RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
I have. Back when I was in my twenties
I worked at a restaurant and I answered the
phone. A dude asked me my name and said
that he worked down the street at some
new electronics store. He said that they had
received a shipment of stereo speakers, and
the shipment had extras. He asked me if I wanted
some speakers at a serious discount. I said, "yes".

He said that he would need to the money up front.

$100 drove away that night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    I bought those **** Sea Monkeys. :(
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Speaker guys approached me in the Dr office parking lot yesterday. As they were leaving the driver says "I don't think he knew what we were offering." I replied "i know exactly what you're offering and I don't want it".

I did prepay partially for tree cutting/stump grinding and the guy drove off, supposedly to get a new saw but since it was a check I had is info from where he cashed it. I little visit from the PBSO and he was all willing to come back out and I have his daughter in law who he lives with's cell phone #. I will be here when he does and when he finishes he'll get a written trespass warning from me.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I bought a video camera that was shrinked wrapped in Boston from a guy, went to my car to open it up and there was a brick inside it.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Speaker guys approached me in the Dr office parking lot yesterday. As they were leaving the driver says "I don't think he knew what we were offering." I replied "i know exactly what you're offering and I don't want it".

I did prepay partially for tree cutting/stump grinding and the guy drove off, supposedly to get a new saw but since it was a check I had is info from where he cashed it. I little visit from the PBSO and he was all willing to come back out and I have his daughter in law who he lives with's cell phone #. I will be here when he does and when he finishes he'll get a written trespass warning from me.

Habla Inglesh?
    23895.gif
  • Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Posts: 1,421 Officer
    Let's see, I've been married almost 30 years. So, YEP, almost 30 years ago!!!!!! :)
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    I bought a video camera that was shrinked wrapped in Boston from a guy, went to my car to open it up and there was a brick inside it.

LOL I read that real quick with a fussy 4-month old on my lap and I thought it said "shrink wrapped in bacon" at first glance :)
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    The taxman scams me every day.
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Yes I got married.
  • Bruce LBBruce LB Posts: 3,604 Captain
    About 25 years ago I had a friend convince me into being an Amway distributor.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    I probably was by this man some 20 years ago...

ricardo-montalban-rip.jpg

Got a recorded call from him offering a vacation in Florida for two for $400. Good for a year. Wasn't a timeshare etc. etc. So I got through to the call center and they explained that it was bulk selling of rooms and flights. So I paid the money planning to use it in the summer.

When I called months later to book the deal, they said I now had to pay an "activation" fee, which was twice the original amount.

So I didn't bother and lost the original $400.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    Are you kidding? Our group had a friend that swallowed the Amway pitch...and the rest of us never looked at him quite the same way again...

I'm pretty good at smelling scams...
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    ...Ok , not completely immune... Once we got some free tickets for a gambling cruise. We don't gamble so it was going to be a free boat ride basically...got to the place and they had a "boarding fee" which coincidentally was about the same as the tickets normally costs...lol
    I bought some ocean front property in Arizona before.
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
    I bought some dog kennels in Austin before.

AHA!
    hebegb wrote: »
    AHA!

Play nice.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    Yes. The inner city dude that came to the door asking me to buy a magazine to help him get out of the projects and into a successful life

I bit, never got it.

In fact, everyone I know who has bit never got it.

Those punks come around about every two months.
    They have an answer for EVERYTHING you could possible say to get you to buy (haven't tried the ol "how about a 9 up your **** to get off my porch" routine yet, but I imagine they has an answr for that too)
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • springnutsspringnuts Posts: 1,354 Officer
    New Orleans. Twice.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Grand Central Station, NYC I bought a fake gold necklace for $10.00.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    I was in a store in Gainesville long ago and two black guys walk in and ask if I want to buy a $200 boom box for only $60.

For some reason I said yes, and gave him $60...which was about my life savings at the time...must have been drunk....

Anyway, he looks at me and says...hey, you only gave me $40 as he shows me two twenties in his hand...they were too big to scrap with so I just took my $40 and left.

Learned a valuable lesson though..always count the money out as you hand it to anybody you buy from...or better yet, dont buy anything from strangers....
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Learned a valuable lesson though..always count the money out as you hand it to anybody you buy from...or better yet, dont buy anything from two black guys..

You got took for $20
    You got took for $20

And you're quite crafty with your math skills!
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    Eric, you grabbed the forty from the dude?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    And you're quite crafty with your math skills!

Thank you
    RRR wrote: »
    Eric, you grabbed the forty from the dude?

No, he stuffed it in my hand.

I never got my paws on the boom box.

I did wait outside for a while, fuming and thinking of running the punks over with my 79' Regal though.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    I went to Home Depot and was approached by two woman saying they needed a ride. Hot ladies. When they got in the car they jumped all over me and did naughty things. I guess while I wasn't looking one of them grabbed my wallet. That same week I lost 3 more wallets at home depot...Go figure :)
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Ol Mucky wrote: »
    Yes. The inner city dude that came to the door asking me to buy a magazine to help him get out of the projects and into a successful life

I bit, never got it.

x2
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Ol Mucky wrote: »

Those punks come around about every two months.
    They have an answer for EVERYTHING you could possible say to get you to buy (haven't tried the ol "how about a 9 up your **** to get off my porch" routine yet, but I imagine they has an answr for that too)

I actually stumped one once. He was doing his deal. He finally said, "You live in a nice house. I want to do the same. You had to start somewhere as well." I said, "You are correct, I joined the Marine Corps.". He turned around and walked away.

Also, don't know if it applies out there but here, I got the problem solved. Folks need a soliciters permit to go door to door out here. If they have one, they can't ring your door bell if you have a "no soliciting" sign by the door. So, if someone does ring the bell, I ask if they have a permit. Problems solved.

I work from home and my den looks over the front of the house. The no soliciting sign really does wonders. They walk up, see the sign, turn and leave.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Abelman wrote: »
    The no soliciting sign really does wonders. They walk up, see the sign, turn and leave.

In Florida, if you ask them if they saw the sign, they ask you so what, who's smoking?
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,905 Admin
    Yeah. A "Friend" said he needed $400 to buy some supplies for his shop. Said he would have them all sold within a week and I'd get my money back. Took the only $400 I had and loaned it. A week went by and no money. Went to his shop and his inventory was gone. Asked him for the money and said he didn't have it. Chased him for months before I moved out of town. Went to his shop and he tried to trade me some Interstate batteries.

Last time I ever loaned money or anything else that I couldn't afford to lose or repair.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz