Moccasin Island

Replies

• ironeyesironeyes Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Like I said DuckmanJr why doesnt someone from UWF push to have the kill reports published and put out on their site and let them speak for themselves

Why dont you do it yourself?

Believe me, Duckman was probably one of the best at getting permits under the phone system. And as far as someone pushing to post up numbers, not very likely. That would take time to compile and serves no purpose for the refuge. They are not the least bit interested in the "I like the old system better" argument. The current system allows the most people to apply with the greatest chance of success. Sorry you dont like it. I hate the TMG draw system but I know that no org in the state has enough pull to stop that change from happening.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,002 Captain
    AC....if UW-F "stuck to ducks" a lot of new hunting would not happen....Tell that to Chuck, Dennis,Joe and Hitch who as I type are in a fight with anti hunters in Lecanto at the SWFWMD scoping meeting on adding new hunting on District lands....not a bit of it duck hunting....all of it deer and turkey and upland....We are a lot broader organization and it shows...with five Members on the FWC Stakeholder Deer Management Techical Group...and on other committees for Water Management Districts....

Sure we concentrate on ducks and wetlands...but our Members are very active across the board when it comes to public land hunting expansion....

Also....the added Hog Hunting. without quotas! ...ie spontaneous opportunities for hunters to pick up their guns and go "big game" hunting for a lot of extra days in WMA Small Game Seasons.....is part of the Future of Hunting in Florida work I do as a member of the Board of Directors....

And I do "lobby" a lot....that is why UW-F is a 501 (c) 4 not for profit (not a (c) 3) so UW-F can and does legally lobby all WMD Gov. Board Members, FWD management and as many State Legislators as possible and anyone else in power to get them to support public access to public lands for hunting....
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    If were gonna mention other clubs, whose this guy you cohort with from The EvergladesFoundation?

Jerry Karnas? He seems like a real anti hunter if you ask me? Then again, maybe Manatees eat ducks?
    He seems like a real anti hunter if you ask me?

Nobody did.
    Nobody did what? They sponsored your summit!

You in cahoots with them or not?
    double post..
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,985 AG
    I think there needs to be more programs to help out first time duck hunters. We saw kids driving around on lake jessup shooting ringers out of there boat at full throtle. We went up and gave them a piece of our mind and told them they cannot do that and we were going to report them to FWC. They had absolutely no idea they were in the wrong, every one of these guys was in there mid 30's and said it was there first time duck hunting. Also, guess what happend when we called fwc? yup, you're right they couldnt send anyone out in time to help.

Men in there 30's should be able to read the small printed pamphlet that explains migratory bird rules....You really thisnk that I should have to READ IT TO THEM?
    Stupidity is no excuse...regardless of whether it is Deer or Ducks or Rabbits...the rules are printed and are also available on line...no excuse.

With that said organizations like UW-F do "youth hunts" with speakers and long time waterfowlers giving talks before the hunt in several venues statewide each year...

THAT is entirely different than what you described.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Nobody did what? They sponsored your summit!

You in cahoots with them or not?

Wide right yet again Rich...Your "kicking" is as bad now as it ever was...

The summit is a co-operative effort with FWC...other people and organizations know its value to our sport and made contributions to support it.

PS...I noticed that you were not in attendance last night in Locanto....just more internet trolling.
    It was a 336 mile trip for me...and I got 2 minutes at the mike...but well worth it for my fellow hunters....and so much more than you are doing....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    ironeyes wrote: »
    Believe me, Duckman was probably one of the best at getting permits under the phone system. .

I did quite well...only surpassed by that lawyer who had the whole secretarial pool on the phones for him...wish I could have afforded 23 secretaries and a phone bank..LOL!!

I did well when it went to FCFS on the computer too....

Now...one permit in 2 years of apps...but it is the most fair to all users.... so...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    at a reimbursement rate of .41 cents per mile, you'll have enough of money for donuts for everyone at the TMG gate this weekend. Nice work..I guess membership has it's privelages.

575 mi roundtrip wasn't in the cards for a working man...but it might have been if I was getting .41 a mile?
    UW-F is proud to have positve relationships with the EVERGLADES FOUNDATION and the ARTHUR MARSHALL FOUNDATION as well as DUCKS UNLIMITED, FUTURE OF HUNTING IN FLORIDA, EVERGLADES COORDINATING COUNCIL and the ALLIED SPORTSMAN'S ASSOCIATION OF FLORIDA.

