Shot and released with 300 mm.

Replies

• kmf600kmf600 Posts: 188 Officer
    I was going to say the same think about Cade's Cove in Tennessee. I have even seen bears that were feet away from my car and never moved or flinched. I'll see if I can find pictures of them.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Most all of my deer pictures are of them extremly still. No flinching or blinking.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Interesting how he doesn't show even the slightest stain on his tarsals
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    ducknfish wrote: »
    Interesting how he doesn't show even the slightest stain on his tarsals
    I noticed that too.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    I third that comment.

Nice pics, I wonder how old he is. He looks really young in some shots, then really old in others, sure is FAT!

Seriously I don't know how I haven't quarreled with CptMike if he is all that bad...
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    IMG_0737.jpg
    same deer, 3 hours later, lol
    this is in N. Florida too
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,122 AG
    Just thought I would share this, I have a couple acquaintances that I know, that are biologists in Quebec Canada with the Natural Resoures department up there...This is a Video they shot on Anticosti Island in the town of Port Menuier....keep in mind that although very tame, this is a totally wild deer...all deer in and around town are totally protected....but on the rest of the island they are fair game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzwWvsxlsY
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    Totally protected and totally wild. Your dog is totally wild if you don't have a fenced yard in that case.
  • TysonCTysonC Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Totally protected and totally wild. Your dog is totally wild if you don't have a fenced yard in that case.

Completely different scenario. A dog (domesticated) is a kept animal, fed in close proximity to a handler that has developed a working relationship with the animal and has integrated each other into a pack structure. Regardless of a fence, the dichotomy of the relationship is completely different.
  • BuckDaddyBuckDaddy Posts: 644 Officer
    osprey11 wrote: »
    Talk to the rangers. Dont take my word for it I use corn. And quit calling me shirley!

:grin Osprey-- he called you "surly" not "shirley" ... :grin

SURLY (def.) 1: menacing or threatening in appearance <surly weather>, 2 obsolete : arrogant, imperious, 3: irritably sullen and churlish in mood or manner : crabbed

Gotta' watch the Capt. ... he's a sly one...
  • SportsmanSportsman Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Beautiful buck! Nice pics!:beer
  • CptMikeCptMike Posts: 286 Officer
    Speaking of the "Photography Forum", I would very much like to see clear shots of the background.....ground layout/conditions, VEGETATION, etc. Any chance you could post some of these with a clear, in focus view of the background?

A general somewhat unrelated comment, but maybe it is related since it was mentioned that these deer had crossed from Cumberland Island:

We constantly hear that the deer used to "restock" Georgia came from Michigan and other Upper lake States, but that is totally in error. There were a dozen or so deer from Wisconsin released in one central Georgia county 40+ years ago, but the deer used to restock Georgia came from the Coastal Islands from Savannah to the Florida line! The wildlife biologist most responsible for the successful restocking program was Jack Crockford, a very good friend and hunting companion of mine. He retired as Director of Georgia Game and Fish. Jack died about 4 months ago at age 86 or 87, and with him died a wealth of knowledge that would have been valuable in increasing our native Bobwhite population.

Though not having had the privilege of meeting Jack Crockford his contributions to conservation are legendary. In addition to his success distributing the barrier island whitetails throughout Ga., and acclaimed as the Father of the Ga. Whitetail restoration he also developed the “Cap-Chur” gun, an adapted air rifle designed to shoot drug darts to safely immobilize wild animals for research and relocation. All such dart guns used today are descendants of his early work.

It is likely that Cumberland Island whitetails were part of Jack Crockford’s restoration efforts.

You probably also know Dr. Larry Marchington (now retired) from the UG School of Forestry or Dr. Victor Nettles (now retired)UG College of Veterinary Medicine who led the Southeast Cooperative Disease Study (USDA). Both are renowned experts on the Whitetail and have made significant contributions to our understanding of these magnificent creatures. I’ve been fortunate to have collaborated with them on a couple projects.

It is unfortunate that so few contemporary sportsmen know so little of the plight of America’s upland game species at the end of the 19th century and the herculean efforts that some made to save and restore the plundered wildlife.
    The "redneck way".........just so long as something winds up dead.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 901 Officer
    Whats unfortunate is someone with your knowledge turning most away with your attitude. Its your life do with it what you want!

Hobbit free zone!!

osprey11 wrote: »
    Whats unfortunate is someone with your knowledge turning most away with your attitude. Its your life do with it what you want!
    So osprey11, what part of my attitude in this thread bothers you?

First rattled in for Y2K12........from a seriously fogged lens on a heavy morning dew.
    Took thirty seconds to respond……..hard wired.

DSC_8558.jpg

DSC_8560.jpg
  • TysonCTysonC Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    CptMike - How do you go about rattling? I've never been able to get it to work.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,104 Officer
    TysonC wrote: »

It usually starts with a derogatory comment
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,285 Admiral
    It usually starts with a derogatory comment

:Spittingcoffee
    Now THAT was funny!:grin
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • ponderosa pirateponderosa pirate Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Rattling is not all that hard. I rattled this in this morning. Shot it with my 7 year old's nikon coolpix. Notice the bristling hair and the hump on it's back. Hard wired for sure!!
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Very cool pixs, thanks for sharing. Not to threadjack, But here is a short vid. I took of a calf elk we thought was sick/injured and almost put down. Cow tags were all filled(3)

th_SPARK1027-11007.jpg
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    We put corn in my sons pockets..

bradydeer.jpg
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Now you went and did it.
    looks like he's enjoying all the attention.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    those are 2 BIG bucks..i've got a couple pics when they shed their velvet.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,875 Moderator
    TysonC wrote: »

You don't have to create as much noise as you might think. Think about what's happening in the fight: SLAM!, push, brush rustling, more pushing, release, repeat. This process might only happen once or twice. It doesn't take long for the lesser buck to realize he's beat and run off. Also don't underestimate the importance of having some brush noise. Its not always necessary but last year I had a couple bucks sparring just out of sight and I couldn't grunt or rattle them in to save my life. I reached back and started scratching the pine I was in while hitting the rattle bag and the buck came right in immediately afterwards.
    Technique, sequence or volume is not why most hunters fail at rattling.
    Here is where cpt crunch is looking to hurt the hunters that don't get he is a peta member. He is going to give you advice that suits his purposes. Will his unhunted deer respond to any antlers clicked together, maybe, but he doesn't care he is just shooting pictures. He is not hunting a trophy, he is not after the best deer he can get.

I have rattled in numerous bucks myself and have through the years found that the sound of the antlers matters. And this is why I switched to the front set of anlters in the picture below. They have a deeper sound and the dominant bucks in an area will respond to them and ignore the higher pitched sound of a lesser bucks antlers.

IMG_1858.jpg

I found these two bucks locked together back in 1994 while muzzle loader hunting. I use the closer rack as my rattling horns in Ohio as they are trophy class and create a deep sound. I have shot several smaller bucks who responded to them and missed or not gotten shots on 170 class bucks who responded to them also (just not lucky with the big boys.)

Don't listen to cpt crunch and his tame buck stories. He would be the guy telling you to go down to the local watering hole and wave a few $5 bills in the air to get the girls attention.

As for rattling in Ohio. I only ever had a response in the late pre rut early rut period of 11/2-11/8. Not that a few days either way or different bucks might respond differently, but I never rattled in a buck outside of these dates yet I rattled almost everyday from about 10/31-11/24 each year barring class schedules and tests ect. I could go to the local petting zoo and the unpressured unhunted bucks would respond all year long.

But it is much better when a buck you are hunting comes running in full speed from 500 yards and stops 30 yards in front of you looking for a fight before you drop him with a heart shot. I once rattled in a deer from close to a mile across a huge bean field. I can assure you I was hitting those antlers together with all I had in me. I put heavy socks on the ends of the antlers because even with gloves on I would cut my hands on the sticker points.

I took bolt cutters and cut the brow tines off my rattling antlers because of puncture wounds.

Scrubs

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,875 Moderator
    CptMike wrote: »
    Technique, sequence or volume is not why most hunters fail at rattling.

Then please enlighten us. I know I managed to leave out timing and setup...probably the most important factors.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 901 Officer
    No pressure tame deer!

Hobbit free zone!!

Here is where cpt crunch is looking to hurt the hunters that don't get he is a peta member. He is going to give you advice that suits his purposes. Will his unhunted deer respond to any antlers clicked together, maybe, but he doesn't care he is just shooting pictures. He is not hunting a trophy, he is not after the best deer he can get.

I have rattled in numerous bucks myself and have through the years found that the sound of the antlers matters. And this is why I switched to the front set of anlters in the picture below. They have a deeper sound and the dominant bucks in an area will respond to them and ignore the higher pitched sound of a lesser bucks antlers.

IMG_1858.jpg

I found these two bucks locked together back in 1994 while muzzle loader hunting. I use the closer rack as my rattling horns in Ohio as they are trophy class and create a deep sound. I have shot several smaller bucks who responded to them and missed or not gotten shots on 170 class bucks who responded to them also (just not lucky with the big boys.)

Don't listen to cpt crunch and his tame buck stories. He would be the guy telling you to go down to the local watering hole and wave a few $5 bills in the air to get the girls attention.

As for rattling in Ohio. I only ever had a response in the late pre rut early rut period of 11/2-11/8. Not that a few days either way or different bucks might respond differently, but I never rattled in a buck outside of these dates yet I rattled almost everyday from about 10/31-11/24 each year barring class schedules and tests ect. I could go to the local petting zoo and the unpressured unhunted bucks would respond all year long.

But it is much better when a buck you are hunting comes running in full speed from 500 yards and stops 30 yards in front of you looking for a fight before you drop him with a heart shot. I once rattled in a deer from close to a mile across a huge bean field. I can assure you I was hitting those antlers together with all I had in me. I put heavy socks on the ends of the antlers because even with gloves on I would cut my hands on the sticker points.

I took bolt cutters and cut the brow tines off my rattling antlers because of puncture wounds.

Scrubs

Oh what fun.

Your obsession with strip clubs and watering holes antics might be impressive were this not a hunting forum. I’m sure you’re quite the expert with waving $5 bills and the great relationships you have with the dancers.

Your antler pics are impressive probably more so on live animals but you do demonstrate there’s more than one way to harvest them.
    By the way Florida is not Ohio and the rut dynamic is vastly different. I respect your experience though I would be very confident in rattling bucks well outside the dates you prescribe. They don’t read the calendar and I’ve hade dissimilar results in neighboring West Virginia.

With all your lecturing others on the Native Americans I would have thought you knew the natives had been attracting (rattling) whitetails for thousands of years with just sticks. They probably hadn’t heard much about deeper sound, higher pitch or read your book. I think you’re missing a great business opportunity….the stillinscurbs signature magnum extreme rattling bag. Buck Boom Bag. Scrub Bag.

The size, pitch, volume or sequence is not why most fail at rattling.
    james 14 wrote: »
    Then please enlighten us. I know I managed to leave out timing and setup...probably the most important factors.

Scrubs will soon fill you in or maybe your antlers just aren't big enough.
    james 14 wrote: »
    CptMike wrote: »
    I never had any intention of helping anyone on the forum, I just like to taunt hunters.

Fixed it for ya crunch....