Show off your custom smoking or BBQ grill,

fishonfishon Posts: 953 Officer
I am collecting ideas for doing a small smoker/grill, I have a 28 gallon broken air compressor I
plan to use as the cook box. Got photos, let's see it. What are your best ideas? I may put a
Propane fueled fire box under the main box? Still pondering.
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    :Popcorn
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    You own both of those? Impressive.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • MrHialeah87MrHialeah87 Posts: 457 Officer
  • MrHialeah87MrHialeah87 Posts: 457 Officer
    no I dont own those, but this last one is def mine.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Gross.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • designated_hitterdesignated_hitter Posts: 837 Officer
  • designated_hitterdesignated_hitter Posts: 837 Officer
    smokingmeatsforum.com
    No h0m0.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    fishon wrote: »
    I am collecting ideas for doing a small smoker/grill, I have a 28 gallon broken air compressor I
    plan to use as the cook box. Got photos, let's see it. What are your best ideas? I may put a
    Propane fueled fire box under the main box? Still pondering.

Now you see why we have the Sportsman's Kitchen :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    I'm in the proccess of making a propane UDS smoker. Had to tinker with the burner and vents to get bring the temps down to where I need them. All thats left is to make a wheeled stand for it and set up the wood pan and diffuser, I'll see if I can get some pics tommorrow.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Funny this thread came up. I was gonna start one asking who is smoking this weekend,

I bought 4 pork shoulders to smoke. Dressed them of the bone last night and salted them. Took them out of the fridge, smothered them with jerl seasoning and back in until tomorrow.

I have a GSM propane box from BassProShop. I'll be running it with apple chips and allspice wood chunks (the latter from Jamaica).

I'll post pics up tomorrow of the process and the smoker.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,407 Captain
    I saw a cooking show where the guy smoked a big piece of meat under a large heavy cardboard box...the kind you find behind furniture stores.
    Then just throw the box away.
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    Mark O. wrote: »
    the guy smoked a big piece of meat under a large heavy cardboard box...the kind you find behind furniture stores.
    Then just throw the box away.

GO Spin go.
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle Posts: 752 Officer
    HUGE Pork butt and a couple turkeys headed to the smoker tomorrow....
    Water rat

Get ready to rock and roll South Florida, theres a NEW tournament on the horizon that's gong to change your world!
  • Mud RangerMud Ranger Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Safe yourself some aggravation and buy a Big Green Egg.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Mud Ranger wrote: »
    Safe yourself some aggravation and buy a Big Green Egg.
    save yourself some money and buy a weber grill, or two

turkey will be smoking in one tomorrow and grilling a top round in the other
    No political signature
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,331 AG

That is one of the coolest things ever!!!!
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Testingthesmoketime020.jpg
    Testingthesmoketime020.jpg

You got 2 BGE's, PLUS, the big ole weber ($1k?)?? What are ya trying to do, recreate that show, BarBQ U?
    what the heck is that contraption next to the egg? ...looks like your meat has marinade on an IV drip.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Home made Rocky Hammock Rod & Gun Club grill/smoker:

cooker.jpg
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 107 Deckhand
    and it's portable....
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • QuailhunterQuailhunter Posts: 173 Deckhand
    This is mine it is a 120 gallon propane tank standing upright works great.

aefc6756-1cc9-8b6b.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Another vertical tank....
    k026.jpg
    k025.jpg
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Mark O. wrote: »
    what the heck is that contraption next to the egg? ...looks like your meat has marinade on an IV drip.
    Looks like he has an electronic "stoker". Temp data does into the unit with the digital display from the meat and dome. The computer controls the air flow into the egg with a variable speed air pump air the bottom of the egg. They'll maintain the same temp overnight for long smokes and you can connect it to your PC and monitor from indoors on some models. Very nice set up.

I got the Big Green Egg a couple of months ago and agree with some of the other posters on here...they're fantastic! Even without a stoker. Yes, they are pricy. But you'll never throw it away. They're guaranteed for life and You'll never need another grill. I had a failing gas grill, a Weber kettle and an electric smoker. Now I have an Egg. It's much simpler!
    jakedge wrote: »
    and you can connect it to your PC

smoking meat? ...there's an app for that!
    jakedge wrote: »
    Looks like he has an electronic "stoker". Temp data does into the unit with the digital display from the meat and dome. The computer controls the air flow into the egg with a variable speed air pump air the bottom of the egg. They'll maintain the same temp overnight for long smokes and you can connect it to your PC and monitor from indoors on some models. Very nice set up.

I got the Big Green Egg a couple of months ago and agree with some of the other posters on here...they're fantastic! Even without a stoker. Yes, they are pricy. But you'll never throw it away. They're guaranteed for life and You'll never need another grill. I had a failing gas grill, a Weber kettle and an electric smoker. Now I have an Egg. It's much simpler!

Jake, I've always assumed the BGE use charcoal as their proprietary heat source. Can you use wood chips, chunks, etc.. without the charcoal?

Also, what is the max capacity? I'm doing 4 pork shoulders, plus their bones, and 2 slabs of bacon in mine. That might be maxxed out, not sure..

(not custom)
    IMG_0112.jpg
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    How about a BROASTER ---- Does that count ??
    Smokerandbarn14march09001-1.jpg
    It is a pressure frier -- will cook eight chicken breast to perfection in eight minutes or five pounds of chicken wings !! And you don't want to hear about the seasoned fries and onion rings !!! Cooks at 375 degrees - at twelve pounds of pressure - which seals the outside of the chicken and the inside cooks in the chicken's own juices. Consistant -- outstanding product everytime !!