackasz. Here's a special breed of jackasz.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    got ants? wrote: »
    Jake, I've always assumed the BGE use charcoal as their proprietary heat source. Can you use wood chips, chunks, etc.. without the charcoal?

Also, what is the max capacity? I'm doing 4 pork shoulders, plus their bones, and 2 slabs of bacon in mine. That might be maxxed out

Yes, lump charcoal is the heat source. Wood chips and chunks are added into the charcoal for applications requiring smoke. I'm a newbie to the BGE but their website gives some capacity guidelines (and cooking area measurements) and their forum has guys who post outrageous amounts of food cooked on their eggs.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/
    Also the member's GreenEgg forum is: GreenEggers.com which is the original forum - owned and operated by owners only --- not affiliated with the manufacturer has many recipes and tips.
    Also the member's GreenEgg forum is: GreenEggers.com which is the original forum - owned and operated by owners only --- not affiliated with the manufacturer has many recipes and tips.

Good advice. Also, if you are a member, once you sign in, go to the Home tab or Forum, look at the top right corner. There are a series of BGE cookbooks in PDF format which you can save. They are done each year from the EggFest. Right now, 2003-2010 is available.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Here is yesterday's smoke session (New Years Eve)

4 pork shoulders (3 on left) seasoned w/Jerk seasoning
    IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg
    In an oven bag heading into the fridge overnight
    IMG_0348.jpg
    The smoker
    IMG_0349.jpg
    The wood, apple chips in the big bowl, allspice chunks in the small bowl
    IMG_0350.jpg
    The smoker loaded
    pork belly on to (plus a pc of salmon)
    pork should bones 2nd level
    4 pork shoulders 3rd and 4th rack (two each)
    IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg
    Finished product (11 hrs cooking time) poke candy
    IMG_0360.jpg

I just realized I didn't take pics of the bacon before my wife put it away, about 4 pounds double smoked.
    The whole process I kept the temps under 180%, hence the long smoke.
    IMG_0362.jpg
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    Great job GA, that's a nice mess of some good food!

Hell, all I'm doing today are burgers. Did some chicken fingers and onion rings in the oven last night. They were good.

ChickenFingers1.jpg
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Looks awesome!
2»