7 Reasons Why Mitt Romney's Electability Is A Myth

Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,436 AG
Mitt Romney was a moderate governor in Massachusetts with an unimpressive record of governance. He left office with an approval rating in the thirties and his signature achievement, Romneycare, was a Hurricane Katrina style disaster for the state. Since that's the case, it's fair to ask what a Republican who's not conservative and can't even carry his own state brings to the table for GOP primary voters. The answer is always the same: Mitt Romney is supposed to be "the most electable" candidate. This is a baffling argument because many people just seem to assume it's true, despite the plethora of evidence to the contrary.

1) People just don't like Mitt:

2) He's a proven political loser:

3) Running weak in the southern states:

4) His advantages disappear in a general election:

5) Bain Capital:

6) The Mormon Factor:

7) He's a flip-flopper.

There are a lot of issues with trying to run a candidate who doesn't seem to have any core principles. It makes it impossible for his supporters to get excited about him because you can't fall in love with a weathervane. Even worse, since politicians tend to be such liars anyway and you know Romney has no firm beliefs, it's very easy for everyone to assume the worst. Democrats will feel that Romney will be a right wing death-beast. Republicans will think that Romney will screw them over. Independents won't know what to believe, which will make the hundreds of millions that Obama will spend on attack ads particularly effective. Ronald Reagan famously said the GOP needed "a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors." That's particularly relevant when it comes to Mitt Romney who has proven to be a pasty grey pile of formless mush.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2011/12/27/7_reasons_why_mitt_romneys_electability_is_a_myth/page/full/

Replies

• rain dograin dog Posts: 3,245 Captain
    as opposed to newt or ron paul? i think the GOP contest is already over.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,436 AG
    rain dog wrote: »
    as opposed to newt or ron paul? i think the GOP contest is already over.

Obama will eat Romney alive. Ron Paul is the only one that has a chance to beat Obama. People are ready for real change and Paul represents that. Nobody likes Romney. For the hardcare RINO's, Romney represents their last ditch effort to keep that failed torch burning.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I think Glenn Beck described it best
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Big, RP foreign policy is too far out of mainstream thinking to get him elected. I have conservative friends and when I send them RP stuff they think it's anti-american and sometimes they get offended. I think he's, right we should stay out of foreign entanglements but mainstream doesn't see it that way. I see him as a isolationist, like Washington, but others see him as a Neville Chamberlain, appeaser or an anti-american hater like Obama and the Jews see him as worst the Obama. And being truthful I can see their points.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111229/OPINION01/712299993
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,467 AG
    After the last presidential election,,, I think the American voter proved that a heartbeat and body heat are all that is required to win an election for POTUS..I lost ALL faith in the voting public in 2008. Maybe 2012 can restore a bit of that faith.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,799 AG
    Lets see all these countries overseas grow a set and start handling their own issue's, stop expecting the U.S. to be the provider.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    cpr wrote: »
    Big, RP foreign policy is too far out of mainstream thinking to get him elected. I have conservative friends and when I send them RP stuff they think it's anti-american and sometimes they get offended. I think he's, right we should stay out of foreign entanglements but mainstream doesn't see it that way. I see him as a isolationist, like Washington, but others see him as a Neville Chamberlain, appeaser or an anti-american hater like Obama and the Jews see him as worst the Obama. And being truthful I can see their points.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111229/OPINION01/712299993

I would much rather you tell me "I told you so." than me getting to tell you that. Our country can survive you telling me but not the other way around. Those who dont find the wisdom in Paul's foreign policy just have refused to think for themselves otherwise they wouldnt be using the media terms "Neville" or that the Jews see him bad as Obama... Do you know Paul was the only one that spoke in Israel's defense after they attacked Iraq in the 80's?
  • sEEkErsEEkEr Posts: 2,842 Officer
    1) People just don't like Mitt:

Rightly or wrongly, you could have stopped right there...:grin

• Bowd upBowd up Posts: 1,115 Officer
    way to go BB-- now your attacking the GOP candidates for your loser Ron Paul !! wow---- how can you honestly say Ron Paul has even the slightest chance and keep your intellectual honesty!!
    Pauls a loser , been a loser and after this is over will be a loser again.Just hope he doesnt take down our chance at getting OBAMA out in the process. learn from history. How any of you cannot look and see that he is just problems waiting to be pounced on and will get picked apart by media--- they gave you a little taste last week and you learned NOTHING!

this guys candidacy is a joke and any one who supports him.
    ]
    Look at the tactics being used by the Romney crowd. Little does Christie know, Mitt will not cut spending.

Christie: If You Don't Vote for Romney, I'll Be Back Jersey-Style

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie warned Iowans on Friday—in a mock tone—that if they didn't support former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, he'd be forced to make further appearances.

"You people disappoint me on Tuesday, you don't do what you're supposed to do for Mitt Romney, I will be back Jersey-style people," Christie said. "But I'd much rather come back to Iowa this fall to campaign for Mitt Romney and to help you help him to lead this country."

With the Iowans set to caucus on Tuesday, Christie made an appearance in Des Moines on Friday to lend his support to Romney's campaign while taking shots at President Obama.

"There is no person better qualified by his experience and his character to take on President Obama and lead the United States of America than Mitt Romney," Christie told the crowd.

Christie pressed supporters to show up to vote on Tuesday and not to listen to the "story" that Obama will tell them later in the election cycle.

"The president is going to be out here and try to tell you that America is doing better. And we know that's not true," Christie said. "After three years of Obama, we are hopeless and changeless, and we need Mitt Romney to bring America back."
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    Bowd up wrote: »
    way to go BB-- now your attacking the GOP candidates for your loser Ron Paul !! wow---- how can you honestly say Ron Paul has even the slightest chance and keep your intellectual honesty!!
    Pauls a loser , been a loser and after this is over will be a loser again.Just hope he doesnt take down our chance at getting OBAMA out in the process. learn from history. How any of you cannot look and see that he is just problems waiting to be pounced on and will get picked apart by media--- they gave you a little taste last week and you learned NOTHING!

Pretty simple... Romney nor anyone else in the GOP can win but Ron Paul.
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Bowd up wrote: »

ANd just who is your man...Romney....Romney couldn't beat Teddy Kennedy in a state race, think he has a chance against Obama?

What is a joke is your continually trying to tell people how to vote, when you really have no clue....
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,263 Captain
    Some of our RP fans have the arrogance of our POTUS, not good.......
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    romney = obama
    a vote for him is a vote for the same agenda pursued by the government for the past 60 years
    No political signature
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    frank wrote: »
    romney = obama
    a vote for him is a vote for the same agenda pursued by the government for the past 60 years

Isn't it amazing how when it comes down to it, you get to see who is actually displeased with the way things have been run for so long and who is happy to help continue the disastrous ways of the past? People complain that they don't like the way thing have been run, but give them a chance to vote for something different and they are too scared to take a chance on anything but the status quo.