Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Epic Day in The Everglades National Park

scottbrownscottbrown MemberMiami FLPosts: 64 Deckhand
Unfortunately, my family and I have fell on some hard times with the unexpected death of my amazing mother. In an attempt to soothe some of our grief, my dad and I decided to make a trip to Flamingo and go after the usual winter suspects such as Reds, Trout, Black Drum and maybe a Spanish
Mackerel or two. We arrived around a little later than my liking, but got to our first spot and busted a couple 15-16 inch Trout on GULP! Jigs and live Shrimp on Hookups. We maneuvered around The Cape and headed into The Shark River area. We were handsomely rewarded when we arrived at our second spot by a nice outgoing tide and schools of large mullet milling on the shoreline we had planned on
working the night before. As soon as we arrived I knew we were about to bust some fish! The Reds
were mixed in with large Silver Mullet and we caught slot Reds for about an hour straight on Hookups and Knocker Rigs with good sized frisky Shrimp from Don’s Bait and Tackle. The largest was about 26
inches and it was absolutely remarkable how happy these particular Redfish were. To be honest, I
don’t think we could have spooked the school if we tried.

The bite slowed as the tide began to slack, so we decided to head out to the Gulf and chum up some Mackerel and whatever else might show up in our slick. We anchored up in 10ft of water and let our chum do the work but the bite wasn’t what I expected. We caught a couple large Spanish, Silver
Trout and 2 dozen Jacks and headed for the backcountry. On the way back we stumbled upon the
larger model of Jack Crevalle’s, crashing Pilchards in The Little Shark River and landed a 12 pound
bruiser on a Silver and Blue Rapala Flat Rap. We explored a little and eventually found a deeper
mangrove shoreline that had a strong incoming tide whipping around a point and it was absolutely
stacked with 15-19 inch Speckled Sea trout and smaller Reds. My dads jig got slammed by what he
believed was a nice Snook, but he managed to get off about 10 feet from the boat. There goes our
slam! We hit a few other spots in Oyster Bay and Whitewater and pulled out a few more slot reds and Trout and called it a day. In all we must have caught 30-40 Trout, 10 Redfish, a couple Spanish
Mackerel and countless Jacks and Ladyfish. Backcountry Slam or not, it was an epic day of flats
fishing and the best part about it was the fact that I got to share it with my pops during a time when we needed it the most. Everglades National Park is truly one of a kind.

Replies