Moccasin Island

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
Anyone hunt it?

If so, some people are lobbying to make it open only a couple days a week.

Stay tuned for more information on how some of us plan to kill the idea!

Replies

• OysterbottomboyOysterbottomboy Posts: 414 Officer
    I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing, It would most likely keep the birds in there a little longer.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    i've got a website for you to join...
    maybe if more people did join this "said" website there wouldnt be so many googans hunting the roost every night and the same feeding holes every day.
    Welcome to Florida hunting ,learn to deal with it...not limit it
    I'm quite aware of Florida hunting. Unfortunately some people need to have there hands held in order to keep things nice.

Not trying to get in a pi$$ing match just putting in my .02 I genarally choose to hunt areas that are not as heavily pressured as Moc Isl and think that my success rate is directly related to that.
    scenario this: take your favorite fishing hole,the one you fish whenever you want....pretend that's your hunting hole.

Now, some guy wants to place a restriction as to when you can hunt your hole....and ooh BTW, the 2 days you can hunt it,your on call or at work..so you'll never be able to hunt your spot again.
    That would suck....

however there is 3 sides to every story.

Scenario this: You work all week 9-5 busting your A and do nothing but look forward to the weekend when you can hunt your favorite spot where you know there are birds. Unfortunately some goons hunted that exact spot Friday night and shot at birds well past shooting time. When you get to the blind your greeted with trampled down vegitation leaving little room for a natural blind and find countless birds stomped into the mud, left there for who knows what reason. Not to mention floating shell casings littered all around a 50 ft radius. and to your surprse the birds that morning are decoy shy... wonder why?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,992 AG
    That would suck....

however there is 3 sides to every story.

Scenario this: You work all week 9-5 busting your A and do nothing but look forward to the weekend when you can hunt your favorite spot where you know there are birds. Unfortunately some goons hunted that exact spot Friday night and shot at birds well past shooting time. When you get to the blind your greeted with trampled down vegitation leaving little room for a natural blind and find countless birds stomped into the mud, left there for who knows what reason. Not to mention floating shell casings littered all around a 50 ft radius. and to your surprse the birds that morning are decoy shy... wonder why?

OBB , You have wisdom........more than some who are trying to cause a stir. It is also apparent you're a local..and know the issue.
    The Duda deer lease guys sure would like some relief!

The best part is that "the shooter of Italian guns" is NOT a user...that's right...No skin in the game.....just some fodder to stir ****!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,002 Captain
    The fact that a few individuals have been lobbying for morning hunting and a few days rest for Moccasin Island is three years old......Most locals oppose the idea and that should prevent any restrictions by SJRWMD.....There are pros and cons for such "management", but putting restrictions on a public marsh runs counter to keeping public land open for all....Lots of the same arguements with "quality" deer management on public land with antler restrictions that can be seen as reduced opportunity for the public land hunter...You really need almost a consensus of the stakeholders to make any such rules...

If this topic was in a newspaper it would already be wrapped around dead fish long ago....
    So what's your official position as Executive Director Newton?Don't skate around,or I will call u out!

You don't vote as an organization, so what's the BOD's stance on this?

And to you JR, your absolutley correct..in this game, I have no skin.....but my skin represents EVERY marsh huntable by the public...so it is my skin,as so it should be yours,unless your a sellout to the "flock" my friend.
    BTW Newton,and or JR

We are requesting an official statement regarding the (voluntary),or requested closeures of marshes which have no restrictions and your OFFICIAL stance by your (waterfowl org),by the morning. Weather you requested it,or ANY of your members requested it, we want YOUR official statement as to what your position is as to asking for closeures on marshes which have no restrictions(Mocc Island-Area2) or any other for that matter.
    you can put it on letterhead or not...both would be preferred
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,285 Admiral
    Rich, you won't get it on letter head, but Hitch clearly stated earlier that...
    ...there has not and will not be any vote on limiting access on Mocc or elsewhere. It is not in UW-F's interest to limit access. It may be necessary to limit access on some venues, but not because it is our desire to do so. If it is required to keep a venue open or if it is desired by the controlling authority or agency, then we deal with it to obtain and continue access.

I talked to Doug yesterday and there are no plans to close Mocc.

Hitch

I think that's a clear statement.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
    Wow...a shocker...Rich involved with another internet rumor...the exposing of the troll...

