Crafty critters

Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,492 Admiral
Was sitting in the stand last night and about 5:15 ish the deer started to move.
I have two solid shooting lanes, and couple smaller opportunities; its a decent area.

So I'm scanning left/right, left/right, and then I look due south and see a chest and two legs in between two oaks.
Funny how they just show up like that.
Anyways, its about 110 yard in one of the primary shooting lanes.....EXCEPT hes still behind those two large oaks. I can see all chest, front legs and a tad of his neck.
Not his head or horns or butt.
We have a 6pt minimum on the property so I can't shoot despite having the perfect shot until I can verify :banghead
So he just stands there (not even close to downwind of me) for a solid 5 minutes, he didn't move a smidgen. I'm waiting, waiting.....then he just turns and casually runs off the way he came.
Funny how they "know" something isn't right, and how often they never fully present themselves.

To make matters worse I got busted about 15 minutes later!!! (I was on my best behavior last night to remain VERY still) The deer was dead downwind (I was sweating big time yesterday before I got in my stand, I was soaking wet), so I guess I can understand if he winded me.

Still sux.
When will we get some freakin cold weather!!! Need the darn rut to kick in, help make them boys get stupid!
I have a much bigger and more powerful button

Replies

• 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    So you never got a look at his headgear?
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,939 Admiral
    with this hot weather,you got to move slow going in,and dress light going in.Bring a change of clothes and a ziplock to put your old stuff in when you get to your sit area. Believe me it helps
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,492 Admiral
    nope.
    I saw a brief flash of white when he bounded away (coulda been inside of ears, who knows)
    It was bigger body than the does around and had a bit more belly.
    "He" exhibited buck like behavior. They tend to move very slowly into areas sometimes taking 45 minutes to move 50 yards' step, wait, wait, wait, wait, etc. Scent checking scrapes in the area or for danger. It was interesting experience.

When I dressed it was shady and breezy, and I figured the temp would drop toward the evening. No sooner did I start walking, sun came out, breeze stopped, climbed up my climber...........dripping....
    Your right I SHOULD have prepared better...........bad error on my part.

Guess the good news is.........I'll have to go out again I suppose :banana
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    That's worse than seeing deer cam pictures with no heads, big bodies and greasy glands on the back legs.