Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

detachable kingfish weight

Courious if anyone has a quick way to attach a smaller fishing weight to a medium size spinner (15 lb) and have it be quickly removeable at boat during fight. I know Bouncer or someone can give me a quick solution.

Would like to have the smaller 1 to 3 ounce weight be removeable about 15-20 feet away from hook. I tried rubberband last trip and it worked about half the time and slid down to the hook the other half.

Want to stay away from triple swivel because i want my 7 year old to be able to reel/fight and be able to remove the weight 15-20 feet away from hook.

Long line clip is an option but is bulky. Do they make a weight/rig that can be attached/detached without much effort?

Replies

• GRSCGRSC Senior Member Hypoluxo FLPosts: 942 Officer
    Double some nose wire - run thru egg sinker and make a few wraps at each end around main line however far back you like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Senior Member The BeachPosts: 5,779 Admiral
    stick with the rubber band. you may have to double it or find egg sinkers with smaller/larger diameter holes. pull it tight so the rubber band is wedged in the sinker, that will keep it from sliding on you.
  • Deep PenetrationDeep Penetration Member Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Stick with a larger sized rubber band. Rig it to break away. Make a loop with main line. Then stick the loop through the sinker. Cut a small piece of the rubber band and pull it through the loop in the main line that protruding through the sinker. Pull it tight so it holds. When a king hits it will pull the rubber band through the sinker and the weight will fall into the abyss. This way you won't have to worry about removing a sinker during the fight.
  • snookudasnookuda Member Posts: 43 Deckhand
    thanks guys,

im goning to try deeps idea, sounds quick and easy.
  • kc hunterkc hunter Senior Member Dania beachPosts: 319 Officer
    lead is to expencive to be just falling off
  • Deep PenetrationDeep Penetration Member Posts: 64 Deckhand
    There isn't a single one of us that got into fishing because of how economical it is. Great mentality, lets always rig wire leaders while mutton fishing......we dont want to lose any hooks to any sharks that might be around. If you want to fish, you have to do it the right way. In his case, its rigging a break-away sinker.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Senior Member Pompano Beach, FL.Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Deep's got it.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Senior Member S. FlaPosts: 1,718 Captain
    I have used both of the methods above with success, but there is one more method worth mentioning. You can use some epoxy glue to fasten some small plastic tubes into various weight egg sinkers. You will have to drill out the sinker hole to make it a little larger to accommodate the plastic tube. Leave about 2.5 inches of the tube protruding from the sinker. Then rig your fishing line through the sinker and tube and hole the line in place up on the tube with a small black dental rubber band. When the fish hits the line will pull out of the dental rubber band and the sinker will slide down to the hook during the fight.
    Giimoozaabi