Rod holder cap

HalonHalon Posts: 143 Deckhand

I lost a rod holder cap on my flush mounted kayak rod holder. I used "duct" tape to close it temporarily.

I never use the flush mounted rod holders because of water getting into them. Always kept them capped.

I would like to remove or plug them. Any ideas on how to plug the rod holders?

If I remove the rod holders, how would I seal the holes left in the hull?

I'm looking for suggestions!

Thank you in advance for any comments!



  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    just get a tube of 100% silicone and fill the holders.
  •[email protected] Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    If you can reach them from inside just cap them from below. That way they can still be used if need be but won't allow water inside. I capped mine before I installed them. The round flush mounts come that way anyway. I never understood why scotty made them hollow in the first place. I used caps from prescription bottles and marine goop. Works like a champ.
  • yakmanyakman Posts: 63 Deckhand
    As said before, plug the inside of the rod holders. I did his by taking them out. Then buying rubber chair leg tips and putting them on the inside of the holders. You can silicone them on but if you find ones that fit properly don't bother. You can buy them at any hardware store. I even made scupper plugs out of them for like $2.00 bucks.
  • HalonHalon Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Anyone use pool noodles cut to size? If yes, do they leak?

  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    I used a rubber pipe cap from the hardware store. Poped right over the end with no problem.
Sign In or Register to comment.