Mahi Mahi!!

First offshore trip got myself my favorite fish, MAHI!! Trolled out to about 200ft and birds are going wild at the seaweed so i started working the area without luck.. Went out a bit further to try out some jigging and then the mahi hit! Reeled it and played with it for a while to get her nice and tired then gafed it into the yak.. While doing this and trying to get the fish stowed away i start to feel a little queezy.. Then i look up and realize that im in about 10ft+ seas! It was crazy, the water was flat and nice all the way out, then all of a sudden at 300ft these monster rolling waves were coming through, I had drifted a half mile in about 15 mins.. Then my newly installed Cuda 300 stopped working so I didnt know where to jig at, the depth finder was ok, just didnt show fish or the bottom stucture.. It only worked in about 60ft or less.. Is that a bad install or a dud fish finder??

Once i was moving with the waves and not just sitting in them it was pretty fun.. I tried jigging where the water turns blue and nothing.. Also tried different spots i had a hunch on, but i guess like ive been hearing jigging is all about practice.. Doesnt help that i was in crazy seas and my fish finder wasnt working either.. That was about it, just the one mahi.. Had some other bites with cut bally on the bottom closer in but didnt hook anything.. Good first trip overall, had alot of fun out there.. Looking forward to some more trips

23'' Trout from Choko last week

Replies