UW-F is a DUCKS UNLIMITED Diamond Life Sponsor.....we know where the ducks come from!

Conservation of wetlands and the waterfowl resource is as important as maintaining the rights to hunt that "resource" and hunters have always led the way in conservation, starting near the end of the 19th Century.

For those who cannot understand the relationship and critizise it.....NO WETLANDS-NO DUCKS!

UW-F works hard for both conservation and restoration of wetlands and for hunting rights and access....with complimentary achievements in both arenas....
  • OysterbottomboyOysterbottomboy Posts: 414 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Men in there 30's should be able to read the small printed pamphlet that explains migratory bird rules....You really thisnk that I should have to READ IT TO THEM?
    Stupidity is no excuse...regardless of whether it is Deer or Ducks or Rabbits...the rules are printed and are also available on line...no excuse.

With that said organizations like UW-F do "youth hunts" with speakers and long time waterfowlers giving talks before the hunt in several venues statewide each year...

THAT is entirely different than what you described.

That sounds like a great program.

This still doesnt fix the idiots that break the laws and ruin the hunting for the average Joe that follows the rules. If FWC cannot enforce these rules efficiently maybe they should start working on trying to prevent ignorant people from beaking the law. Unfortunately you don't have to pass a rules book to get your hunter safety coarse or buy a gun for that matter. Not all first time hunters are youth, that is my point.
    at a reimbursement rate of .41 cents per mile, you'll have enough of money for donuts for everyone at the TMG gate this weekend. Nice work..I guess membership has it's privelages.

575 mi roundtrip wasn't in the cards for a working man...but it might have been if I was getting .41 a mile?

Oh Dear God! ...ANOTHER ONE WIDE RIGHT....
    I guess since you never were any part of the organization...( Other than the FIRST and ONLY member to get BANNED..congrats on that) you are equally ignorant of our policies....Sorry...no Gov't reimbersment rates.... Although as treasurer from '04 till 2011 I had to give that bit of bad news to your gang buddy.

and who you BS'in Rich...You're an internet troll...not a meeting maker. You were not going anyway.

Better rest that leg....your pulling your attempts at a near record pace....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    That sounds like a great program.

This still doesnt fix the idiots that break the laws and ruin the hunting for the average Joe that follows the rules. If FWC cannot enforce these rules efficiently maybe they should start working on trying to prevent ignorant people from beaking the law. Unfortunately you don't have to pass a rules book to get your hunter safety coarse or buy a gun for that matter. Not all first time hunters are youth, that is my point.

OBB...Nothing will "fix" the idiots...a fine from FWC may help..at least temporarily..

BUT...our only hope is to get the kids early...before they or their peer group become "self taught"...and that rarely goes well.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Let me correct you once again with a fact ok. I used to be a proud member, who recruited many people to the org,and did lots of work with regards to the spraying of herbicide..back when that was a truly fine org attempt to better the habitat..and did in fact organize and come thru with the first ever STA 5 youth duck hunt gift bags for every kid who attended.Yeah, that was me..u remember the Jack Blysma day--maybe you weren't around then?

If you need a refresher,call David Blood as he filled in for me that day...

I gave up on your org when your leader wrote a letter in support of shutting down a marsh called Curry Island...he didn't want to answer the hard questions so I gave up... know the rest of the story. I was indeed the first I believe to be banned from the site...(I think I asked for it,and knew that was coming.)

That my friend is called having a backbone,and standing up for something you believe in. Something you should take note of.

aside to your attempted humor, SWFWMD called me this morning,and said you left your bib in the parking lot...

NapoleonComplex.jpg
    I was indeed the first I believe to be banned from the site...(I think I asked for it,and knew that was coming.)

And you still stand proudly today as Mr. ONLY.... Yep...the first and only...quite an accomplishment!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I believe another strong minded person wears the dubious distinction of #2...and a lot of other voluntary "goners" to the ORG.

Heard you return checks now?

IMO, things will change for the better this yr for you guys. Maybe a changin of the guard is in order?

But then again, Birds of a feather flock together....

mlyn211l.jpg
    Anyone else who left, left of their own recognizance. Perhaps after being told if they continued they would be #2.
    Nobody did what?

asked you!
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Just for clarification.

How many members in UWF and only one has been banned. And this person is now making his existence into a PETA wet dream......I think this clears up many things for the general viewing public.

