Lake Worth Offshore 12/29

Was supposed to meet with ChampL today at my place to go offshore, but his phone(s) were not in service and he never showed...went out anyway, and paddled out trolling an x-rap and a dead ballyhoo. Saw lots of weeds, birds, and flying fish, but no predators. I went to take a picture with my phone and discovered that my brand new iPhone was completely destroyed because my Aquapac case had failed. For a second time. I had tested it the night before with a tissue inside and don't know how this happened, but this is the second time...that's a different story altogether. Anyway I was pissed and started heading back in, and stopped at around 250 yards from shore to troll along the beach. In a few minutes my two rods went off at the same time. I start reeling on one, hoping that the other one stays on. I reel in the fish pretty quickly and land it, cobia, about 15 pounds. I reel in my other rod, and it's slack, and I see another cobia, about the same size swimming away. I cast at it but it disappears quickly. I forgot my fish bag today so I quickly paddle to shore and drop it off at my house. I paddle back out and get hit again about 400 yards from shore using a Williamson sailfish squid lure, and fight this fish. This one is a bit bigger, maybe 25 pounds, and I bring him boatside. Before I can gaff it or pull it in, he gives a few headshakes and pulls free. Then a big fishing boat (named Black Gold I think?) notices the action and starts killing my spot. I paddle further offshore, but get no bites. I head back in with at least some dinner. I'd post pics but my phone is wrecked. I'll take a pic later on today when I find my cam. One for three for cobia. I say it was an okay day for my second trip ever offshore!

Replies

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Nice work... And yep I always said them aqua packs suck, but everyone seems to love em...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    I keep my phone in a phone sized dry box, in my big dry box. I know it works becuase I've flipped my kayak and not a single drop got to my electronics.
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Way to go on those Cobes, that's a fish I haven't crossed paths with yet. Would love to take her out to dinner when we meet! Congrats.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Got a pic of the first cobia
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    Seriously get a plano sealed lock box. They retail for 10$ a piece and I put my phone in the box and have never had an issue 1. I have used it ALL summer and into winter and have never had a drop of fluid get into the box. Here is the link for it...http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_WaterProof_Storage_Box_3741_Deep/descpage-PLWPXD37.html

Good luck and grats on the Cobia!!
  • Offshore9393Offshore9393 Posts: 469 Officer
    How close were you to the lake worth pier? Just wondering cuz i live near there. I have really wanted to catch a cobe from my yak good job. To bad about the phone though.
    The weird thing is that I was using the aquapac for the whole week before and it was awesome while fishing inshore. You can use it while in the case, the touchscreen works, you can take photos, and make calls all without taking it out of the case. So it seemed like a dream. The moment I get offshore though, it destroys things.

And I live about 1.6 miles north of the Lake Worth pier according to Google maps. Just cruise parallel to the beach 200-300 yards off while trolling some bright lures and you'll hit the jackpot in no time. There were a lot out there today.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Sounds like a nice days fishing. Sorry about your phone.
  • Flat LinerFlat Liner Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Nice Cobe!! I'm dying to hook one of those of the yak.
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Produkt wrote: »
    The weird thing is that I was using the aquapac for the whole week before and it was awesome while fishing inshore. You can use it while in the case, the touchscreen works, you can take photos, and make calls all without taking it out of the case. So it seemed like a dream. The moment I get offshore though, it destroys things.

The problem with aquapacs is not water getting in from the outside, but condensation happening inside. If you continue to use one it will help to put a small towel or desiccant pack (like you see come in the box of a new pair of shoes) inside with your phone.

I'm going to be trying out the new aquabox (not same company as aquapac) for my iphone and see how it works.
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    I still stand by the drypak...has only let me down to user malfunction..aka..a hole from a hook, or just not sealing it lol
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    that's a catch you can be proud of; nice work
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
    bnz wrote: »
    The problem with aquapacs is not water getting in from the outside, but condensation happening inside.

If the end result is the same (phone ruined due to moisture) then the item is worthless. Aquapac got back to me and said a director will respond by Tuesday.