Home Off Topic

Just remember before you get behind the wheel this weekend.

flatsjunkie88flatsjunkie88 Posts: 1,364 Officer
Before going out this New Years Eve, jot down the following phone number and store it in your phone. If you find yourself or someone else in an impaired condition and unable to drive, simply call 1-800-AAA-HELP; your call will then be directed to a Emergency Roadside Service Call Center.

AAA will then dispatch a tow truck to your location to tow vehicle and the driver safely home.

In 2010, AAA received 2,400 calls. Since the program's inception, over 13,600 intoxicated drivers have decided to use Tow to Go vs. getting behind the wheel when their sobriety was in question.

New data show drunk driving deaths declined in 2010; however, the data also show that fatalities from alcohol-impaired driving crashes continue to account for one in three deaths on American roadways each year.

In December, U.S. Transportation secretary Ray LaHood announced a crackdown on drunk driving stating 'Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over'

"Safety is our focus year round at DOT. But this holiday season, we're stepping up our efforts to get drunk drivers off our roads and reminding Americans 'drive sober, or get pulled over,' " said Secretary LaHood. "We're making gains in our fight against drunk driving, but we cannot and will not let up."

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    :USA drunk drivers who cause accidents deserve :machinegun
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    I've got the impaired driver phone number in my contacts, but if I were to call a crazy driver in while I was on the road, wouldn't I then be "impaired"?
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I dunno but I've sure called in a herd of impaired drivers. One wasn't drunk but was high and had borrowed a family member's car without permission. My sister was hit by a drunk and my neighbor growing up was cut in half by a drunk while she walking to the store to get her parents some smokes.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Bruce LBBruce LB Posts: 3,604 Captain
    I agree with don't drink and drive, but what about the 2 out of 3 fatalities not caused by drinking and driving??
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    I'll be asleep, don't call me.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Bruce LB wrote: »
    I agree with don't drink and drive, but what about the 2 out of 3 fatalities not caused by drinking and driving??

There are probably a dozen+ reasons for the other deaths.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I make my wife drive