Again I ask what good are your posts on FS doing to promote the future of hunting?
  • vlcmsrfrvlcmsrfr Tallahassee, JupiterPosts: 214 Deckhand
    2,347 views as of now. Other than the fact that this thread is entertaining, it's doing no good at all for the cause you handful of guys are "standing" for and is pretty much not informative at all. I wonder how many of those couple thousand want nothing to do with hunting and are loving this. What's it take to lock a thread that's ruining what this section of the forum is trying to accomplish.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,285 Admiral
    To get back on topic about Moccasin Island, I spoke yesterday with the district and they WILL NOT consider any sort of closure or time restraint at this time... I was led to believe they would not consider it at all, even with a petition. Case closed. Next issue....
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
    Chuck, thanks for the good news..

Scrubs...let me try one more time to explain this to you.And BTW, 16k registered duck hunters in Florida, less then 500 members of the ORG you refer to ...do the math ok.

Secondly, PETA likes to shut down hunting opp's throughout the USA.Sound similar to Mocc Island?

WHo is PETA in this situation?, and who is trying to protect YOUR rights as they currently are?

I hope your able to figure this out for yourself.

Just trying to protect YOUR future in hunting Mocc Island Florida buddy.....
    Actually, a little over 1300 members. There was less than 500 when you were there, that's how many people can tolerate you.
    ironeyes wrote: »
    Actually, a little over 1300 members. There was less than 500 when you were there, that's how many people can tolerate you.

See Rich....That's how it's done...straight thru the uprights!!!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    is that the membership at floridawaterfowler.com or your org?
    That is the current membership total for UWF. I cannot comment about Floridawaterfowler.com since I dont know anything about that site.
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Chuck, thanks for the good news..

Scrubs...let me try one more time to explain this to you.And BTW, 16k registered duck hunters in Florida, less then 500 members of the ORG you refer to ...do the math ok.

Secondly, PETA likes to shut down hunting opp's throughout the USA.Sound similar to Mocc Island?

WHo is PETA in this situation?, and who is trying to protect YOUR rights as they currently are?

I hope your able to figure this out for yourself.

Just trying to protect YOUR future in hunting Mocc Island Florida buddy.....

You are answering my questions with questions and making unrelated comments that are shots at a prohunting organization.

And again I will ask. What good do you think the posts here are doing for hunting?

I think that you are passionate about hunting rights.

Again I will ask, how are the posts on FS helping hunting?

I am not questioning how you FEEL about hunting access or what your OPINIONS about hunting access. I am asking, is what you are typing here helping hunting?

Keep the infighting just that, infighting. FS is not a private forum and thus is not infighting....
    Scrubs, are you over the legal age?

Secondly, fight for new lands to be opened 24/7 with no restrictions.

3rd..leave the lands that are open 24/7 alone

4th..stop drinking that cool aid,its not good for the future of florida hunting.

5th..fight for habitat management and the rest will take care of itself.
    Stillinscrubs...the sad thing is Rich has and still does a lot of good stuff...and his postions are actually very close to mine....However, he has some sort of vendetta against UW-F....and sometimes anyone else who understands the futility of always maintaining "white or black" postions when working through the bureaucratic maze....and he gets off on a demonizing tirade which creates a lot of division and hard feelings among our hunting community.

We all want as much access to public land for hunting as we can get....and some of us work hard to get "every inch" we can however we can get it. This difficult battle at SWFWMD is going to end up with a few token "bow and family hunts" and "youth hunts" ....Just a beginning of a long and tedious fight against an intrenched anti hunting element.

So Chuck and Dennis and UW-F are attacked for "compromising"at SWFWMD...or, a entire new area for duck hunting, thousands of acres, is opened by SJRWMD last year with restrictions on the number of days per week...but NO QUOTAS...and somehow UW-F come under attack for accepting anything less than 24/7/365!

It is simply a "lose lose" situation some times when dealing with some individuals. I do not enjoy having to come onto these forums, and others, although I simply ignore some as being irrevalent, to counter the uncivil posts (and hope and wish others will not respond in an similar uncivil vein against those posts) and try to set the record straight for the casual veiwers who actually might believe the demonizing of UW-F or folks (some UW-F people and others who are not)who are actually spending their valuable time and treasure making the meetings and lobbying for the good of all hunters in Florida.