Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Lake Worth Offshore 12/29

Was supposed to meet with ChampL today at my place to go offshore, but his phone(s) were not in service and he never showed...went out anyway, and paddled out trolling an x-rap and a dead ballyhoo. Saw lots of weeds, birds, and flying fish, but no predators. I went to take a picture with my phone and discovered that my brand new iPhone was completely destroyed because my Aquapac case had failed. For a second time. I had tested it the night before with a tissue inside and don't know how this happened, but this is the second time...that's a different story altogether. Anyway I was pissed and started heading back in, and stopped at around 250 yards from shore to troll along the beach. In a few minutes my two rods went off at the same time. I start reeling on one, hoping that the other one stays on. I reel in the fish pretty quickly and land it, cobia, about 15 pounds. I reel in my other rod, and it's slack, and I see another cobia, about the same size swimming away. I cast at it but it disappears quickly. I forgot my fish bag today so I quickly paddle to shore and drop it off at my house. I paddle back out and get hit again about 400 yards from shore using a Williamson sailfish squid lure, and fight this fish. This one is a bit bigger, maybe 25 pounds, and I bring him boatside. Before I can gaff it or pull it in, he gives a few headshakes and pulls free. Then a big fishing boat (named Black Gold I think?) notices the action and starts killing my spot. I paddle further offshore, but get no bites. I head back in with at least some dinner. I'd post pics but my phone is wrecked. I'll take a pic later on today when I find my cam. One for three for cobia. I say it was an okay day for my second trip ever offshore!

Replies