Any of my Canon friends looking for one of these lenses?

Canon love, from B&H. I got this as a spam blast from B&H. Thought someone might be interested in this lens. Looks like a fairly good deal. Is Canon soon to come out with a replacement?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?N=0&Q=&O=&Ntt=SHCA7020028L&A=endecaSearch

Replies

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,844 Admiral
    That's a great lens. I've shot a ton with it.

They must have recently raised the price quite a bit to $2300.

Makes $1900 seem like a bargain. Well.....not really....
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    That's the version II of that lens and fairly new. It's like Nikon's version II or their 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. When Canon recently released it, it was the same price as Nikon's. $2395. A $400 reduction is truly a bargain. This is not the older and less expensive 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM. Look at the description.

They no longer list the version 1 which sold for less. Like Nikon, the version 1 IS claimed 2-3 stops in stabilization while the version 2 claims "up to 4 stops" stabilization. I'm not sure you get that much, but that's what both claim and is the differentiator between the two versions.

Over the past couple of years and still going, both Nikon and Canon are upgrading all their pro-level telephotos and telephoto zooms. You have to look carefully for the IS II or just IS in the case of Canon, and VRII or just VR in the case of Nikon. You don't want to pay the same price for each. The version IIs are anywhere from $500 to a couple of thousand more depending on the lens. Most of it was an excuse to jack the price because of the disparity between the Yen and Dollar, unfortunately. With some of the version one and twos there was a real difference as in the 70-200 lenses. With others like my 300 f/2.8, there was nothing really.

For example, I bought the Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR about a year before Nikon released the 300 f/2.8 AFS VRII for over a thousand dollars more. There was absolutly no difference at all. Nothing. In fact my VR is actually VRII and after the new lens came out, Nikon called the older one VRI, but it wasn't. They don't say VR and VRII on the lens. It's just in the catalogue. Notice the Nikon Catalogue from about that time. LOL. It's funny. The first picture is the old model. The bottom shows both in the catalogue. They both say VRII. It was a gimmick, I think.

vrii-2.jpg

vrii.jpg
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • XpierratXpierrat Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    For what it is worth I am selling off most of my Cannon glass and have the version 1 70 -200 lens condition is 10/10 functionally and 9/10 cosmetic have the original box and all that came from the factory
    I am in the ft lauderdale area and would like a south Fl buyer so we can meet in person also have some Alien Bee 800 units stands, soft boxs etc

Asking 1599 for the lens
    [email protected] or
    text with any questions please
    704-562-4222
    Rick

By Dawns Early Light
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,844 Admiral
    I could use some Alien Bees....
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig T.,

Guidenet wrote: »
    That's the version II of that lens and fairly new. It's like Nikon's version II or their 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. When Canon recently released it, it was the same price as Nikon's. $2395. A $400 reduction is truly a bargain. This is not the older and less expensive 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM. Look at the description.

They no longer list the version 1 which sold for less. Like Nikon, the version 1 IS claimed 2-3 stops in stabilization while the version 2 claims "up to 4 stops" stabilization. I'm not sure you get that much, but that's what both claim and is the differentiator between the two versions.

Over the past couple of years and still going, both Nikon and Canon are upgrading all their pro-level telephotos and telephoto zooms. You have to look carefully for the IS II or just IS in the case of Canon, and VRII or just VR in the case of Nikon. You don't want to pay the same price for each. The version IIs are anywhere from $500 to a couple of thousand more depending on the lens. Most of it was an excuse to jack the price because of the disparity between the Yen and Dollar, unfortunately. With some of the version one and twos there was a real difference as in the 70-200 lenses. With others like my 300 f/2.8, there was nothing really.

For example, I bought the Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR about a year before Nikon released the 300 f/2.8 AFS VRII for over a thousand dollars more. There was absolutly no difference at all. Nothing. In fact my VR is actually VRII and after the new lens came out, Nikon called the older one VRI, but it wasn't. They don't say VR and VRII on the lens. It's just in the catalogue. Notice the Nikon Catalogue from about that time. LOL. It's funny. The first picture is the old model. The bottom shows both in the catalogue. They both say VRII. It was a gimmick, I think.

vrii-2.jpg

vrii.jpg

This MK II lens is built on the ef 70-200 IS L f4 design that came out about 2 years ago....
    MoD Photog tested the f4 version thoroughly and were indeed able to get 4 stops faster with the f4....
    the f4 also had a bunch of new glass and optical formulas for the f4...and a whole new IS system...
    i have shot with one all day and was impressed...

it was only a matter of time before canon was going to come out with f2.8 version, and a year later they did....
    now maybe the old f2.8 will come down in price to where i can swing one, but the f4 is sooo sweet.....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    I'll probably buy the new 70-200 f/2.8 VRII AFS soon. I love my 80-200 f/2.8 so it seems like a waste of money just for VR which I don't really care that much about. Like the Canon, the Nikon is a wonderful lens though.

Tonight at midnight, Nikon is supposed to announce the new D4. We'll have to see.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig T.....
    Guidenet wrote: »
    I'll probably buy the new 70-200 f/2.8 VRII AFS soon. I love my 80-200 f/2.8 so it seems like a waste of money just for VR which I don't really care that much about. Like the Canon, the Nikon is a wonderful lens though.

Tonight at midnight, Nikon is supposed to announce the new D4. We'll have to see.

i have become a believer in IS....
    i have shot too many images that would have been blurred had it not been for IS....

try snagging a gannet during lift off while standing in a moving boat...
    that was my epiphany....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002