New Native Mariner

A while back I ordered a Native Mariner. A few days ago I picked it up from the shop.
329649_2573566652487_1053910975_32557183_1725509747_o.jpg
Today I had planned on taking it out but the wind and the cold weather stopped those plans pretty quickly, so I headed to the kayak shop and picked up a few things to rig the yak up with. Tossed on an anchor trolley, a stick it pin, and a few scotty rod holders.328957_2582464594930_1053910975_32561280_501833221_o.jpg
Love my Native's, notice the Native Ultimate up on the wall.
:USA:fishing

Replies

• FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    As an old Whitewater canoer i am drawn to the whole line
  • grundymungrundymun Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    How is the drive system working out? I was steered way form the Native, however I liked it so much. I went to get one and the Kayak shop told me if I got one they would be seeing me quite often because the drive system breaks down very often. I ended getting a Hobie Outback. Let me know, I still like them.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,943 Captain
    they re did the whole line Of the propel system. they have all new bearings and gears they are great!
    grundymun wrote: »
    How is the drive system working out? I was steered way form the Native, however I liked it so much. I went to get one and the Kayak shop told me if I got one they would be seeing me quite often because the drive system breaks down very often. I ended getting a Hobie Outback. Let me know, I still like them.
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I like to here what you thing about the Mariner after a few trips out.
  • PlightPlight Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I like to here what you thing about the Mariner after a few trips out.

Me too! Any feedback would be awesome, the Mariner looks really good.
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Can that drive system come in and out of the water on the fly if you need to cross a sandbar or something?
  • PlightPlight Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Can that drive system come in and out of the water on the fly if you need to cross a sandbar or something?

I think the answer is yes. I saw a video on how it's done, only issue I see is that the pedals would sticking up into the kayak (as you see in the picture above) and may be a hazard for lines being caught and tangled etc...
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    Just watched a video about it. Looks awesome. I want one lol
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    I'd like some feedback from someone who has taken it in the ocean. Anyone? Pete-saw you in one in a video. Have you had it out to sea?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • One more castOne more cast Posts: 145 Officer
    I have been looking at those as an alternative to the hobie, have you taken it out beyond the breakers yet? Also have you had any problems with it now that its a few months old?
  • joedaddyjoedaddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I too am curious how that boat with the pedal drive handles a current, also if it creates any pressure points on your rear end after a long day.
    (since recumbent exercise bikes seem to do me more harm than good)
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    It is more a inshore kayak but I have been taking it offshore. Not as fast as a Hobie but it will do 4 mph. The seat is the reason I take it out on long offshore trips. No pressure points at all.
    I like to see the drive unit in a Native kayak made for offshore.