Rich, it's great you went over to the Cubano maximo gang bango site...everyone here has you pegged and your credibility is totally spent...
    Over there...You'll be among other "outsiders" who are dismissed offhand....but don't worry...I'll be there to play.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    My position can be one thing...even as UW-F Executive Director....and the UW-F position can be totally opposite....sometimes happens, not often.

The UW-F Board of Directors has a history of wanting a large majority of UW-F Members in support of a vote...and tends not to vote otherwise unless a major tenant of the organization is at stake.

My job is to "know" the Board and what the votes would probably be on all issues. The UW-F Board has never voted to restrict hunting on a property that I know of...and I would expect that record to remain.

However, the UW-F Board does not have to vote on local issues, or any issue, unless the Members see good reason to do so....Until there is good reason to expect the SJRWMD is planning to make a change at MI the issue simply does not seem to come to the level of needing a Board vote. The UW-F Board votes only a handful of times per year...wisely not entering every fray and chosing to patiently "advise and consent" when appropriate.

"Calling the Board out" as in the above post is definitely counter productive as I do not recommend responses to those with records of trying to create controversy about UW-F.

John's statement is clearly within the UW-F "mantra" that "UW-F supports hunting on public land with a minimum of red tape and fees" and is the UW-F position on the matter.
    So do both you guys want to go on record saying nobody at (your website) acting as a regional director is pursuing this special intrest at MI?

I mean if it's a rumor,you surely would say say yes right?
    No one "acting" as a Regional Director and representing UW-F is pursuing anything related to adding restrictions at MI....How many times does it have to be said....UW-F is not involved...Period.

Rich, your trying to link UW-F to issues just because one or more of our hundreds of Members may be involved in one way or another makes no sense. Any organization has members involved with a myriad of actions that are not sanctioned by the organization, for or against....

I suggest you spend more time on constructive projects and quit wasting your breath and exposing yourself as having some sort of obsession problem critizising a group that is busy fighting for hunting rights and access to public land in Florida. Next thing you know you will be claiming UW-F is trying to "close down the WCAs"/////Whoops.....you already tried that stupid charge!!!

You simply have no respect from anyone who really is in the game.....

Missed again!
    Funny, I just got off the phone with one of the Regional Directors of your website.

He's a nice stand up guy,not afraid to say what's on his mind about MI. Although I do not agree with him, he has his thoughts I've got mine.
    Funny, I just got off the phone with one of the Regional Directors of your website.

He's a nice stand up guy,not afraid to say what's on his mind about MI. Although I do not agree with him, he has his thoughts I've got mine.

Since this whole thread was to smear UW-F....

And he told you?? ....that he was working as a regional director to get this done with the full support of UW-F ???...Now before you answer and lie....I spoke with Pat after you did...

so.... If you do fib...I will be calling Pat to out you here.

Remember...the police don't ask questions that they don't already know the answer too...we just like to guage peoples honesty.

Come on Rich.....we're waiting
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Crazy HorseCrazy Horse Posts: 498 Officer
    Who the F cares.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,477 Captain
    Who the F cares.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • ironeyesironeyes Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Who the F cares.

:funnypost
  • antlr-kingantlr-king Posts: 113 Officer
    how do you access moc isld? do you bike/walk the 3 or so miles in from the parking area at the end of wickham rd, or do you access from the river?
    i was told from the fwc officer at tm goodwin to give that place a try. that is where he prefers to hunt. i think ill break out the old bike and go for a ride..
    th_2011-05-2216_50_23.jpg?t=1306441945th_indianriver005.jpgth_farmhunting11-2010006.jpg
  • ChetChet Posts: 292 Deckhand
    N. Cook wrote: »
    My position can be one thing...even as UW-F Executive Director....and the UW-F position can be totally opposite....sometimes happens, not often.

I can see where a person can have one position and then another depending on what "hat" he wears. I see that a lot in people that lack conviction!

My job is to "know" the Board and what the votes would probably be on all issues. The UW-F Board has never voted to restrict hunting on a property that I know of...and I would expect that record to remain.

However, the UW-F Board does not have to vote on local issues, or any issue, unless the Members see good reason to do so....Until there is good reason to expect the SJRWMD is planning to make a change at MI the issue simply does not seem to come to the level of needing a Board vote. The UW-F Board votes only a handful of times per year...wisely not entering every fray and chosing to patiently "advise and consent" when appropriate.

This is crazy. I agree with Mr. Cook. "the issue simply does not seem to come to the level of needing a Board vote. Why waste time now letting SJRWMD know where UWF stands and make a clear seperation from the Org. and a rogue member/RD. After all, its not like this is a wiindmill issue or anything rising to that level of importance. Hell its only about restricting your hunting oppertunity. Get over it!
    First of all....any UW-F RD or any Member who has a pro or con position on an issue is NOT a "rogue" member. Our Members are not "mind dumbed robots" as some others may be...UW-F encourgages Members to be active in local issues with the agencies we deal with.

The "level of importance" is shown by the debate...pro and con...within the Membership.....Some lengthy and good arguements on both sides on the UW-F Members Issues Forum.

The UW-F Board will decide if a vote is appropriate, but any vote would probably be on a "proposed plan"....and at this time there does not seem to be any move by the District to put forth any plan as their comments have been to date that there will be no restrictions at MI.

This is a simple and common arguement about "quality" of hunt....ongoing with deer management discussions and other game management techniques.

Lots of room for differences of opinion.
  • vlcmsrfrvlcmsrfr Tallahassee, JupiterPosts: 214 Deckhand
    Antlr King,
    I only hunted MI the first couple years it was open before I moved. Never for ducks, but its a fairly easy bike ride all through the property to get where you want, then you just have to do some walking. I also would canoe down the canal and come around the lake side of the property and enter that way. Biking was quicker though.
    Lets not talk about "differences of opinion". You know as well as I that deleting and censorship is alive and well over on the other site. I brought it up with you and gave you examples. You never responded or got the post in question reposted.

Quality of hunt measured in body count. That is what the goal is here isn't it?
    "Quality" is "in the eye of the beholder"....see more ducks....shoot more ducks....have room to work ducks and decoy them...have a better variety of ducks...etc. etc....

But being "skunked" in an area that once held a lot of ducks is what creates these types of discussions...If the ducks were still there in numbers despite the 24/7 hunting no one would be complaining....

So you have to temper the noise level with the realities of public land hunting...There is really no "100 percent correct" solution.

As to UW-F Forums....there are three basic Moderators independent of the couple of other Moderators (who also are Officers and often in the "fray") who make almost all decisions on the content of posts and if they are to be edited, deleted or if a string is closed. Personally, I have no vote and I limit myself to "editing" out vulgar language, racial slurs or similar obvious " we need to get this off asap" stuff so as not to embarrass UW-F. It is amazing what people will post for all to see on the web!

Those three independent Moderators can put what I do back up if they wish...but never have as the content was always x-rated....

Where the UW-F Forums once were a bit "wild and wooly" a decision was made last year to tame them down and enforce the rules...No sexual content, no racial slurs, no personal attacks, etc., etc.....we also decided not to allow strings to just "keep on keeping on" with constant back and forths from a few individuals in "cat fights"....sometimes attacking each other, sometimes UW-F....These strings are either shut off or taken off....as is said: "poofed"!

These strings or posts are moved to a special Forum where the Moderators discuss and "vote" on what action to take. Sometimes the vote is to just put them back up whole, sometimes edited, sometimes to pull the entire string and other times to shut the string but leave it up....

The UW-F Forums continue to get over 4 million hits a month with several thousand individuals from all over....including a lot of international. The Forums are ranked in the Top 25% of the catagory.....not bad for a "little group of Florida duck hunters"......We want them to be informative and entertaining...but also "kid friendly".

The Members Only Forums are where a lot of the "give and take" occurs as UW-F is an "activist" organization and that means Members have their own ideas and opinions on issues and therefore use the forums for discussion....sometimes "lively" discussion....
    now that should answer your question right Chet:crowd
    N. Cook wrote: »

The UW-F Forums continue to get over 4 million hits a month with several thousand individuals from all over....including a lot of international. The Forums are ranked in the Top 25% of the catagory.....not bad for a "little group of Florida duck hunters"......We want them to be informative and entertaining...but also "kid friendly".

4 million hit s a month. Is that the modern way to put worth/strength on an organization. Your site gets about as many hits as Bevis and Butt Heads.

I prefer member retention as measuring tool.