Home Off Topic

New years in apalachicola/st george

Old E.Old E. Posts: 596 Officer
Spending the weekend here, at the beach, in the middle of winter... With the outlaws and wife's extended family. Having never been here, any suggestions on places to eat, things to do, grocery, liquor and seafood markets? Will need liquor... Lots of liquor.

Thanks.

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Sorry I can not help.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I would like to give you some good advice. But once again I can not.
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    I used to go to St. George to fish for pompano
    out on the east end and to Dog Island too when
    I was in school, but never in the winter

hope this helps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    Hope you brought some good books...
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    I don't remember seeing any good bars on SGI at all

I think there was a Circle K on the left once you got
    to the island from over the bridge

hope this helps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    RRR wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing any good bars on SGI at all

I think there was a Circle K on the left once you got
    to the island from over the bridge

hope this helps

We have decided as a forum to boycot Circle K
  • river dogriver dog Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Try what is called the Blue Store on St. George, it's the former convenience store on the right as you come on the island. Best butcher shop in the area. Piggly Wiggly in Apalachicola is ok but the Blue Store is has a better meat selection. For casual drinks on the island go to Eddy Teach's(turn left on Island Dr. as you come on the island). Head to Apalachicola for more dining options. Have a cocktail at the Gibson Inn,try The Owl or Tamara's for dinner. Papa Joe's at Scipio Creek Marina or Boss Oyster for oysters. Hope this helps.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    I have a cousin who lives there. Loves it!

Hope this helps.
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Calusa wrote: »
    I have a cousin who lives there. Loves it!

Hope this helps.

:rotflmao
  • Ramblin' ReckRamblin' Reck Posts: 2,701 Officer
    Boss Qyster = best on the planet!!!

Sayin... Reck
    AuthorHouse.com

Walk.gif
  • Old E.Old E. Posts: 596 Officer
    Thanks for the help. Piggly wiggly is... Well... Interesting. It got it done. Just us oyster fishermen and Canadians here. Not sure why my in laws think the beach in winter is so fabulous.

Reck. Tell me more about this Boss Oyster. Oyster bar or place to buy in bulk? Looking for both.

We tried to go to edy teach's. Not so good with little kids. We had to keep moving.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,032 Captain
    If you came for nightlife, shopping, or great restaurants, you came to the wrong place.
    St George is mainly private vacation homes strewn about in an ugly fashion.
    The park on the east end is an example of what the island should look like.
    F the feds
  • Old E.Old E. Posts: 596 Officer
    Bodine wrote: »
    If you came for nightlife, shopping, or great restaurants, you came to the wrong place.
    St George is mainly private vacation homes strewn about in an ugly fashion.
    The park on the east end is an example of what the island should look like.
    Not at all. Just lookin for the basics.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    Old E. wrote: »
    Not sure why my in laws think the beach in winter is so fabulous.

The beach is an excellent place to be in the winter. You just happen to be several hundred miles too far north.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Ramblin' ReckRamblin' Reck Posts: 2,701 Officer
    Boss Oyster sits right on the water with boats tied up to the docks, so you get that smelly old fish camp feel and you know the food is fresh. There is a fresh seafood retail house just a couple doors down. Another good place is the Indian Pass Raw Bar between Appalach and Cape San Blas, probably about 12-15 miles. The first time I went there with beer in hand, I asked if their oysters were fresh. The answer was that "they slept in the Bay last night". They have good steamed shrimp, but you just can't beat BO for oysters.

Sayin... Reck
    AuthorHouse.com

Walk.gif
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,745 Captain
    Another good place is the Indian Pass Raw Bar between Appalach and Cape San Blas, probably about 12-15 miles. The first time I went there with beer in hand, I asked if their oysters were fresh. The answer was that "they slept in the Bay last night".

You owe it to yourself to visit Indian Pass Raw Bar.

Longnecks you take out of the stand up coolers, they count the bottle on the table when you get ready to leave, so you know what you owe.

The lady convinced me to try the bake oysters, I like them raw, and said if I didn't like them I didn't have to pay for them. I ordered two dozen more.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."